Dupont or Bent Creek when it's wet- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Dupont or Bent Creek when it's wet

Are either the Dupont Trails or the Bent Creek trails OK to ride when it's wet or are they closed/discouraged? I'll be in the area after New Year's and was hoping to get some riding but the weather looks miserable. I'll ride in the rain if the trails can handle it.

mtbr member
    Bent Creek should be good to go this week. With all the work PAS has done out there this year trails are, for the most part, in pretty good shape. BC(my backyard) also did not get the rain predicted yesterday and today looks to be the same. Enjoy!

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    Are either the Dupont Trails or the Bent Creek trails OK to ride when it's wet or are they closed/discouraged? I'll be in the area after New Year's and was hoping to get some riding but the weather looks miserable. I'll ride in the rain if the trails can handle it.
    When wet, no! I rode Bent Creek last Wednesday after it had rained at night and got all muddy. My bike, my face, and my clothes were dirty. Learned my lesson. Can you ride? Yes, if you have good tires, but you won't be clean as a penny.

Rain or not, it stays open.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I find the corn mills shoals area at Dupont holds up well. The lower part of cedar gets rough and Little river gets really water logged sometimes. The flowy part of Burnt can get a little muddy with too. Pine Tree has a good amount of sand in the soil so it can take a beating. Other than that you are riding on rock armor or straight rock for most of the rest of the trail(s) so not a big deal.

Big Mac

Dupont or Bent Creek when it's wet

Quote Originally Posted by matty22c View Post
    I find the corn mills shoals area at Dupont holds up well. The lower part of cedar gets rough and Little river gets really water logged sometimes. The flowy part of Burnt can get a little muddy with too. Pine Tree has a good amount of sand in the soil so it can take a beating. Other than that you are riding on rock armor or straight rock for most of the rest of the trail(s) so not a big deal.
    Reasonover should by all means be avoided during wet weather.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Isn't reasonover usually accessed from Fawn Lake? I guess I should have said CMS parking area. I have only ridden reasonover one time and it was right out of FL parking area. Pretty much any of the clay based trails (machine built?) are pretty bad after rain. That would include Ridgeline, Airstrip, Mine Mtn, Laurel Mtn and Reasonover (probably a bunch more too). Freeze thaw is a ***** on those trails too.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by AshevilleMtBiker View Post
    When wet, no! I rode Bent Creek last Wednesday after it had rained at night and got all muddy. My bike, my face, and my clothes were dirty. Learned my lesson. Can you ride? Yes, if you have good tires, but you won't be clean as a penny.

Rain or not, it stays open.
    His question is not about whether or not he will be muddy or traction but instead about not tearing up the trials since PAS and other volunteers put countless hours in to maintaining them and riding wet does more damage than riding dry.

Kevin, both trail systems dry out fast.
    My personal experience that parts of DuPont are good very shortly after rain, then all of Bent Creek, then the other half of DuPont.

The Lake Imaging side of DuPont (Ridgeline, Jim Branch, Isaac Heath, Locust, Hilltop, Hickory Mtn, and other trails in that area dry out fast. Then Cornmill Shoals side (Burnt Mtn, Cedar Rock, Big Rock, etc) and lastly Fawn Lake area (Reasonover) should just be avoided.

Bent Creek takes a little more time than the Lake Imaging side of DuPont and overall should wait a day after a heavy rain but other will disagree and ride it (we get a lot of rain so we ride lol).

Another option is Pisgah Proper.
    It may not dry out as fast in some areas but it gets a lot less traffic so in some cases you may be doing less damage by not contributing to the volume of damage that DuPont or Bent Creek gets.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Nothing to do with the trails in question, but Wilson Creek trails ride great wet if you must ride. Not all but most. So would Bottom Creek and Rattlesnake Ridge. These are some great trails in need of being ridden. 2cent
    Last edited by rocksolid; 12-29-2014 at 06:45 PM. Reason: drinking
    ORAMM!!!!!

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. Can I get some info on Wilson Creek and Bottom Creek? I don't see them on MTBProject.

And kjlued, I'll be in the area Friday and Saturday. I'll bring that old RS Mag21 if you still want it and can give me an idea of where I can give it to you. I may not have a ton of time, as I'll be riding and hiking with my wife and kids, but I can give it a shot.

Or, if you have a shop you trust, I can drop it off there. Your call.

mtbr member
    Hey Kevin if you use the trail link 181-Wilson on CarolinaMTbiker it has my garmin info there's also a link to my bottom creek ride. 181 is best to shuttle. PM me when your thinking of coming this way and I'll ride with you. Only thing is I usually head back to Columbia on weekends and hit these trails on night rides.
    ORAMM!!!!!

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    His question is not about whether or not he will be muddy or traction but instead about not tearing up the trials since PAS and other volunteers put countless hours in to maintaining them and riding wet does more damage than riding dry.
    Kind of hard to tell that that was his question. Must've been a very subtle one

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice all, sorry I missed your offer, rocksolid.

We rode Bent Creek yesterday and it was fantastic. Brutal climb to start the ride but the descents were well worth it. Some of the longest, fastest descents I've done since moving to east. No rain at all so it was a good day!