Dupont State Forest becomes DuPont State Recreational Forest- Mtbr.com

WNC Native
    Cool, glad it went through.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Trans Times article

http://www.transylvaniatimes.com/cgi...11132485970928

Many mountain bikers worked behind the scenes with FODF members and others to make this happen. Thanks to those who sat through several meetings and help with the strategy:
    Chuck Ramsey, Karen Into (current PAS president), John and Laura Williams, JoJo Keen and myself were involved in these efforts.

Many mountain bikers called in or wrote letters/emails to elected officials stating support for this new designation, NC's first State Recreational Forest. Thanks to anyone who took time out from your normal schedule to help make a difference.

While we don't know yet what this new designation really means, at a minimum it means trail management will not change greatly (which would have not been the case with state park involvement).

DuPont is a good example of what can happen when folks roll up sleeves and work collectively. 10+ years ago we persuaded state elected officials to use eminent domain to acquire the waterfalls track from a very powerful developer and protect the heart of the forest from a gated community. Current times we have again affected the fate of DuPont by urging elected officials again to take measures and recognize DuPont for what the people and visitors see DuPont as: an important recreational facility.

We have made great strides in the past 10+ years improving the trail system and making it more sustainable and more fun/enjoyable for the recreational users of the forest. We will continue those efforts including a SORBA work weekend coming up July 8-10.

Mountain bikers have become the number 1 visitor to DuPont for the past several years which is great to see. That gives us an importance that we don't have many other places. Additional, readers of Blue Ridge Outdoors have voted DuPont as the number one mountain bike trail system in the SE twice in the past 5 years.

We have many other plans to improve and expand the trail system in DuPont and I hope many of you will join us in making that a reality.

Woody

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Mountain bikers have become the number 1 visitor to DuPont for the past several years which is great to see. That gives us an importance that we don't have many other places.
    Woody
    ...and we're among the most active VOLUNTEERS on DSRF, which adds clout to our voice with the Forest's managers!

TZ
    Geriatric mountain biker and trail maintainer... ...with digital braking!

i ride a bicycle
    Coming from VA to spend 4 days checking DuPont out / tomorrow (its after midnite! so today !) thats great news and hats off to the locals mtbr for there work.

Support Pisgah Area Soba
    Just wanted to let you know mtbbc, Ridgeline trail will be closed on the 8th and 9th. Click here to see.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006