Do you like singletrack?- Mtbr.com

Poll: Do you like singletrack?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Do you like singletrack?

I was riding one of my favorite trails this afternoon, and I couldn't help but notice that the trail is getting wider. I don't know about other people, but I generally enjoy a nice tight, twisty singletrack trail more than a wide doubletrack. Luckily, I thought of a solution to this problem. Stay on the trail! Now I've missed a turn or two in my day, but going off the trail to avoid a rock or root is sad in more ways than one. I realize that this site tends to lend itself to people who like rocks and roots, so maybe I'm preaching to the choir, but I'm not happy. If you can't ride a trail without leaving it, stay on the novice loops or put slicks on your 29er and hit the road. Thanks.

mtbr member
    I will second the fact that there are cheater lines popping up all over the place, really dumbing things up. We are definitely creating erosion and can't blame everything on horses.
    "You can make some of the people happy some of the time, but you can't make all of the people happy all of the time."

mtbr member
    People have fragile egos and they can't stand being thwarted by trail features. It's a form of mental illness. An inability to admit weakness forces them to change the trail to suit their brittle self-esteems.

Sorry to sugar-coat it.

Big Mac
    I agree with all the above. I'd add that it seems to be Human Nature to go around stuff. Kinda like a habit. People often are not even aware of what they are doing. As a result they just do what everybody else did/does, like following the tracks in front of them. Next thing ya know, it's a full on reroute. Must be some sort of aversion technique. No one wants to get hurt or dirty! And, yeah, I agree, it sucks.

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Ever driven a car in 3rd world countries? If the highway funds ever do get allocated and they repave a major highway, they pave the reroute that went around the original pothole instead of fixing the hole that caused the reroute.

thecentralscrutinizer
    Eastcoast singletrack fan here.

Edit: I don't care for people who sterilize the trail.
    Last edited by mopartodd; 07-15-2010 at 05:11 PM.

I bike long tyme.
    This reminds me of a guy in our ride group that would stop and move rocks off the trail. He would literally clean out a rock garden if you gave him the chance. We'd always replace the obstacles and kick his ass afterwards. Took MANY repeated bashings to get that joker to leave the trails alone.
    People wait for me on the way up. I wait for them on the way down.

mtbr member
    More side hill trails would seem the solution. Not only are they great riding, they also self correct the bad behavior of riding around obstacles.

WNC Native
    One of the guys I ride with is like that, he seems to hate any kind of trail feature. He's told me that he has removed some rocks before himself and cuts out trees that are a non issue (3-4 inch diameter stuff).

The way I see it, if you dumb everything down you will never improve!

I've got all kinds of room for that.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    I once was so irritated with this I put up a sign that said

"Stay on trail or stay home".

USFS took it down.

Official Cooler Inspector
    Many years ago, we had a Rambo, Jr. (disabled vet playing tactical maneuvers) in Bent Creek who used to lay some trail obstacles. I'll admit, I've cleared single track of hazards. String is not indigenous to WNC is it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by M-U-M
    Many years ago, we had a Rambo, Jr. (disabled vet playing tactical maneuvers) in Bent Creek who used to lay some trail obstacles. I'll admit, I've cleared single track of hazards. String is not indigenous to WNC is it?
    Heard about this dude. Love how ppl still try to close certain trails that will continue to be nameless.

Don't like wide trails? Eh, I don't know I just like being in the woods on my bike at this point. I have found that getting all huffy about trail conditions here is pointless, they will change often as we have a very healthy user group and w/ a large # of mountain bikers riding trails, they will continue to widen to a certain point.

Too narrow is a bad thing too. Indeed if you can't ride it, carry your bike and get over it.
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    Narrow trails are still found in Pisgah proper too...
    My one says BRAP!

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by plume
    Narrow trails are still found in Pisgah proper too...

I have scratches all over my arms to prove it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    I have scratches all over my arms to prove it.
    Exactly, and while that is fun, sometimes it's nice to ride slightly wider trails that allow a scratch free experience.
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Yeah, there is still excellent singletrack in Pisgah. I need to make some friends so I can ride it without worrying about dying I'm concerned that the trails in places like Dupont will close to bikes due to erosion and "unauthorized" trail reroutes, even if it isn't only the bikers that are causing it.

Some Assembly Required
    Quote Originally Posted by M-U-M

As I understand it, th FS is guilty of putting string on trails, well in Wilsons Creek, (which sucks btw), anyways. They use it to measure the length of the trailz I believe.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

That's Special

Wilsons Creek, (which sucks btw)

I agree. I rode out there for the first time last weekend and let me tell you, it sucked. I mean bad. Don't go there ever.

Carry on.

Some Assembly Required
    Quote Originally Posted by Sublime Ink
    I agree. I rode out there for the first time last weekend and let me tell you, it sucked. I mean bad. Don't go there ever.:nono:

Carry on.

YEAH EVER !!!!....heh, heh....totaly sucks....totaly
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

Members who have read this thread: 0