Dupont in the rain?- Mtbr.com
    DFL

Dupont in the rain?

I headed to Dupont next weekend, and it looks like it's supposed to rain Wednesday-Friday, with me riding on Saturday. How well do the trails drain? Should I think about postponing my trip for another day?
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by askibum02 View Post
    I headed to Dupont next weekend, and it looks like it's supposed to rain Wednesday-Friday, with me riding on Saturday. How well do the trails drain? Should I think about postponing my trip for another day?
    depends on the rain. I dunno how much it can handle, but I have ridden it in light rain before and it shrugged that off. couple things going for it - of course the Cedar Rock area has lots of slickrock that isn't affected by rain, but many other trails are pretty sandy. Not all trails are that sandy, though. It will probably matter a good deal which trails you want to ride.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I would reconsider a later time as the trails will be going through a thaw in the next couple days and then rain after that. You will just rut them all up.

BTW the Cedar Rock/Big Rock trail has sections that are smoothed granite but a lot of the loop is dirt also which will likely be soft/mud.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Generally really well IMO, there are a few spots that get a bit mushy with consistency, but they are pretty few and far between. I've ridden it when it's pretty wet, after some major rains, and not had too much trouble. The trail surface drains out really well, I can only think of once it was too wet to ride and that was after 6 inches of snow melted and we had several days of rain after that. It helps that it gets a lot of sunlight in this time of year, too.

That said, it's been frozen solid here the last week or more. We haven't had a lot of rain but the ground will soften some from the thaw, which will be compounded by the rain this week. It will be wet, but I don't think it'll be that bad. It's hard to say for sure, though, because we haven't had a freeze like this in a while (not since I've been coming up here/living here).

It's also worth considering that forecasts this early in the week are unpredictable. They may predict rain that is scattered or a light drizzle, which wouldn't have much of an impact. If you are flexible, then I'd play it by ear until Weds or Thurs, then get an impression of what the conditions are like and get a much more accurate forecast.

DFL
    I'm planning on riding Cedar Rock/Big Rock. I guess I'll just cross my fingers and hope for the best. The hotel is non refundable.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Adodero View Post

That said, it's been frozen solid here the last week or more. We haven't had a lot of rain but the ground will soften some from the thaw, which will be compounded by the rain this week. It will be wet, but I don't think it'll be that bad. It's hard to say for sure, though, because we haven't had a freeze like this in a while (not since I've been coming up here/living here).
    The big question regarding freeze/thaw conditions (i have spent the vast majority of my riding years in areas where winter trail conditions are dominated by freeze/thaw conditions) is how deeply is the soil frozen, and how fast it thaws.

If only the surface thaws before the rain hits, the frozen subsurface will seriously impede the trail's ability to handle the moisture from the rain. Conditions will become slop pretty fast. If the soil is not frozen too deep and it all thaws before appreciable rain, it should not be too bad.

I am not very good at predicting how this soil/terrain handles these sorts of conditions yet, but I was very good at it in Indiana.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

WNC Native
    Guion Farm side was thawing out a decent bit last night. With 2-3 inches of rain predicted for Thurs & Fri, it may be pretty soft and sloppy.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

Big Mac
    With the warming temps and rainfall, itís a pretty safe bet that all the trails in the area will be absolute slop. Plan accordingly.

DFL
    What are my options if the trails are sloppy? Fire roads? I'm coming regardless because my hotel is non refundable.

mtbr member
    What are my options if the trails are sloppy? Fire roads? I'm coming regardless because my hotel is non refundable.
    The higher elevation/rockier parts of Pisgah usually hold up to the rain/freeze-thaw well.

Laurel/Pilot, the rocky side of Daniels Ridge, Farlow, etc.

There is always great hiking too here and that is a great way to enjoy the forest.

also the lows are going to be in the 20's and upper teens so hit the trails as early as you possibly can while alot of it is still frozen. Once the sun gets out around 9/10am it will be sloppy.
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I'm in the same boat as askibum02, I got accommodations that can't be cancelled. I was hoping the Burnt Mtn / Cedar Rock trails might still be ok for Sunday, but now weather.com is giving flood warnings for the area. At this point I'm considering leaving my bike at home. Is there any chance on riding on Sunday without trashing the trails? Thanks!

DFL
    Iím bringing the bikes in hopes the the trails are dry enough to ride Sunday or even Monday. If not Iíll just do a gravel grinder ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    If you donít mind the cold it should be good in the morning while it is still frozen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Please consider following the ride early while frozen advice. Otherwise, trail conditions will literally be as bad they get here short of an ice storm. Freeze/Thaw plus lots of rain creates peanut butter soup. Mornings, however, should be very cold hero dirt.

DFL
    The plan as of now is to ride Sunday morning. Hopefully an extra day to dry will help.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    good. looking forward to an AM ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Good luck with the weather. But just in case, the bench racing at the bikes shops in Pisgah isn't bad either.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    You guys could try Paris Mountain in Travelers Rest, SC. It's about a 45 minute drive from Brevard and is usually a lot dryer than Pisgah or DuPont. Pretty fun trail system

Or you could check out the trails near Clemson SC.

Good luck