Dupont biking question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Dupont biking question

The wife wants to see the waterfalls so we will be going this weekend and parking at the Hooker Falls area.

Will I be able to bike on some not to difficult trails from that parking area?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rickcin View Post
    The wife wants to see the waterfalls so we will be going this weekend and parking at the Hooker Falls area.

Will I be able to bike on some not to difficult trails from that parking area?
    Yes, however there are some trails near High Falls parking area that are foot traffic only, and if you park at Hooker, you'll need to walk your bike across the pedestrian bridge to get across the street. Otherwise, you can take Holly Rd trail from Hooker and cross the road when it ends onto Wilkie (I think). Most of the trails on this side are steeper, but you can hit Rock Quarry Rd, Micajah, Twixt, etc.

mtbr member
    Ok, that helps and I appreciate your quick response. Would you know how the cell coverage is there since I will be biking and the wife on foot? Our cell provider is Verizon.

mtbr member
    Ok, that helps and I appreciate your quick response. Would you know how the cell coverage is there since I will be biking and the wife on foot? Our cell provider is Verizon.
    Typically, no cell service. Verizon, maybe in some areas, but spotty at best.

mtbr member
    Whoa, I was way off. Looking at the map, Holly Rd trail will dump you out on the road across from Ridgeline. The other trails I noted are way South, so not where you will be. This is better, because the trails are indeed easier. You'll still be near High Falls, though. Jim Branch, Hooker Creek, Hilltop, are all in that area as is a bunch of gravel. This will allow you to take gravel up, then ride down those (or other) trails, which is easier.

mtbr member
    Thank you!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    Whoa, I was way off. Looking at the map, Holly Rd trail will dump you out on the road across from Ridgeline. The other trails I noted are way South, so not where you will be. This is better, because the trails are indeed easier. You'll still be near High Falls, though. Jim Branch, Hooker Creek, Hilltop, are all in that area as is a bunch of gravel. This will allow you to take gravel up, then ride down those (or other) trails, which is easier.
    Thanks for confirming and your advice is good with the fire road for climbing and taking trails to descend. Thank you!

since 4/10/2009
    If the weather is nice, better get there EARLY. Parking will be a biatch. Get there too late and you'll be parking along the street, or maybe elsewhere.

When I go to Dupont this time of year, I try not to have any specific plans. I just drive in and park where it's clear. I'll develop my plan once I find a spot to park.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    If the weather is nice, better get there EARLY. Parking will be a biatch. Get there too late and you'll be parking along the street, or maybe elsewhere.

When I go to Dupont this time of year, I try not to have any specific plans. I just drive in and park where it's clear. I'll develop my plan once I find a spot to park.
    Going to be in Ashville and the only time well be able to hit Dupont will be either Friday, Saturday or Sunday, weather permitting. Would any of those days be better as long as the weather is good on all three?

mtbr member
    Going to be in Ashville and the only time well be able to hit Dupont will be either Friday, Saturday or Sunday, weather permitting. Would any of those days be better as long as the weather is good on all three?
    There will be less of a crowd on Friday. Like Harold said, get there early on Saturday or Sunday. It's like a theme park in the summer. The weather looks best on Sunday, but just watch the radar and see where the storms go because they could miss Dupont all together.

mtbr member
    Im sure it gets busy on the weekends. We live about 20 minutes from Carvins Cove here in Virginia and during the week its not busy at all but the weekends bring them all out but you can ride for hours without crossing paths with other bikers. Thanks again!