Downhill trail in Brevard-2015 Bell Built Grant- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Downhill trail in Brevard-2015 Bell Built Grant

Downhill trail in Brevard-2015 Bell Built Grant-bell-built-toolkit-email-east-semifinals-gorges.jpg

Help us bring a legit DH trail to Brevard. Voting starts May 11. Stay tuned for more info as it filters in. If you've never been to Gorges State Park it is about a 20 min. drive west of Brevard, on the Blue Ridge escarpment.

This trail will be free for all users.
    Last edited by park baker; 04-16-2015 at 06:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by park baker View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bell-built-toolkit-email-east-semifinals-gorges.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	128.4 KB 
ID:	980096

Help us bring a legit DH trail to Brevard. Voting starts May 11. Stay tuned for more info as it filters in. If you've never been to Gorges State Park it is about a 20 min. drive west of Brevard, on the Blue Ridge escarpment.

This trail will be free for all users and will encourage rider progression regardless of your income. Fight the cool kid club and passion will prevail.
    Nice work Park I hope you guys win that grant!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Will vote!

mtbr member
    Direct link for voting:
    http://www.bellhelmets.com/bell-built/

Starts May 11, cool stuff!

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    will vote

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

mtbr member
    Voting is live!!!! Vote now!!

Start voting people! We're second in the lead...no goody.

Big Mac
    Does not look good.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Please beat the Urban Wilderness.

I expected more from NC. I mean...oh well. Bailey mountain bike park is opening soon too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by profro View Post
    Please beat the Urban Wilderness.
    This from a shredder who lives in TN!

Come on people...you heard him. VOTE!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    This from a shredder who lives in TN!

Come on people...you heard him. VOTE!
    Yep, I drive right past that trail network on my way to ride real mountain bike trails in the Brevard area. Would make way more sense to add more quality trails to an area like Western NC, which actually has the elevation.

western NC
    Voted

aaaaaaaaaaaaand we lost

mtbr member
    It was a good effort, and I hope that something still happens in the future with this park because that is a ton of elevation change!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AshevilleMtBiker View Post
    aaaaaaaaaaaaand we lost
    to an "urban" wilderness

Saaaad that we have so many riders who didn't take 2 mins to vote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    So we lost to Knox, big deal. It was due to numbers not apathy, they have more peeps and better organized clubs. Now lets support them in the finals against the west coast. It's better to have this new DH two hours away than across the country. Support the southeast, vote for Knoxville ...woohoo.
    Pisgah Forest NC

Yeah...done voted. ...and so far it's looking good

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTireGoose View Post
    So we lost to Knox, big deal. It was due to numbers not apathy, they have more peeps and better organized clubs. Now lets support them in the finals against the west coast. It's better to have this new DH two hours away than across the country. Support the southeast, vote for Knoxville ...woohoo.
    Facts are, you will not have a DH spot 2 hours away. There simply isn't the elevation in the "Urban Wilderness". Fact. Sad to see a place like the Brevard location with 2000ft of elevation not beat out a "DH" trail in South Knoxville.

I will admit that watching the videos made it clear that the Knox one was executed way better than Brevard's. It appeared to hit all the buzz words so to speak. The Brevard one didn't. Not sure the effect that had on the results, but if I didn't know better I suppose I would have voted for the Knox one based on the video alone.

Facts are, you will not have a DH spot 2 hours away. There simply isn't the elevation in the "Urban Wilderness". Fact. Sad to see a place like the Brevard location with 2000ft of elevation not beat out a "DH" trail in South Knoxville.

I will admit that watching the videos made it clear that the Knox one was executed way better than Brevard's. It appeared to hit all the buzz words so to speak. The Brevard one didn't. Not sure the effect that had on the results, but if I didn't know better I suppose I would have voted for the Knox one based on the video alone.
    Ummmm Bailey Mountain Bike Park is opening soon in Mars Hill. It's a downhill park all year round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

It was difficult to put the project together...I was alone in the entire thing, and I have a full-time job. One woman on the Friends group with me was trying to tell everyone that a local trail builder should build the trail if we won, I had to remind her that local trail builders (other than Chris, Mike or Andrew) had no business building a jump line. That pissed her off. I doubt she voted.

I do believe that the project wasn't supported locally as well as it could have been because some people are just haters, they don't want to see other people be successful no matter what. Personal distaste for someone, warped perceptions, or any number of things cause people to do what they do. That's sad.

I went to every bike shop in WNC to promote the grant, and was told that I could put the flyers they gave me on their billboards, and that was all they could to support the project. The Brevard bike shops promoted it on their social medias, as did Cane Creek and I-9. That certainly helped.

The local tourism development authority helped, but there are a fraction of the people who live here. And as an aside, I think more people care about being seen on the scene than really riding. I spoke with someone recently who I know goes to all the races, hashtags all the #pisgahs, but didn't vote. He forgot. Oh well, it's done. Maybe the land manager would agree to let us build it if he didn't have to pay anything.

mtbr member
    Sad to see a place like the Brevard location with 2000ft of elevation not beat out a "DH" trail in South Knoxville.
    My thoughts exactly D. That could have been something truly legendary, but alas, the local scene is too busy being seen on the scene, as Park put it.

For comparison, A-line at Whistler has roughly 1,100ft of elevation. What could have been!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Park, I hope you know I wasn't being negative towards your effort. The Knoxville effort has the support of the city government. Which is kinda of ridiculous if you ask me. For a project that has the support that the "Urban Wilderness" does it seems like the rich getting richer when compared to a true grassroots effort like what you were trying to spearhead for Gorges. But that is how the world rotates. Its not what you know, its who you know.

That whole Urban Wilderness and its propaganda is kinda silly and very much a one trick pony. The AMBC just keeps pouring money, labor, and efforts into a that area while the rest of the area around Knoxville just gets left behind. Instead of promoting real mountain biking in surrounding areas will real elevation, they just keep blowing money on machine rentals to make more of the same. I know I'll probably be ostracized for speaking my mind on this, but I'm being honest. Knoxville has true wilderness in all directions of the compass less than 1 hour from downtown yet there is no development. I think the Urban Wilderness has its place and its a cool thing for that area, but the riding scene is bigger than South Knoxville, or at least should be.

That being said, I'll keep driving over the montains to get my MOUNTAIN BIKING fix in the Brevard area. Hell, I just road full Black Mountain for the first time last weekend. Boy, I have been missing out.

It was difficult to put the project together...
    park, thanks for trying.

First of all, I think it's silly that the woman got upset because you wouldn't give the money to local trail builders. You saw a business opportunity, and gave it a shot.

Second, it's ridiculous that the LBSs didn't support this. It's in their best interest. More trails + more riders = more bikes sold. Especially with a new downhill system....

Maybe you can find an investor? I hope that somehow you'll be able to achieve your dream one day.

Vlad

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Park, I hope you know I wasn't being negative towards your effort. The Knoxville effort has the support of the city government. Which is kinda of ridiculous if you ask me. For a project that has the support that the "Urban Wilderness" does it seems like the rich getting richer when compared to a true grassroots effort like what you were trying to spearhead for Gorges. But that is how the world rotates. Its not what you know, its who you know.

That whole Urban Wilderness and its propaganda is kinda silly and very much a one trick pony. The AMBC just keeps pouring money, labor, and efforts into a that area while the rest of the area around Knoxville just gets left behind. Instead of promoting real mountain biking in surrounding areas will real elevation, they just keep blowing money on machine rentals to make more of the same. I know I'll probably be ostracized for speaking my mind on this, but I'm being honest. Knoxville has true wilderness in all directions of the compass less than 1 hour from downtown yet there is no development. I think the Urban Wilderness has its place and its a cool thing for that area, but the riding scene is bigger than South Knoxville, or at least should be.

That being said, I'll keep driving over the montains to get my MOUNTAIN BIKING fix in the Brevard area. Hell, I just road full Black Mountain for the first time last weekend. Boy, I have been missing out.
    profro I understand where you're coming from. Knoxville could be a ton better. But imagine it without the urban wilderness. Why wouldn't you support making it better? I don't know about it being a one trick pony: lets see there is 40 miles at the urban wilderness, there's what just got done at sharps, norris, loyston, haw ridge and windrock. Have you ridden all those trails and wish they weren't there? It took a ton of work to make those trails happen. Are we Brevard? Hell no. Name a place that is. What are you doing to make it better?

As far as coming on here bragging about riding "real mtn biking trails" in brevard: do you think you're the only one who makes the 2 hr drive to the awesome trails in brevard. I know multiple people who spend more than 40 days a year riding over there. I'd bet most of us have done the classic starter routes like Black multiple times. The difference is we don't come on the internet bashing our hometown and puffing our chests out about riding "real trail." I don't think I know you, and you might turn out to be a pretty cool guy in person but I don't really respect the way you see things.

I can understand voting for Gorges for the regional. But now that knoxville is the east coast representative I don't see why you would continue to trash it. What are you going to do, not vote or vote for Cali?

Sorry to hijack the NC/SC forum. For everybody else, we really could use your help. Wouldn't it be nice to have a few less people travelling to crowd your home trails? Help us make knoxville a little better. Wouldn't it be nice to have really great trails in brevard, knoxville and chattanooga?

When the gorges jump line makes another effort, you can bet I'll plunk down some time, votes and cash to help make it a reality.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    FYI,

I built and maintained the Windrock DH trails
    I built and maintained the Bigfoot dirt jumps
    I build and still maintain the Windrock XC trails
    I also raised more than $500 from a raffle at Windrock to donate to the AMBC when it got restarted about 10 years ago before the first tool was put in the dirt at South Knoxville.

My point was to see areas other than the "Urban Wilderness" get some attention. Unless I know otherwise, AMBC hasn't built any mileage at "norris, loyston, haw ridge and windrock". Think of the upside if AMBC flexed it muscle at Norris, Frozen Head, Cumberland Trail, or Cherokee National Forest....

The local bike scene around the Paint Creek area of Cherokee National Forest worked with the Forest Service to re-purpose old, unused hiking trails into biking trails. After 40 miles in South Knoxville wouldn't it be time to start developing more trails like this?

Downhill trail in Brevard-2015 Bell Built Grant-20150215-100137.jpg

In my opinion, having any trail with 2000ft of elevation change is better than any trail in the South Knoxville area. Thats my style of riding. I hope Park and others can still get some support to make it happen.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Good (and thanks). I don't disagree about the potential in around knoxville or about the potential in brevard. As I said, I'd be down to help Gorges happen as well.

Still, you gonna vote for Cali or something?