DuPont - Crossing Bridal Veil Falls- Mtbr.com
    Shortcutting Hikabiker

DuPont - Crossing Bridal Veil Falls

What's the deal with the private land at DuPont? Is it still a no-no to cross the corner of the property to cross under bridal veil falls?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Correct. The right side of BV falls (looking up river) is still owned by DuPont Corporation. It will eventually become state forest land, but until then it is off limits. Please respect private land and do not cross under the falls..

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    That's what I figured. Too bad because it used to make a cool way to cross the river. Is there any news on when the state will take over the property? I thought it was supposed to be a while ago but you know how that goes...

mtbr member
    Its technically an EPA Superfund site. Until all legal issues are resolved, it will remain off limits.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    Its technically an EPA Superfund site. Until all legal issues are resolved, it will remain off limits.
    While the DuPont Corporation is doing soils remediation work on the 450-acre parcel, it IS NOT an EPA Superfund site!

Originally owned by E I DuPont de Nemours & Co, the X-ray film plant that was once in the center of what's now DuPont State Recreational Forest was sold in '96 to Sterling Diagnostic Imaging, then to the Agfa Corporation in '99. In November of 2002 Agfa ceased production at the plant. Agfa was responsible for building demolition, then DuPont, as the original corporate owner, resumed ownership of the land and began soils remediation work. Part of the delay in adding the property to DSRF is that NC's DENR has not defined the limits to which soils must be remediated; those limits are dependent on potential future uses of the land. Recent negotiations between the state and the DuPont Corp may have resulted in an agreement in clean-up levels. Hopefully there will soon be a property transfer, and some of the trails that now end at or near the boundary of this parcel will see improved connectivity across the 'donut hole'.

TZ
    Geriatric mountain biker and trail maintainer... ...with digital braking!

mtbr member
    That would be cool. I used to live riding up the slickrock by the waterfall.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    That would be cool. I used to live riding up the slickrock by the waterfall.
    Yeah--remember the old Tobacco Free for Life series of rides there? Several times the 'advanced' route took riders up the rock and behind the falls. I doubt we'll ever have that option again (too much falls-area traffic), but we should have a way to connect from the powerline turn on Cedar Rock Trail and cross what's now private property. There's even a bridge crossing Little River on the 450-acre parcel, which would be nice Corn Mill Shoals option for high water or cold weather.

TZ
    Geriatric mountain biker and trail maintainer... ...with digital braking!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailZen View Post
    There's even a bridge crossing Little River on the 450-acre parcel, which would be nice Corn Mill Shoals option for high water or cold weather.
    Or anytime you don't feel like wading across the top of a slip 'n slide. That's good news...I hope this transfer happens sooner rather than later.