Do the trails close in the Asheville area?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Do the trails close in the Asheville area?

A couple of buddies and myself a set to leave Kansas City next Tuesday to ride Asheville for a week or so. Forecast isn't looking super assuring, but I wasn't sure if you guys closed your trails after rain down there.

I know in KC we have a lot of clay that turns to mud in a hurry, and our trails are always closed right after a rain. You can drive 3 hours south to Arkansas and ride in the rain all day though, so terrains greatly vary.

I am not super familiar with the terrain around Asheville, so I wanted to make sure we weren't going to drive all that way and have to sit on our bums because the trails are closed. Worst case scenario we head west instead and hit Sedona or Moab (we are all crazy excited about Asheville though, so hopefully it works out).

mtbr member
    Nothing "officially" closes in the national forest due to rain. So Bent Creek, Pisgah, etc. are all good to ride rain or shine. You wont be ticketed or anything riding wet trails.

That being said if its a monsoon use your best judgement.
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I don't really ride Bent Creek that often, but nothing in Pisgah or DuPont closes AFAIK. You may see notices asking people to stay off the trails, but only when it's really bad. I think the only time I saw that this year was after 6+in of snow melted and it rained for a few days after. You are expected to use your judgement.

Things generally handle water here really well, except Bent Creek and a few others around due to the trail surface (Spencer Gap, Trace Ridge maybe?). Both Pisgah and DuPont seem to dry out really quickly, although there will be sections that are always wet or streams that just pop up in random places soaking part of the trail.

You shouldn't have a problem riding here due to the trails being wet, in other words. I think your comfort riding on wet rooty and rocky trails will probably be more of a factor than the trail conditions.

Big Mac
    DuPont actually does close trails on occasion. USFS, does not. That said, whether or not you should ride a trail depends upon the trail and the current conditions, that literally change daily. This time of year, something, somewhere is always ridable. Ask on this forum when you get here, and you're sure to get an earful.

mtbr member
    If it's super wet try to stay on the ridgeline trails. Try to avoid trails with a lot of clay during freeze thaw.

Formerly of Kent
    As stated, DuPont closes trails.

The USFS, unless it's for public safety (fire, etc.) cannot deny you access, AFAIK. Should you ride wet USFS trails? Depends on the trail. If you're leaving tire tracks, probably best to turn around and do some gravel grinding that day.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    As stated, DuPont closes trails.

The USFS, unless it's for public safety (fire, etc.) cannot deny you access, AFAIK. Should you ride wet USFS trails? Depends on the trail. If you're leaving tire tracks, probably best to turn around and do some gravel grinding that day.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Interestingly, the USFS does close roads when they get really sloppy, typically in the winter during freeze/thaw cycles, but not trails. Happens just about every year.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar_Brad View Post
    If it's super wet try to stay on the ridgeline trails. Try to avoid trails with a lot of clay during freeze thaw.
    Hopefully, by next week, we'll be free and clear of freeze/thaw.

western NC
    Yep, looks like we're on track for blackberry winter this weekend, then it should be warm till fall.