Dupont/Pisgah trails. Snow covered?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Dupont/Pisgah trails. Snow covered?

Sorry for another "coming down on so and so, are the trails good" question, but are the trails snow covered at all?

Heading down march 14th for the week, Blessed with amazing weather last year so im in hopes of the same.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Hiked around the Hatchery today-4-8" of snow on the trails. Warmer weather expected this week, but I expect it will be a mess for a while.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    That sounds terrible. Hope the warmer weather clears things up in time.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I'm in the same boat. Trip planned for 13-15. Don't want to cancel but don't want to ride messy trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I will be devastated if I lose some riding days. I have looked forward to this since I left last year. Not to mention I am under 3 feet of snow and its been minus 30 for the past 2 weeks. Prayer time!

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    It will be a warm week. Snow should melt. Don't know if it'll dry fast enough.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    If you are not coming until March 14-th I think you will be alright, baring a major snow or rain storm a few day before that date. And even if it isn't single track, we have miles and miles of gravel and double track around here to keep one busy. Just keep your eyes on the weather, but I would give it a go. And you can always keep yourself busy if you are a beer drinker, hiker, kayaker, food lover or fly-fisher person in this area.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks, Im very one sided, I only bike lol. We are coming down no matter what, house is booked.

Weather is looking ok with a bit of rain but I dont really trust the super longrange forcast.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Jesus. I'm in Raleigh, but have a friend flying in from the west coast for the weekend in 4 days. Our plans are to try to find some rideable trail, and we'll probably die trying!
    We hiked through a bunch of snow in late October and found good trail here and there on Bennet, Avery and Lower Black. Guessing it will be worse than that but hoping it will still be salvageable.
    Any suggestions? After our snow slogging up the Clawhammer area I was surprised to hear the the Couch Potato crowd had fared well at Farlow. Does that zone dry up faster?
    Help Me Obi Wan!
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Warden
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Delirium

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'd been planning on driving down about 500+miles this weekend for about 4 days of riding. This winter is killing me and am itching to get on trails.

I'm hoping the next few days of higher temps and rain will wash out snow/ice pack and then a few days of sunny/warmer weather will dry things out a bit. On the other hand, there's the low overnight temp freeze cycle.

Any updates, good or bad, would be greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Bennett Gap, Upper Black, Farlow/Daniel Ridge, Pilot, Ridgeline, Greenslick, and Cedar Rock have been my go to rides when thawing or wet. They seem to either dry the fastest or just handle water the best. Most of Bent Creek, the Fawn Lake side of Dupont, and the clay-based trails in Pisgah might be questionable, based on my experience.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for the updates! I will keep bugging every couple days lol.

Looks like there will be enough warm days to get things into shape providing it doesnt get to cold at night.

mtbr member
    Rode some higher elevation,rocky stuff in Pisgah last night and it was darn near perfect dirt. There weren't any spots holding water and just a little mud at the lower elevations. I dunno how it will handle this round of rain/sleet/snow today but Im guessing things will be ok. Especially if we stay dry and above freezing next week. Hope that helps.
    On your left!

Reluctant Tree Hugger
    Hopefully it'll clear up. I'm planning a trip this weekend. This NC weather has been a real bummer the last few weeks. Just had to be the week of my vacation.
    Live like there's no tomorrow. But pay your bills just in case there is.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    This weekend looks great. Warm and sunny. Long range through next week looks good temperature-wise but showing chances of rain most days.

Of course, much beyond 48 hours of forecast is iffy at best.

mtbr member
    Took the CX bike out and rode a decent chunk of Pisgah gravel today. 1206 to Avery Creek up Claw, tossed in Buckhorn and S. Mills too.

Pretty damp but drying out nicely. Avery Creek road was the worst, really soft. Surprisingly Buckhorn and S. Mills were in awesome shape. No mud or water to speak of besides the usual spots on S. Mills.

Everything was still gated so prepare for that. By Sunday we should have prime dirt.

Go shred.
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    We'll probably hit Big M on Saturday (3/7). Fingers crossed it's not too smarmy down low.
    Wondering if Claw > Buckwheat > Bennet will be drier than Farlow > Daniel on Sunday. Guessing it'll have more to do with which zone got hit harder
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Warden
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Delirium

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    We'll probably hit Big M on Saturday (3/7). Fingers crossed it's not too smarmy down low.
    Wondering if Claw > Buckwheat > Bennet will be drier than Farlow > Daniel on Sunday. Guessing it'll have more to do with which zone got hit harder
    I rode both all of Bennett and Black today, and for anyone riding tomorrow, DO NOT ride Bennett Gap. The entire last two miles of Bennett are a complete gong show. That trail is gonna need a while to dry out. Everything else I rode was fine, but that is the worst I have seen lower Bennett.
    SEI Racing

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Dupont/Pisgah trails. Snow covered?

Bent Creek was in rough shape today. I stayed on gravel, but all the trails I could see as I passed were in awful shape. Even some of the gravel on Bent Creek Gap Rd up to the parkway was too soft to ride.

Spencer Gap was in fine shape. 5000 was soft in spots.

Anyone go to DuPont today? Anything down that way that would be dry?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    So I am assuming the trails or wet and muddy at this point? Snow is gone already?

Hope the rain I saw in the forecast isnt going to be to heavy. Ive learned there is no such thing as a forecast for Brevard, only a guess!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy R View Post
    I rode both all of Bennett and Black today, and for anyone riding tomorrow, DO NOT ride Bennett Gap. The entire last two miles of Bennett are a complete gong show. That trail is gonna need a while to dry out. Everything else I rode was fine, but that is the worst I have seen lower Bennett.

Thanks for posting, confirmed my suspicions, will turn down coontree.

mtbr member
    Squirrel, mullinax, S. Mills, etc. were great this morning. But this means nothing staring down 7 days of rain.

Bet the fishing will be good...

Glass half full.
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Saturday 3/7 - Clawhammer > Club Gap > Avery Creek => Brilliant & Dry.
    Sunday 3/8 - Farlow > Daniel Ridge River Side => Brilliant & Dry.

I don't know what happened. Signs of heavy snow and rain were not a factor at all. The road up to clawhammer was soft and slow. The very bottom of Avery was wet, as it so often is. This was the best weekend we've had at Pisgah in a while.
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Warden
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Delirium

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I really appreciate the updates! It puts me at ease. I feel like I should be paying you guys to scope trails out, Wouldnt that be a sweet deal? But im broke so you can get that out of your heads :P

Your saturday ride was on our list of routes so thats great news.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Rode Jim Branch...Issac Heath....Hilltop...Hickory Mountain...Ridgeline Saturday morning....started the ride at 8 AM to ride while it was froze....I could tell that when the sun warmed up things were gonna get nasty! If you can bear the temps that's your best option!

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by wnckeith View Post
    Rode Jim Branch...Issac Heath....Hilltop...Hickory Mountain...Ridgeline Saturday morning....started the ride at 8 AM to ride while it was froze....I could tell that when the sun warmed up things were gonna get nasty! If you can bear the temps that's your best option!
    Not anymore my friend. Warmer temps and rain has assured that its all fubarred now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Not anymore my friend. Warmer temps and rain has assured that its all fubarred now.

Trails at DuPont were still awesome Sunday afternoon in the heat. Burnt, every trail on to and off of cedar rock, longside, pinetree, cascade, sheep, pitchpine, three lakes, ...all perfect except a few wet areas on the climb to burnt and on lake imaging road. So glad got out Sat and Sun before this week's forecast.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    Trails at DuPont were still awesome Sunday afternoon in the heat. Burnt, every trail on to and off of cedar rock, longside, pinetree, cascade, sheep, pitchpine, three lakes, ...all perfect except a few wet areas on the climb to burnt and on lake imaging road. So glad got out Sat and Sun before this week's forecast.
    Yessir, I'd say that largely, you described most of, if not all of, wnc. You describe my experience as well. Unfortunately, as of today, sh!t's different.

mtbr member
    DuPont was great today!
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Bent Creek is up and running!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Trails have been awesome. Got here yesterday did a bunch at dupont and did clawhammer/black mnt to avery then475 up to bracken and down today. Everythings was amazing. Only few wet patches at the bottom of avery.

Im tired and sore. But an awesome ride!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    So I'm thinking about doing a last minute trip to Asheville (coming from chicago) next week. It seems like all the major trails are in good shape now? I wouldn't want to drive 10 hours just to find closed trails.

Trails are fine now.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thank you AshevilleMtbiker.