Dupont/Pisgah area group rides or ride suggestions.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Dupont/Pisgah area group rides or ride suggestions.

I'm coming into town this weekend, staying in Hendersonville, and was curious if there are any weekly group rides for these areas? I've ridden Dupont and Bent Creek in the past but always end u checking a map constantly.

If there are scheduled group rides, I'd love to try to join in.

Also, does anyone a pisgah ride to recommend for an advanced XC rider to solo? Ideally something with minimal possibility of getting too turned around.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Sycamore Cycles has a Monday PM group ride, it's beginner oriented and steadily paced, in Dupont. There is a women's group ride in Dupont, if you qualify, on Thurs PM and Sycamore also has a co-ed Pisgah group ride on Thurs PM.

Reeb Ranch, Squatch, and Oskar Blues all have their own group rides. Best bet is to check them on Facebook and look at the events pages.

For solo rides, depending on how long you want to go, both Sycamores and Lower Black are pretty easily accessible and not too far back for riding solo. Cove Creek is pretty mellow, so is the bridge side of Daniel's Ridge (descending CW). The stuff in Mills River is good (Trace and/or Spencer), so is doing something like S Mills -> Mullinax -> Squirrel out and back, but you likely won't encounter other people riding there. Bracken is a decent out and back, too.

I usually avoid Black/Bennett/Avery or anything more difficult than that solo.

mtbr member
    I normally hit DuPont (Lake Imaging) or Bent Creek when on my own during the week. I'll second Sycamore, Thrift Cove, and lower Black Mtn as they aren't too far out.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    My after work ride ( I live in Brevard close to bike path/Oskar Blues) is what is recommended above:

Ride up thrift cove>down lower black mountain>up grassy>down lower sycamore cove>back up grassy>down upper sycamore cove.

Basically 3 climbs and 3 downhills totaling about 12 or so miles and very close to civilization. Do it at whatever pace you like and get a solid ride with a good taste of what Pisgah has to offer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pryde1 View Post
    My after work ride ( I live in Brevard close to bike path/Oskar Blues) is what is recommended above:

Ride up thrift cove>down lower black mountain>up grassy>down lower sycamore cove>back up grassy>down upper sycamore cove.

Basically 3 climbs and 3 downhills totaling about 12 or so miles and very close to civilization. Do it at whatever pace you like and get a solid ride with a good taste of what Pisgah has to offer.
    This is a great ride. Doing grassy road twice to ride down sycamore twice is well worth it!
    It is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks guys. I found a group ride from Squatch in Dupont for Saturday morning. I've ridden there in the past but it will be great not having to pull out the map every 5 minutes. I'll probably check out that pisgah loop on Sunday. Hows parking near Thrift Cove on a Sunday morning?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Chello View Post
    Thanks guys. I found a group ride from Squatch in Dupont for Saturday morning. I've ridden there in the past but it will be great not having to pull out the map every 5 minutes. I'll probably check out that pisgah loop on Sunday. Hows parking near Thrift Cove on a Sunday morning?
    There are three parking lots (one across the street), I've never seen them completely full. Worst case, park at one of the roadside lots and ride in or park at The Hub, then ride in.

One tip is that as you get towards the bottom of Lower Sycamore, on the river side of the road, you can cut through a small parking area to avoid being on the road. There is a gravel road back there that will take you to the Davidson River lot right across from grassy lot. You can use that to avoid a stretch of road with a bunch of tourists driving and staring at everything but the road.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks again for the trail recs. The group ride in Dupont was fun and the loop in Pisgah was great! After riding just a tad in Pisgah I can understand why most people have full suspension.

Looking forward to the next trip.