• 08-02-2010
    Cedar Branch Biker
    Don't touch the dirt in the Boone area?
    Having spent a lot of time in and around Boone, and recently getting the itch to go off pavement, I checked the Boone area for bike riding on the week of the 4th of July. Seems biking in the mountains is all about trying to be Lance Armstrong. I couldn't believe there was such a shortage of off-road riding. If you want to ride dirt, it has to be a dirt (unpaved road). There are trails around Cone Park that would make for great riding, but are for foot or horse-back only. If you hike these trails, you better enjoy the fresh odor of "horse biscuits". Was happy to see there will actually be mountain bike trails in the MOUNTAINS in the Boone area in the near future. Now just have to get in shape, which ain't easy when you're 61 and seriously out-of-shape. I would say stay safe out there, but that would take the fun out of it for a lot of you.
  • 08-02-2010
    Lule
    Gotta go to Kerr Reservoir for legal trails at the moment. If you go south into Pisgah, the unmarked trails are fun but really rough. Hang in there as Rocky Knob is being developed right now. The trails should be stunning when finished.