Dirty Bird DH-Hawksnest- Mtbr.com
    I HUCK WITH CHUCK

Dirty Bird DH-Hawksnest

I know most of ya'll are strictly pisgah folks but I hope everyone will come out to race or spectate. Support local racing!

For the last couple months we have been working well under the radar putting together a new fall DH race at Hawksnest Ski Resort in Seven Devils, NC. Its called the Dirty Bird and will being taking place on August 22-23 (sat-sun). The track is just about finished now so we have decided to go ahead and let everyone know finally! There will be many details to follow, but I'll go ahead and try to answer some questions that you may have...

-There will be a shuttle system provided
    -We will run Pro qualifying on Saturday afternoon
    -As of right now, there will be no slalom, but that could change.
    - It will NOT be USAC sanctioned

And now what you all want to see, video of the track! This is roughly 3/4 of the race track, there will be go-arounds at a couple choice locations so everyone will be able to ride no problem. Its one of the most fun tracks I've ridden! You can get down really fast without a single pedal stroke, but to win you're gonna have to find places to sprint!

Props to DJ Trilliam for mixin up the sweet track and helping Motomike and I sound like we know how to flow.

Big thanks goes out to Liam and Andy at Hawksnest for getting the ball rolling, as well as everyone who has helped so far in the construction of the track.

Picture bomb to follow...

I HUCK WITH CHUCK
    Some pictures of track construction and testing...

fool goin up, joker down
    Jan 2009
    looks great how far is that from Columbia?
    Mamma speed I'm back!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Sweet! Of course as an ex-hawksnest ski-patroller, I think you should bill this as downhill at Hawksnest-tube-run-we-don't-ski-here-any-more race. Sorry, sour grapes. That said, if you need medical support, post back and I bet we can help out.

I HUCK WITH CHUCK
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenG
    Sweet! Of course as an ex-hawksnest ski-patroller, I think you should bill this as downhill at Hawksnest-tube-run-we-don't-ski-here-any-more race. Sorry, sour grapes. That said, if you need medical support, post back and I bet we can help out.

haha I thought telling people its a snow tubing resort might make them hesitant!

Don't worry its legit.

mtbr member
    DJ Trilliam ?! You guys are too funny!

If effort counts for anything, you're gonna do great.

I HUCK WITH CHUCK
    DJ Trilliam aka Trill Will Washam

is no longer new
    May 2008
    HAHA i LOVE the remix of the Trashmen song Surfin' Bird.
    I live in Asheville, go to school at ASU, and have never raced anything.I do DH, XC, and DJ style biking. Is this a race that would be a good intro to racing, or should i look somewhere else thats more beginner-friendly??? I'll def. try to come out and spectate, since its so close to school and home.
    CallMeTheNewGuy bikes across the US, summer 2010:

crazyguyonabike.com/doc/caravanofcrazies

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    very cool, i chuckled on the remix let me know if there's anything i can do to help... sorry no money

I HUCK WITH CHUCK
    Quote Originally Posted by brado1
    let me know if there's anything i can do to help... sorry no money

We really just need to work on sponsorship and local support right now. I'm sure we'll be looking for volunteers and stuff in the future.

...gotta build slalom and xc tracks too!

I HUCK WITH CHUCK
    Quote Originally Posted by callmetheNewGuy
    HAHA i LOVE the remix of the Trashmen song Surfin' Bird.
    I live in Asheville, go to school at ASU, and have never raced anything.I do DH, XC, and DJ style biking. Is this a race that would be a good intro to racing, or should i look somewhere else thats more beginner-friendly??? I'll def. try to come out and spectate, since its so close to school and home.
    This race would be suitable for a beginner racer. Anyone attempting it should be comfortable riding technical terrain, but we don't have any mandatory high-penalty jumps or drops. Everything deadly will have go-arounds. We're aiming to make this an event that will get non-racers racing. The track is awesome and the vibe will be aimed at spreading the love...

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenG

Oh, let's let the mountain move forward...

This is going to be a great event, the trail kicks total ass and we'll hopefully have a slalom course in time too.

And just so you know the cottom family isn't putting this on, a couple of employees that love to ride and some dedicated local shredders that build works of dirt-art are working really hard to make this a great racing experience from beginner to pro.

So hopefully spread the word and come race, there's still an opportunity to do a sport you love at the bird.

I HUCK WITH CHUCK
    The track is complete! We got pretty nuts with this last section. Crazy berms in open rhodo shale field. We also installed a set of 10 whoops to offer some minor speed control coming into the berm section. The dirt on this part of the mountain is nice and sculptable with solid rock content to make it durable. We lined the back of the berms with large rocks and installed a nice sized drainage pipe for water management. After the berm section there is a small step up and a massive chute drop. The chute is pretty densley covered so I couldn't really get a pic of it but its nice.

A couple pics:

Berms following the above rock berm.

Whoops for speed control before the berm section. Very skimmable and theres a lip to kind of double onto them as well.

Trail Grill.

The final product is about a 2 minute run and requires all types of riding skill. I have some really nice video clips from this section I'll try to post up soon. Tentative date for public track testing day is July 4th. We're still pursuing sponsorship so if anyone wants to help out please let me know!

Dig it!
    Looks great guys! Nice work and I can't wait to ride it. Y'all around on Sunday?
    Should you do more trail work?

dlc
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Is this open to the public all the time to ride? We got a house at the top of the mtn there and I would like ti check it out.

I HUCK WITH CHUCK
    Quote Originally Posted by dlc
    Is this open to the public all the time to ride? We got a house at the top of the mtn there and I would like ti check it out.

Unfortunately I can't give you permission to ride there on your own. The guys at hawksnest have been having trouble with tresspassers checking out the track while we aren't there. Its a liability issue; they don't want anyone riding up there uninsured.

However, I'm on the track all the time so you're welcome to send me a message next time you're up and we can probably work something out.

I have to insist that everyone respect the signage and stay off the track for the time being. We really want the management at Hawksnest to have a good image of mountain bikers so we can keep building trails and hopefully open them to the public.

Feb 2004
    Hey all, just a reminder our race is coming up this weekend. Should be a load of fun, we'll have lots of great prizes, $ for pros, food and beer available for spectators.

mtbr member
    Beer available to spectators.All I will need to bring is my cowbell. We'll need plenty of cowbell.

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bknut
    Beer available to spectators.All I will need to bring is my cowbell. We'll need plenty of cowbell.

However much cowbell you've got, bring it cause we're gonna need more...

mtbr member
    This trail looks sick! Is it open to the public this summer?
    "Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." -Mark Twain

mtbr member
    no only open for races.however you can get in touch with the crew on hawksnest and they have been known to give tours.

Members who have read this thread: 0