Dupont forest route suggestion- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Dupont forest route suggestion

I never realized I lived within about 2.5 hours of Dupont. I'm in NE Gwinnett County (NE of Atlanta) and am excited to hit Dupont for a day.

Having never been there, I did some map recon and quickly discovered that it's a big place!

I found this pretty cool map online interactive-map and was wondering if someone could recommend a route using the trail numbers on the map.

I'd want to start at one of the parking areas on the southeastern side of the park, probably Corn Mill Shoals or Fawn Lake.

With 84 named trails, that are fairly well marked (so I've heard), is it possible to build a route using those trail numbers?

I want to do about 20 miles with some good climbs and fun descents.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Well here is a loop that is fun and around 8 miles with more than ample opportunity to add mileage to it.

Park at Lake Imaging Parking Lot (it's the red P on your map). I am not going to look up numbers for this ride as you have a map and can look for yourself.

Take Lake Imaging Road out of lot. Go past lake and go left on Jim Branch. You will come to an intersection. Go right on Isaac Heath and follow to another intersection where you will take Locust and follow that until another intersection. Go right and take Hilltop. Follow Hilltop until you come to a pretty open area. From here proceed to the gravel road.

Go right on gravel road and follow until you take a left on Buck Forest Rd (also gravel). Follow to White Pine road on your left. Follow until it stops and ou will go left on Hickory Mountain Rd. Follow this to Ridgeline and hold on. At the end of Ridgeline go right t go to car or left to start over.

Look over that. You can find more than enough miles from that little loop to keep you happy.

Big Mac

Dupont forest route suggestion

Rather than a route, I'll give you some highlights of DuPont and you build your own route. Cedar rock, burnt mountain, reasonover, ridgeline. You can hit them all within a 20 mile loop. Enjoy.

rsa
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    If you have a compatible smartphone, consider downloading the free Avenza app and then then purchasing the Dupont State Recreational Forest map. It's not that expensive, and invaluable in Dupont, given the number of different trails. It provides GPS mapping even in the absence of a cell signal (I turn off cell coverage to extend battery life). You can pull out the map at intersections, see exactly where you are, and determine which direction to take. They have less expensive routes that you can purchase, covering parts of the forest. I've ridden them all, and would suggest either the cedar rock/burnt mtn loop, or the reasonover/airstrip/shelter/laurel/mine loop. You can link these two together by crossing the river at corn mill shoals, if you are looking for a longer ride. I think this is far easier that trying to follow all of the turns on a paper map. You should enjoy Dupont, have fun!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    You can also link up a mine mountain, laurel, airstrip loop to a ridgeline run. Here is a strava segment from said loop Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Sunday in the other Forest near Hendersonville | Times and Records | Strava (not me). Quite a few of those miles are gravel road.

If the river/creek isn't too high then you can take corn mill shoals across to burnt and cedar/big rock (those are my favorites). If the river is high just hop in the car and go to the corn mill shoals lot and hit those trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Pick up a copy of the Bike Transylvania magazine that was recently published. The magazine highlights mountain, road and gravel grinder routes and features some fun stuff to do off the bike. Where to eat, where to stay, etc...

It's available at both bike shops.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Prior to seeing a map, I heard Dupont was extremely difficult to navigate for a first-timer and that you should bring someone who knows it.

But then I saw the map and read that almost every trail intersection is marked and thought that it looked quite easy. All I needed was an idea of which of the 80 or so named trails were the most fun and I could link a ride together. Sounds like that's the case.

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yeah it is fairly easy the first time if you have a map and can read it correctly. Just put it in your pocket and not your pack. That way it is much easy to get out at the numerous intersections.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    anyone know conditions at the moment? Thinking of hitting Dupont tomorrow morning.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I was just up in hendersonville and it rained almost everyday from Fri til Tue. The trails around the corn mills shoals parking lot are more sandy based and/or rocky so they hold up really well. I would recommend riding there. Ridgeline and Airstrip fair a lot worse so I would stay away from those.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rsa View Post
    If you have a compatible smartphone, consider downloading the free Avenza app and then then purchasing the Dupont State Recreational Forest map. It's not that expensive, and invaluable in Dupont, given the number of different trails. It provides GPS mapping even in the absence of a cell signal (I turn off cell coverage to extend battery life). You can pull out the map at intersections, see exactly where you are, and determine which direction to take. They have less expensive routes that you can purchase, covering parts of the forest. I've ridden them all, and would suggest either the cedar rock/burnt mtn loop, or the reasonover/airstrip/shelter/laurel/mine loop. You can link these two together by crossing the river at corn mill shoals, if you are looking for a longer ride. I think this is far easier that trying to follow all of the turns on a paper map. You should enjoy Dupont, have fun!
    That sounds like a great ride, I've done both on different occasions but never in one day.
    Do you prefer to park at Fawn Lake or the Corn Mill Entrance?
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

Rogue Exterminator
    Trail conditions at most of DuPont bounce back quickly even after heavy rains. Today was dry and so this weekend should be ideal.

Kevin, I will be riding with friends Sunday morning if you want a free trail guide let me know.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Trail conditions at most of DuPont bounce back quickly even after heavy rains. Today was dry and so this weekend should be ideal.

Kevin, I will be riding with friends Sunday morning if you want a free trail guide let me know.
    That may work! What time do you start and at which lot? Thanks for the offer!

Rogue Exterminator
    PM sent

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I've done it a couple times Lou.... Bring extra socks for River crossing. Lol

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    I heard Dupont was extremely difficult to navigate for a first-timer and that you should bring someone who knows it.
    DuPont is not that bad. Actually pretty easy to get around if you have a map. Pisgah on the other hand is a whole new ballgame. People been lost in there for days and days.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by scmtbiker View Post
    DuPont is not that bad. Actually pretty easy to get around if you have a map. Pisgah on the other hand is a whole new ballgame. People been lost in there for days and days.
    Yeah, I always here these rumors of the difficulty of DuPont to navigate but in all honesty I think it is the simplest. Just don't use that crappy free map I see people always trying to use. Get the good Trail Guide from Pisgah Map Company. If you get lost with that thing than you probably couldn't find your way out of your own bathroom by yourself.

mtbr member
    I recomend you buy a good map: WNC Trail Guide: Dupont State

Recreational Forest by Pisgah Map Company

Each trail is labelled with its name directly on the map. You won't

need to refer the trail number on the map to a table of trail

numbers with trail names.

The map includes seven inset maps, each clearly highlighting great

popular mountain bike routes within the larger trail network. For

each ride these include basic stats, GPS coordinates, a turn-by-

turn/cue sheet as well as an elevation profile.

Where to Buy our Maps | Pisgah Map Company

maps/

Where can you get a map? | Pisgah Map Company
    "Those who are afraid to go too far will never know how far they can go"

Carbon8er
    I do a perimeter ride that is fun

Corn mill shoals parking parking
    Corn mill shoals - cross the river with socks so you don't bust your butt
    Laurel ridge
    Mine mtn
    Reasonover creek
    Turkey Knob
    Briery Fork
    Grassy Creek
    Wintergreen
    Tarkiln Branch

Sky Valley Parking lot - At this point you can do the across the road trails like Rocky ridge or continue on straight to

Hickory Mtn trail
    Ridgeline
    Lake Imaging
    buck Forest rd to BF parking lot
    Sheep Mtn
    (There's a new trail not on the maps that comes out at Staton road now off of sheep mtn)
    Pine tree tr
    Long side back to car

There's other ways to make it longer but that's usually enough for most folks
    There are trails behind Corn Mill shoals parking lot you can throw in

This interactive map may be of help
    Mountain Biking GPS Map of DuPont State Recreational Forest