DuPont management moves to the ag dept- Mtbr.com
    pronounced may-duh

DuPont management moves to the ag dept

I saw this in today's paper. Basically, DuPont will now be managed by the NC Dept of Agriculture. Critics say this will lead to increased logging in DuPont for timber sales. Supporters say it's not a big deal LINK TO STORY

drunken pirate
    Interesting. Thanks for the link.

I'm torn on logging but don't want to see Dupont become a state park for petty personal reasons.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Folks,

Mountain bikers are represented in the grass roots group trying to effect the process and asking for a special designation for DuPont as it is way different from any other property managed by Division of Forest Resources. Our ask will be a special "State Recreational Forest" or "State Recreation Area" moniker for DuPont. Chuck Ramsey, JoJo (my wife), and recently Karen Into (current president of Pisgah SORBA) have been to meetings with and in communication with other supporters of the special designation idea.

We are currently developing a strategy and will keep everyone posted when we have such. Stay tuned as they will be an action phase of our plan. In the meantime, don't freak out.

Woody

pronounced may-duh
    Thanks Woody

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    For more info, go here:

http://www.dupontrecreation.com/

drunken pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    Thanks Woody
    Yeah, thanks Woody, Chuck and JoJo! The story of Friends of the Falls is a great one and really demonstrates what people can do when they put their minds to it. I have no doubt that with you still involved Dupont isn't going to change too much. Let us know if there is anything we can help with. I'll be riding there tonight for the first time in months and can't wait
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member

Another Link...

Here's a link to an Opinion piece in today's Hendersonville Times-News:

http://www.blueridgenow.com/article/...tter?p=1&tc=pg

Most of us who have spent years playing and volunteering at DSF feel that the Forest's management objectives (shared trails, clean water, conservation efforts) are as good as it gets, and that the DSF land managers are the best we've worked with. We would like to carefully define the characteristics that make DSF great, then lock those characteristics in via legislation, so that the Forest doesn't change with a change in chain of management.

TZ

PS: we opened the new Hilltop Trail at DSF yesterday--this trail connects the old Hilltop Loop (with one leg of the old loop closed and reclaimed) with Grassy Creek Falls Trail. The effort began as a Professional Trail Builders Association conference project. FoDF, hikers, MTBers, and equestrians have provided finish work. Hilltop trail bypasses a boring portion of Imaging Road, and provides a fantastic soundscape as the user travels near two waterfalls. Winter views will be great, too.
    Geriatric mountain biker and trail maintainer... ...with digital braking!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Update

http://www.blueridgenow.com/article/...1151?p=1&tc=pg

We will call on folks in the mountain bike community to call in to elected officials soon.
    Will keep you posted.

Woody

mtbr member

It's a Good Amendment...

...but it's ONLY an amendment right now--the budget (as modified by Apodaca's bill and others) will protect DSF as a 'Recreational State Forest' and lock in the uses now shared by hikers, hunters, anglers, equestrians, MTBers and others. First, however, the budget proposals of the NC house & senate must be unified and approved, then the budget must be signed by the governor. No signature by Perdue means no 'Dupont State Recreational Forest'... So the recreational community, especially those of us who love to play at DSF need to carefully watch the budget approval process.
    TZ
    Geriatric mountain biker and trail maintainer... ...with digital braking!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Please send emails/letters of support

Mountain bikers need to contact elected officials to voice support for the amendment introduced to dedicate DuPont as the state's first State Recreational Forest. Folks from Trans and Henderson counties are especially important to contact elected officials. This website makes it very easy for you to contact your representatives:

http://dupontrecreation.com/

We need to flood the governors email with signs of support for special designation and also noting we do not favor mixed management which would include state parks.

Woody

thecentralscrutinizer
    Done, All Reps notified.
    2019 Giant Fastroad Advanced
    2019 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 29
    2020 Giant XTC Advanced SL...Coming Soon

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

WNC Native
    Email's sent. Thanks for posting up the links.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

Members who have read this thread: 0