DuPont Conditions?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010

DuPont Conditions?

We are thinking about riding at DuPont on Sunday (June 17). Assuming no more rain between now and then, will the trails be dry enough to ride or too wet?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I would expect the trails to be fine overall - everything seems to drain well there (except the low area on Reasonover Creek Trail and a couple other minor areas). When are you riding and where are you starting? I'm looking for a group to hook up with.
    "Get busy living, or get busy dying"

mtbr member

Reasonover Creek...

...just had a maintenance contract completed on its entire length, and no longer has 'low area' drainage problems. Likewise Corn Mill Shoals (on the Laurel Ridge side of the river), Mine Mtn, Laurel Ridge, and Longside. Before visiting DSRF, you can check daily weather data here: Guion Farm North Carolina, and if you see major rain totals for the day or two before your visit, consider another venue...
    TZ
    Geriatric mountain biker and trail maintainer... ...with digital braking!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride-beer-rinse-repeat View Post
    I would expect the trails to be fine overall - everything seems to drain well there (except the low area on Reasonover Creek Trail and a couple other minor areas). When are you riding and where are you starting? I'm looking for a group to hook up with.
    Thanks for the info. If we ride we will start on Sunday morning. I have ridden DuPont a few times and did "Save The Trails Challenge" the year of the monsoon when we had to hang onto a rope stretched across Little River at its flood stage while crossing at Corn Mill Shoals.

The map and excellent signage at DuPoint help but I still have a lot to learn about getting around there and the best places to ride. Have not decided where to ride on Sunday but it will likely be one of these options. One is starting at the Corn Meal Shoals parking area and doing the Bridal Veil Falls/Cedar Rock loops. The other is about a 15-mile loop starting at the High Falls parking area and including the Stone Mountain climb.

If we decide to go I'll post starting place and time later in the week. You are most welcome to join us but I must warn you we are slow-pokes who often get passed on climbs by ailing turtles and crippled snails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpbumper View Post
    Thanks for the info. If we ride we will start on Sunday morning. I have ridden DuPont a few times and did "Save The Trails Challenge" the year of the monsoon when we had to hang onto a rope stretched across Little River at its flood stage while crossing at Corn Mill Shoals.

The map and excellent signage at DuPoint help but I still have a lot to learn about getting around there and the best places to ride. Have not decided where to ride on Sunday but it will likely be one of these options. One is starting at the Corn Meal Shoals parking area and doing the Bridal Veil Falls/Cedar Rock loops. The other is about a 15-mile loop starting at the High Falls parking area and including the Stone Mountain climb.

If we decide to go I'll post starting place and time later in the week. You are most welcome to join us but I must warn you we are slow-pokes who often get passed on climbs by ailing turtles and crippled snails.
    No problem - The goal is to get out and have fun anyway.

Second option sounds fun - we can tie together Rocky Ridge and Ridgeline - both fun.

Post when and where and I'll see if I can hook up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Here is a route I did a couple of years ago. It has Rocky Ridge that you mention.

DUPONT STATE FOREST
    Stone Mountain Loop from High Falls Access Parking Area
    (Number beside each trail is from the reference code on the DuPont map)

Depart, through gate onto High Falls Access Road
    Right, Conservation Road (18) (just past covered bridge)
    Left, Pitch Pine Trail (60)
    Right, Joanna Road (43)
    Left, Lake Dense Rd (44) to Lake Dense & Lake Alford
    Return, Lake Dense Rd to Joanna Rd (43)
    Right, Joanna Road (43)
    Left, Grassy Creek Trail (28)
    Right, Sandy Trail (70)
    Right, Wintergreen Falls Trail (91) to Wintergreen Falls
    Return, Wintergreen Falls Trail (91) to Tarkiln Branch Rd (80)
    Right, Tarkiln Branch Road to Guion Farm trailhead
    Right, Buck Forest Rd (7) (just past house and picnic tables)
    Right, Sky Valley Road (gravel surface)(all the way to top, watch for small parking area on left)
    Left, Rocky Ridge Trail (69) ( through gate at small parking area)
    Right, Stone Mountain Trail (77) to top
    Return, Stone Mountain Trail
    Right, Rocky Ridge Trail (69)
    Left, Old CCC Rd
    Bear Left, Sky Valley Rd
    Right, Buck Forest Road back to starting point at trailhead.
    Total 15.2 miles
    Last edited by stumpbumper; 06-14-2012 at 08:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Nice ride - add in Ridgeline toward the end (from Sky Valley pick up Guion Trail, right on Hickory Mountain Road, Left on Ridgeline) for a fun loop. Can finish with a jaunt around Holly Road.

Sounds like a fun way to spend a Sunday Morning - weather should be great.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Our ride at DuPont on Sunday morning is a go. Our plan is to be at the High Falls parking area in time for a 9:00 AM blast-off.

I have sent you a PM.

Looking forward to the ride.

mtbr member
    PM sent - see you Sunday.

Members who have read this thread: 0