Dupont and pisgah weather?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Dupont and pisgah weather?

Hey guys,gals. Been planning a trip to brevard for a while now only to see the hurricane and tropical depression hitting the gulf and swinging up into Tennessee and carolinas. Looks like winds around 35mph as of now there on Monday. Going to head up Sunday early and get set up and wait for weather to break. Question is how does that area trail system handle some wind and rain like that? Sure don't want to cancel trip!

mtbr member
    Neither of these trail systems technically close during bad weather. Dupont drains relatively well. Pisgah depends on what trails. High winds usually bring down trees, but since Irma brought winds higher than currently forecast for this storm, there's probably not much left to fall.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    It depends on how much rain we get. Dupont handles water really well. In general the ridgeline trails in the forest handle rain well. There is always a chance the forestry service will close trails due to weather so make sure to check before you make the trip. I don't know how much fun Dupont will be after high winds and copious rain. If I were you I would reschedule.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Ok great. Going to watch the weather. If any of you local riders from the area want to post a weather report for next week I would appreciate it. Sure others will watch as well. Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Local weather in AVL is calling for 2-4" rain starting Saturday night through Monday.

mtbr member
    Dang. We need the rain but not all at once lol.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    So with that amount of rain, how do ya think the dupont trails will do? Dry out fast?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 1lawnman View Post
    So with that amount of rain, how do ya think the dupont trails will do? Dry out fast?
    Not really a good idea to ride any trail after that much rain. Consider rescheduling.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Is there a website/FB page/twitter acct etc that gives trail status updates on dupont and pisgah trails? I've searched and haven't really found anything. We had originally planned to come down this upcoming weekend, but know you guys got a lot of rain recently.

mtbr member
    It would be extremely difficult for trails to be in better condition right now. Seriously-come enjoy the awesomeness!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by aski View Post
    Is there a website/FB page/twitter acct etc that gives trail status updates on dupont and pisgah trails? I've searched and haven't really found anything. We had originally planned to come down this upcoming weekend, but know you guys got a lot of rain recently.
    Trails here don't close and generally handle water really well.

They're in great shape now, though!! The morning dew is getting rid of the dry crap we had for a few weeks. Just be sure you are comfortable/equipped for riding wet roots and rocks, because the lingering moisture makes things slippery.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    It would be extremely difficult for trails to be in better condition right now. Seriously-come enjoy the awesomeness!
    Really?!?! That's awesome. I saw some rainfall data (NOAA Precip Map) indicating Dupont received approx 6" of rain on Sunday. Yesterday, forecasts called for additional rain this weekend, but that appears to have changed now. Maybe I won't write off this weekend after all.

mtbr member
    Nope. Only method is go and see, or ask here.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Really?!?! That's awesome. I saw some rainfall data (NOAA Precip Map) indicating Dupont received approx 6" of rain on Sunday. Yesterday, forecasts called for additional rain this weekend, but that appears to have changed now. Maybe I won't write off this weekend after all.
    Yeah, I got a lot of rain at my house Sunday>Monday...but it was so dry that by Tuesday, trails next door ready to ride. Even if it does rain some Friday, Saturday and Sunday will be fine IMO.
    Rode Dupont on Saturday and some high speed corners were sketchy d/t sand build up- the rain probably helped with that.