Croft vs Isaqueena- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Croft vs Isaqueena

Weather permitting I was planning on driving from Asheville on Saturday to ride in SC. I have not ridden either and was looking for some input on the two. I do know that they appear to be the relatively same distance from Asheville. What are your opinions on comparing them.

Thanks

Brian

Trail Liberator
    Issaqueena is very smooth and fast, the climbing seems to be very gradual.. Croft is not nearly as groomed. More technical features and the climbing is somewhat harder.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks TC,

Would you have any recommended routes for Croft and throw in the tech stuff.

B

mtbr member
    Issaqueena has more mileage plus a freeride course thrown in.

But you can't lose either way. They're both pretty fun.

banned
    Upstate sorbas' website says there are only 7 miles at Issaqueena, is this correct? We got in 19 miles @ Croft last sunday and I thought it was pretty good since our trails are all toast. Looks like we will be heading south again this sunday with the snow coming back again tonight.

Trail Liberator
    You didnt see some of the best trail that Croft has to offer. Mike doesnt know all the trails and Steve wont ride the harder ones.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cruso414
    Upstate sorbas' website says there are only 7 miles at Issaqueena, is this correct? We got in 19 miles @ Croft last sunday and I thought it was pretty good since our trails are all toast. Looks like we will be heading south again this sunday with the snow coming back again tonight.
    The cranksgiving charity chase at Issaqueena last year ran around 50 miles and never repeated any mileage. Granted a lot of it was very little used trails and there were some fireroads thrown in but there is a LOT more than 7 miles out there.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 7daysaweek
    The cranksgiving charity chase at Issaqueena last year ran around 50 miles and never repeated any mileage. Granted a lot of it was very little used trails and there were some fireroads thrown in but there is a LOT more than 7 miles out there.
    anybody planning on riding Issaqueena this sunday and want to show us Asheville folks around?

mtbr member
    I don't know how much this will affect the xc trails as I have never ridden them at Clemson, but there is a DH race this weekend out there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yeah, Clemson Freeride is on Saturday. I am going there this Saturday to watch some friends and I plan on riding in the morning since racing starts at 1pm. My friend is mapping at a route for me. Hopefully my legs will work for me this weekend as I had a total failure last weekend at Croft during the groupride.

mtbr member
    I am probably going to go to the downhill race and ride some XC beforehand on Saturday if anyone wants to join me just be @ the downhill area ~8:00. I know my way around well enough to get some miles in before the race. Shouldn't be hard to pick out a XC guy on a rigid single speed in a plethora of DH'ers.
    BS'ing less, riding more.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcstoned
    You didnt see some of the best trail that Croft has to offer. Mike doesnt know all the trails and Steve wont ride the harder ones.
    TC, we can only dream of achieving your level of Croftness one day. We bow to your superior navigation and technical skills.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tcstoned
    yeah... you know how I hate to ride a hard trail... I avoid those at all cost...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Tomato: yes please.
    I'll try to haul myself up there by 8.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EmilyB
    Tomato: yes please.
    I'll try to haul myself up there by 8.
    Cool, I will probably register when I first get there so ride time will be closer to 8:30 anyway. See ya tomorrow.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

Trail Liberator
    No need to hate, Mike. My Croftness is due to the time spent improving the trail system. How much trail maintenance are you doing at Croft? Emailing IMBA doesnt really count in my book.

mtbr member
    May 2009

Riding Sat.

Does anyone know if any trails will be ridable during the racing??

mtbr member
    The race only involves the DH course. There are plenty of XC trails that will be open to public use tomorrow.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

mtbr member
    Having ridden both locations back to back I will have to say that I like Issaquenna better than Croft. It isn't smooth and there is alot of challenging climbing. There is also 60+ miles of singletrack out there. i also like that it isn't built to IMBA Standard. That is the same reason I like Pisgah. It's just hard riding.

mtbr member
    Next time you better ride all 60 miles of it . . .

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4000psi
    Having ridden both locations back to back I will have to say that I like Issaquenna better than Croft. It isn't smooth and there is alot of challenging climbing. There is also 60+ miles of singletrack out there. i also like that it isn't built to IMBA Standard. That is the same reason I like Pisgah. It's just hard riding.
    Glad to here you enjoyed Issaqueena...I didn't feel like challenging tcstoned opinion of Issaqueena. I assumed he hadn't rode any of the fun trails.

H8 H8 H8

Best areas at Issaqueena?

I've been out there a couple times, but don't really know my way around. What are the best areas? Any areas that aren't worthwhile / are best avoided / are a boggy mess?

Only ever been in the area immediately east of Issaqueena Lake... what are the southern
    trails and Todd's Creek trails like?

Thanks,
    zb
    Yeah, it's strange. But oh well.

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard
    I've been out there a couple times, but don't really know my way around. What are the best areas? Any areas that aren't worthwhile / are best avoided / are a boggy mess?

Only ever been in the area immediately east of Issaqueena Lake... what are the southern
    trails and Todd's Creek trails like?

Thanks,
    zb
    south end trail Doyle Bottom area.. Hunting Arrow, Waterfall, good technical

H8 H8 H8
    Quote Originally Posted by brado1
    south end trail Doyle Bottom area.. Hunting Arrow, Waterfall, good technical
    Thanks,

Know anything about the Todd's Creek stuff?
    Yeah, it's strange. But oh well.

mtbr member
    I've asked the same thing about Todd's Creek looks to be alot of trail but from what I've been told there's nothing there

Members who have read this thread: 0