Decent XC trails near Boone ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2005

Decent XC trails near Boone ?

'Thinking about visiting a friend in Boone and was wondering if there are any decent XC trails nearby, say within an hour drive.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfdog93 View Post
    'Thinking about visiting a friend in Boone and was wondering if there are any decent XC trails nearby, say within an hour drive.
    Kerr Scott trails. About 45 minutes from Boone. They aren't hard core enough for a lot of the posters here, but they are very highly rated in the XC community. Flowy, bermed, and fun.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Vettevert View Post
    Kerr Scott trails. About 45 minutes from Boone. They aren't hard core enough for a lot of the posters here, but they are very highly rated in the XC community. Flowy, bermed, and fun.
    Perfect, thanks, exactly what I'm after !
    I was checking Strava and also saw a couple popular segments to ESE called Brushy MTN and LV-Roubaix Climb….do you know if these are worth checking out ?

Rogue Exterminator
    Kerr Scott, OVT and Warrior are all in the same area and flowy XC style trails.
    If you want some fun and Jumps and don't mind the climbs, don't pass up Rocky Knob right there in Boone.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Kerr Scott is definitely worth the trip. Dark Mountain is my favorite over there. I'm sure everyone has there own.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Went to Kerr Scott this past summer with the family. Had a blast. Only rode OVT but want to go back. Nice flowy, smooth trail. Reminded me a lot of FATS. Also rode Rocky Knob just outside of Boone. Shorter, rocky and fun. If you drive by I would stop and check it out.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Love FATS, so am looking forward to Kerr Scott. Printed out the maps for all trails, but if like FATS, they may not be required. Thanks Guys !

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Kerr Scott is loads of fun. OVT (6 mile out and back) is my fav. Great flow. Longish gradual downhills, and ups too. No real tech, but the faster you go the more challenging. Like Raystown Lake in PA if you've ever been. Warrior Creek is fun too. More FATS like. Dark Mountain is more old school XC with some flow type sections mixed in. Enjoy!

ready to ride
    Hope I have the names right but I thought Dark mountain was a huge let down. Short climbs and short decents. Everything just felt forced and compacted in too small of an area. I will never go back.

OVT, meh. Had some fun sections. Not a huge fan of out and backs plus the steaming pile of Dark Mountain was at the end..

Warrior Creek. Now that was fun. Nothing huge but the trails are really done well. nice, mm cough flow, but nice berms, undulations etc. I also liked the alternate technical route at the end. Some fun chunks to finish the ride up.

I'd go back, and camp and ride at warrior creek but would skip the rest.

Oh and yeah ride Rocky Knob. We don't have these classifications in the states but i would consider it Red level XC. Admittedly more "trail" some drops and some small but fun jumps at the end. I'd love to see them put in a true black diamond section with some mandatory gap jumps and other gravity defying features.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan