Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard
    How is Croft Southside these days? Would I be better off at Southside or
    Palmetto end this afternoon? Leaning towards Southside because I actually
    know how to get around there. Does anybody still ride over there with all
    the love the other side is getting?

Thanks,
    zb
    Talkin' w/ Fincher the other day he mentioned the rangers were out issuing tickets to anyone riding the bootleg stuff, don't know how true that is, heard rumor that the park is going to make everything open on the dairy ridge side to horses only. no bikes... again i don't know what truth there is to any of it..just what i heard

H8 H8 H8
    Quote Originally Posted by brado1
    Talkin' w/ Fincher the other day he mentioned the rangers were out issuing tickets to anyone riding the bootleg stuff, don't know how true that is, heard rumor that the park is going to make everything open on the dairy ridge side to horses only. no bikes... again i don't know what truth there is to any of it..just what i heard

Guess I will stick to Southside tonight.
    Yeah, it's strange. But oh well.

Trail Liberator
    Come ride at 2. Tickets are BS. We are all feelin the love right now.

H8 H8 H8
    Quote Originally Posted by tcstoned
    Come ride at 2. Tickets are BS. We are all feelin the love right now.

Thanks, but not off work 'til 4pm. Just looking for a short shakedown of a new bike that
    has been continuously problematic. Will probably spend more time futzing than riding.

I'd like to meet up some weekday afternoon sometime, though.

zb
    Yeah, it's strange. But oh well.

mtbr member
    I haven't been to SS in a couple of weeks, but it usally drains pretty well and is ridable a couple of days after a rain, with the one exception being the top of Centerline, so you get all the mud on your wheels just before you get back to your car. I usually take a lap around the ball park to knock the mud off.

I rode an out and back on Palmetto tonight with a couple of little extra loops thrown in. I would avoid the first little bit of the PT between the trailhead and the pump station. There are some serious mud holes in that section. Take the road down to where you see a gate on the right. Carry over that gate and that gravel road leads you to the PT. After crossing Dairy Ridge, the PT is in pretty good shape except for a few spots where our 4 legged friends have really messed it up. The worst of these are just before the bridge and towards the end where it comes into the double track section.

Of course the forecast for this weekend looks pretty crappy so this report is only good until the next rain.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Yeah, I did a long ride at Croft yesterday, and the the first section of the PT to the pump station is turd soup. Avoid it. Everything else was fine except in a couple of spots where it looked like some horses held a tap dancing class.
    As far as the ticket issue, I don't know what is going on there.
    I have recently had discussions with one of the rangers there, and he told me flat out that he is not in the business of giving tickets. It is simply not what he wants to do.
    He was also for getting more of the trails to be legal, so we can actually have good legal loops from the Palmetto trail head/Dairy ridge rd. area.
    This discussion also included one of the main guys involved with the horses, and he was on the same page as well. They want more trails open to everyone with most being multi use, and some horse only and some bike only.
    From what I gathered so far, it seems all the bickering mainly stems from things not getting legalized at the state level which is the same old song and dance some of these guys have been dealing with for years. I need to talk to more local mtbers involved out there, and get their feelings on the current situation. I got put on this new Friends of Croft board which represents all user groups, and I found out real quick there is an awful lot of conflict for a state park that hardly anybody goes to. They were talking about conflict at the last meeting and I told them I just did a 3 hour ride out there on a Saturday, and did not see another soul. Maybe I will pick a fight with a tree next time. You want conflict, go to Paris on a Sunday afternoon where you can't rip a berm without coming upon a Smith family reunion and their 7 dogs hiking along.
    It shouldn't be this complicated.
    SEI Racing

Members who have read this thread: 0