Dumb, Newbie, where was I at Bent Creek Q???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Dumb, Newbie, where was I at Bent Creek Q???

#@%$*#@ PDF Trail Map !

I rode the South Side today for the first time: parked at Campground connector, rode that past the Lake and Sewage Plant, turned right across the stone bridge, then left up a Forest Service Rd (there is a gravel trail to the right) that wound moderately up and up w/o a break until South Ridge Rd came in from above right and to the left, another Forest Service Rd with grassy center that white-knuckled steeply back down and put me out at a gate to the Arboretum.

I thought I was going up Pine Tree; it's hard to tell just where Homestead begins and ends on the map. Where the heck was I? (and yes, I will now spring for the 10 bucks for the bike store map)
    IT'S CRACKERS TO SLIP A ROZZER THE DROPSY IN SNIDE

Official Cooler Inspector
    Might you have ridden Rocky Cove or Hardtimes? Its been a long time since I've been over that direction, but heard from other folks those intersections are a bit confusing.
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

Gabe.....
    Congratulations! Your learning your way around..............no substitute for first hand experience. Keep it up and enjoy!
    "Roll your own..........." http://smokebikes.com/

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. Blowing up the FS map to the max it looks like I went up Hard Times and came down Rocky Cove, which, had it been snow-covered, would have been a double Black! God bless disc brakes.

It also appears that instead of going past the lake I need to turn south onto Pine Tree or Explorer (more possibilities there) before the lake from the camping area.

Gotta learn the South Side before the winds of October bring out the Beer, errrrr, Bear Hunters

Hey Smoke! I thought Ohms Law was an achievement but you had to learn Geometry! Building useful stuff is fun tho'.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dumb, Newbie, where was I at Bent Creek Q???-img_1551_1.jpg  

Dumb, Newbie, where was I at Bent Creek Q???-img_0823_1.jpg  

mtbr member
    South Ridge rd. will give you access to most of the trails above the lake. Sleepy Gap hooks up with Explorer and at the far end a trail(which I don't think is labeled right) Chestnut cove hooks up to Explorer. On the sign(which is propped up against a tree) it says no bikes but I think that is for the upper side that accesses the mountain to sea trail. Same thing applies to Sleepy Gap. No bikes on the upper side. Don't worry bear hunting is a no no in BC. It is a bear sanctuary all the way to 276. Just deer hunting and other small game.

Gabe.....
    Quote Originally Posted by 450VoltsDC

Hey Smoke! I thought Ohms Law was an achievement but you had to learn Geometry! Building useful stuff is fun tho'.
    Check that out!!!!!! Don't know what it is but I like it.......alot! I see a transformer and some tubes and a CD next to it.....all that can mean is some Hi-Fi chit 4-shur.
    "Roll your own..........." http://smokebikes.com/

mtbr member
    Check that out!!!!!! Don't know what it is but I like it.......alot! I see a transformer and some tubes and a CD next to it.....all that can mean is some Hi-Fi chit 4-shur.
    Roll yer own, as it says on your blog shortcut, is best. Plus, when it breaks, it doesn't have to get sent off somewhere to be repaired, or end up in a landfill!

Don't worry bear hunting is a no no in BC. It is a bear sanctuary all the way to 276. Just deer hunting and other small game.
    I understand that hunting is allowed north of the road only, which is why I'm so interested in the south. Last year I was hiking with Eddie The Dog up Ledford and heard gunfire. Came around a bend and 2 guys were "hunting" tree branches and rocks with rifles.

mtbr member
    My understanding is you can hunt anywhere you would like in BC. North or South. Just can't hunt anywhere in the Blue Ridge Parkway corridor. Last year I saw two youthful lads crouched down in sniper positions on South Ridge. I have also passed numerous hunters just strolling along on South Ridge Rd with rifle in hand. There are two(and I am sure more) open fields on Deerfield(appropriately named) and Pine Tree that are managed just for wildlife. Regardless wear bright colors and make noise. I wish BC would not be open to hunters. It really is just a matter of time before something bad happens out there during hunting season.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snototter
    My understanding is you can hunt anywhere you would like in BC. North or South. Just can't hunt anywhere in the Blue Ridge Parkway corridor. Last year I saw two youthful lads crouched down in sniper positions on South Ridge. I have also passed numerous hunters just strolling along on South Ridge Rd with rifle in hand. There are two(and I am sure more) open fields on Deerfield(appropriately named) and Pine Tree that are managed just for wildlife. Regardless wear bright colors and make noise. I wish BC would not be open to hunters. It really is just a matter of time before something bad happens out there during hunting season.
    So with my grandaughter and dog it's Sundays at Bent Creek only. I have no faith whatsoever in my heavily armed fellow man. ****!

mtbr member
    Rifle season is only about 3 weeks long. I can let them have it for that length of time. Yeah, if hunting is only allowed on one side, it must be a recent rule-change.

pronounced may-duh
    Not 100% sure but, I assume there is no hunting in the Lake Powhatan rec area. The campground and the picnic areas adjacent to the lake. Not sure where that ends but it certainly is not the entire south side of BC.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedchick
    Rifle season is only about 3 weeks long. I can let them have it for that length of time. Yeah, if hunting is only allowed on one side, it must be a recent rule-change.
    Rifle Season?

Is that an arrow in your shorts, Kimosabee, or are you just glad to see me?

mtbr member
    Eh...according to my husband (who hunts rifle and bow...but not in BC) you don't have to worry much about bow hunters, because you have to be much, much closer to your target to hit it with an arrow. Thus,a person is unlikely to be mistaken for a deer. Also, bow hunters tend to be more advanced hunters looking for more of a challenge...and thus less likely to make stupid,deadly mistakes.

But , you know , that's 2nd hand, and those are generalizations... YMMV.

Members who have read this thread: 0