DuPont Conditions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

DuPont Conditions

I rode at DuPont today. Just curious - how come the trails over near Reasonover (Reasonover - Mine Mt. etc.) are such a muddy mess, when the trails over near Guion Farm (Jim Branch, Ridgeline) are in great shape? Is it the trail design or did it just rain more on one side of the forest?
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

WNC Native
    Simple, that side just holds the water longer. It has rained pretty hard in Dupont ,almost every evening for the last couple of weeks. Guion Farm side just dries out quicker. Plus Ridgeline & Jim Branch are southern exposure, so they get more sun.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Simply put, it is all about the soil composition. The Guion side of the forest tends to be more of a sandy loam soil, while the higher elevations have more clay. Sandy loam drains well, while clay does not allow water to peculate. Muddy conditions are the worst I have ever seen in DSF for this time of year, the daily rains are the culprit.

Clay trail tread is susceptible to minor soil loss during heavy rain events, and then this soil settles in the dips or wherever the water slows down. Even well designed and built trails need some work, many of these trails need de-berming and increased outslope in the areas of dips. Horse traffic on these trails can also make problems worse, as they tend to loosen soil (displacement forces) when they travel and when the mud build up begins the pock macking makes it very hard for the water to escape the teacups.

Airstrip and Laurel Ridge have a number of muddy areas, I rode these yesterday and they are worse than I have seen for this time of year (winter mud is to be expected with freeze/thaw cycles).
    Last edited by Woodman; 06-21-2009 at 08:18 AM.

mtbr member

I'll Play Editor Again...

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman
    ...Clay trail tread is acceptable to minor soil loss during heavy rain events...
    Woodman--Acting as your personal editor here, I believe the word should be susceptible.

TZ
    Geriatric mountain biker and trail maintainer... ...with digital braking!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailZen
    Woodman--Acting as your personal editor here, I believe the word should be susceptible.

TZ
    You are correct, and I have made that correction in my post. Trying to do too many things in a short bit of time before I leave town (again).

Members who have read this thread: 0