DuPont 7-22 conditions- Mtbr.com
    Appalachian Singletrack'n

DuPont 7-22 conditions

Thinking of driving over to Dupont tomorrow, any word on trail conditions? everything around where I live is too wet to ride.

lost
    Jun 2010
    I wanna know too....

Official Cooler Inspector
    Most of the regulars are involved in events this weekend. A Local Yokel's take: Sporadic rain showers all day in the area. I'm in Bent Creek - it's a wet heat.

Biggest concern - water crossings in Du might be high and fast. All those "sandy soil/drains well" comments usually mean "hard pack gear eating grit stream". Ride the rock from all directions. There's a workout.
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

mtbr member

Rode today...

...and there are lotsa soft & wet spots there. Jim Branch, Ridgeline, Hilltop, Isaac Heath, and Locust were well-drained and firm. Several places on Imaging (including the turn ~ 0.1 mile from the parking lot) were wall-to-wall muck. Parts of Grassy and Joanna were also holding water.

TZ
    Geriatric mountain biker and trail maintainer... ...with digital braking!

mtbr member
    rode there yesterday was ok until major down pour around 2pm creek crossing on Corn Mill Shoals trail was running to high to cross before the deluge so plan on bypassing that one for sure.
    Wilkie trail very much water logged. MIne Mtn was fine and as MUM mentioned Big rock and Cedar rock are rain proof.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I concur with TrailZen on the eastern side of the forest. The switchbacks on both Ridgeline and Jim Branch are showing some signs of erosion so roll lightly to try and prevent its spread.

Got a question though. I saw lots of little orange flags (the kind you see on lawns after being sprayed with pesticides). I looked at the kiosks and on line but no info. What is somebody trying to tell me or somebody else?

mtbr member

Ridgeline?

If the pin flags you saw were about half-way down Ridgeline on your right, they're a proposal for an alternate line. Might happen, might not...

TZ

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Also saw them along Tarklin Branch Road and Sandy Trail.

mtbr member

Trail Funding at DSRF...

...by Friends of DuPont Forest has greatly increased this year--FoDF has already put around $40K on the ground. In addition to the major work on trails such as Corn Mill Shoals, Reasonover Creek, Grassy, Longside, etc, several trails have been inventoried and marked for general maintenance needs. I suspect that the pin flags you saw along Sandy and Tarkiln indicated water management needs such as rolling grade dips and drainage.

TZ

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Parts of Joanna was a creek on the 21st

Members who have read this thread: 0