Cowbell XC Disaster.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Cowbell XC Disaster.

i'm sure it will show up here sooner or later, but i'll be brave and be the first.

the cowbell xc cat 2 18-29 race was the most badly organized race i've ever participated in. lining up for our start was impossible, the course was marked incorrectly, the organizers did not seem to take responsibility for their mistakes, the list goes on...

my race was shown on the website as 14 miles. funny, the website also shows the lap as an 8 mile lap. then on the start-line they announced 2 6mi laps for a total of 12 miles. no problem, sounds okay. my lap was 4 miles and 22 minutes long. i did not wake up at 5am after spending saturday night at a wedding and drive to davidson to race a short track event... i announced as i passed start/finish that our lap was 4 miles and you guys messed up. nothing. i finished my second lap so my total time was 45 minutes and distance was ~8 miles. not what people paid $50 for.

for the first time in my life, i had to protest the race results because it showed me winning our race. greg from damascus passed me on our second lap and there was another rider way up the trail from us. greg wasn't even listed on the results. they had him electronically registered as a cat 1. the racer that we feel won wasn't listed at all, and nobody knew his name to even tell the race director. there was not anyone at the finish line writing race numbers as racers crossed the line. they were relying 100% on technology to score the race. thank goodness taylors laptop didn't freeze.

finally, after my protest they announced to me that i was 2nd, although i told them i was 3rd. oh well. i planned to hang around and accept my award and stand on the podium even though i wanted to hop in the car and head back to boone. i turned around and saw a line of 10+ racers waiting to protest other results and decided not to hang around. i'm curious to see if i get a 2nd or 3rd trophy. hopefully an empty podium made our point.

i want a refund. or at least a 50% refund. i am not sure i plan to race cowbell again next year. the kenda us cup east should be represented better than that. find events that have been around for years and run with precision and class. ie, massanuttan hoo-ha, bump and grind, any goneriding.com or chris scott event, etc.

i know we're just the sport class and not as big a deal as expert or pro, but taylor still raked in $500+ from us. i don't think its right that they're making full profit on such a failed attempt at a race.

on a positive note, congrats to greg and the other unknown racer who also beat me. and thanks to john fuzzy for letting thatcher borrow a bike.

whew.
    Last edited by josephgrimes; 06-21-2009 at 02:23 PM.

banned
    I didn't understand why they changed the format from last year. I thought it was a great and fun event last year so I am glad I didn't go waste my time and money if it was that bad this year. Can't wait to hear the promoters excuse, but I am sure you will be the one called out for being an a$$ for complaining about it.

banned
    Remember there reply to you asking about the change Cruso414..????

"there are a few reasons, being part of the Kenda Cup East, US Cup XC Series, thought a if people wanted to both races of the marathon and the XC they could, another being so hot in June, wanted to try something different and why not a a weekend of mtn bike racing..."

Sounds like they should have left well enough alone.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I was also in the sport 18-29 class and they had me as third and no way in hell did I come in third. By the end of the protests I had dropped back to 6th which is where I had finished in the first place. No one was there for the podium.

I too thought we would be racing the full course. I even asked at the start and the guy said you will race the full marathon course; yet like Joseph said it was only 4miles. The whole course was just green level trails all the technical sections where taken out.. The race was boring. I am sorry guys Fisher Farm is better than what you all got to see. Charlotte has a bunch or well run events please don't let this one race keep y'all away.
    Last edited by PainkillerSPE; 06-21-2009 at 05:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear about your bad experiences on Sunday. My wife and I raced the Marathon on Saturday and other than the extreme heat ( recorded 115 on the heat index) the race and the event organizers were top notch.
    From registration to the results everything flowed just fine. I wonder if they cut the course short due to the fact that some of the trail was in pretty muddy rough shape and was taken a beating by the end of the day?

We were actually going to race on Sunday but the rear shock on my wifes bike blew and would have been unridable for the XC.
    IF IT HAS TWO WHEELS AND A HANDLEBAR...I,M IN!

cowbellchallenge
    Mar 2007
    interesting...
    Last edited by cowbellchallenge; 06-21-2009 at 05:04 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by single~minded
    My take,

It was a good event for me...the heat was off the scale! Humidity like I have never felt before...I thought I seen steam coming off the ground

Taylor did a very good job on The Marathon event, course was challenging for me, competition was tough and the rest went went very smoothly. Hats off to him for a great job

So for those that didn't race the Marathon.....well you missed out on a good challenge

Out
    I'll agree with Eric that the marathon was very well run and the course was awesome (although, those two climbs at the end were a bit much). The heat and a toasted hub kept me from finishing the full distance.

Two laps on the 8mi marathon course would have been a great Sport XC race.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnBikeNC
    I'll agree with Eric that the marathon was very well run and the course was awesome (although, those two climbs at the end were a bit much). The heat and a toasted hub kept me from finishing the full distance.

Two laps on the 8mi marathon course would have been a great Sport XC race.
    I am sure a lot of the things that went wrong were due to this being a new event and from everyone working so hard on the marathon event. I agree two laps on the marathon course would have been awesome which is what I am bummed about. Taylor made a really challenging course this year.. I raced the Oktoberfest race last year and he did an excellent job organizing and running it. I had a great time then.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    just to clear things up... i don't think the cat 2 18-29 race was "shortened" as some people think. i believe that the race organizers marked the course for the kids race ~4miles but did not differentiate for a cat 2 course. i did not get to race the super-rad rock garden section visible from parking -OR- the section (presumably, i still don't know where i was supposed to go) with the wooden skinny bridge in the woods. not to mention that many kids were asking spectators 'where do we go now?' since they had no idea. there were NO signs (ie "cat 2 go this way" -or- "kids go this way"). no course marshalls, minimal tape at intersections, and seemingly no planning. when i finished my race and told the race committee that i think the course was incorrect they assured me that i did the proper course. i told them if i did a 14 mile course in 45 minutes then my average speed was like 17mph. they did not even believe me. there did not seem to be any thought to what race numbers we were assigned. people in my class had 65, 47, 100-something, and in general it seems like other than connie (who was very very helpful) and bruce dickman (best announcer on the east coast) no one around the scoring tent seemed to care about anything. [i must say i never saw taylor. i was told he was out walking the course making sure things went well for the later races. his diligence is apparent.]

also to clarify... i'm discussing the cowbell xc cat 2 18-29 race that took place this morning at 9am. it sounds like the marathon race went very well and people are satisfied. perhaps cowbellchallenge should stick to putting on 12hour races with one and only one course, or remember to have his people properly mark the courses (plural) when there are different categories racing at the same time. color coded tape would have done the trick. or a brief description of the course on the start-line. or a map on his website... thankfully i now have the 4 mile kids course in my gps history...

on another side-note rant it seems odd that goneriding.com is able to charge ~$35 for a race, provide music, excellent timing/scoring, AND provide bananas, bagels and WATER for racers. todd branham must have helped with the water...

as mentioned before: contact dave or teri at goneriding.com or chris scott at mtntouring.com or george (from the hoo-ha) for info on how to put on excellent bike races. contact me to arrange my entry fee refund.

exhale.

mtbr member
    on another side-note rant it seems odd that goneriding.com is able to charge ~$35 for a race, provide music, excellent timing/scoring, AND provide bananas, bagels and WATER for racers. todd branham must have helped with the water...

as mentioned before: contact dave or teri at goneriding.com or chris scott at mtntouring.com or george (from the hoo-ha) for info on how to put on excellent bike races
    Well just to make things fair........ A couple of years ago a group of us traveled to tsali for a gonriding.com event and it was the worst run race I have ever been to. Results were messed up and the course was changed at the last minute causing rider problems,sound familiar???
    So please give it a break, things can happen to anyone who takes on the task of putting on a race!

BTW- no refund from goneriding.com
    IF IT HAS TWO WHEELS AND A HANDLEBAR...I,M IN!

Oct 2005
    Wow, that's got to be a bummer.

What did Cowbell post above?

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Ugh....I guess building trails in my backyard (Richmond Hill) in Asheville and drinking free beer all night was the right call!
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by IAMSPECIALIZED
    Well just to make things fair........ A couple of years ago a group of us traveled to tsali for a gonriding.com event and it was the worst run race I have ever been to. Results were messed up and the course was changed at the last minute causing rider problems,sound familiar???
    So please give it a break, things can happen to anyone who takes on the task of putting on a race!

BTW- no refund from goneriding.com
    i was going to give this a rest, but here goes...

1. every other race i've ever been to has multiple methods of keeping track of laps/results/times in case one method fails. yesterday there was only one person dealing with timing and if people wouldn't have protested the promoters would have no idea of who finished when/where. every other event i've been to has multiple people calling out/writing down racer's numbers as they roll through. results are messed up all the time. most promoters have a back-up method to straighten things out. these guys did not.

2. i've been to many events where the course was changed due to heat, mud, and these changes were announced on the start line. this instance does not reflect our course being changed. it reflects sending a cat 2 sport group out on a kids race course. nobody on our start line talked about 'at this fork turn left' or anything. there was tape across the trail leading to the rock sections. signs were left lying on the ground. this is different than changing the course at the last minute.

p.s. was your wife's bike a 2008 or 2009 specialized epic?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kkjellquist
    Ugh....I guess building trails in my backyard (Richmond Hill) in Asheville and drinking free beer all night was the right call!
    you had me at "free beer"
    http://www.hawleycompany.net/blog/
    Your LEAST favorite, insider's look at a bicycle distributor

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I dont know, i thought the race was well run both days. It didnt seem like the timing problems were any worse than average, and they were pretty good about changing the results. The Cat 1 XC race was the same course as the Marathon had been, so I guess they changed the course back for us. I really enjoyed the whole weekend.
    And they might not have had free water on Sunday, but they did have 2 kegs of free Highland for us. Free Beer > Free Water

Stop reading...go ride!!!

mmm

Well I had initially thought i would be the first to complain, but obviously someone beat me too it. Let me also say that I'm not one to ***** and moan about things like this unless they were REALLY bad......

Lilke most of you I've done my fair share of races over the past 10 years, as well as put on several, with many, many amazing events and a few not so great ones. This one falls to the later. I raced the marathon on Saturday but pulled out at 4 laps....heat/wreck etc....

A few things i couldn't believe... Bussing us into town was a fun cool idea, but for the love of GOD put some water at the start line! There were racers in town for over an hour prior to the start sitting on curbs left to fend with shop owners to let them fill up their bottles. Simple fix. Second. During the race for the love of GOD have water when you come through transition!! I came through on my second lap(i was self supported) and expected to see coolers set up with water....but no. Noone had a freaking clue where the water was, finally someone chimes in, " check by the registration"...sure nuff, off the course there was water. I was pissed. Such a simple solution to this problem. This is "how to put on a race 101". Unbelievable.

The XC event was fine for me, no real complaints there....until the podium. I got second in the SS class and was shocked to see that all i got for my efforts was a bag of choco pretzels? WTF? I'm not gonna name names, but I was not the only one shoked. NEVER have i seen sutch a thing, even at small races you get something!! You had how many sponsors for this race? Is it part of the KENDA cup???? Then throw in a tire, lever, tube something? But pretzels? Hell i'd take a strip of the course marking tape!!! Still can't believe that a race of this maganitude, and part of a National series gives our pretzels. I know we(mtn bikers) do it for the love of the sport, and i fall right in there, but pretzels? I wasn't expecting anything big, but something other than pretzels!!!!! Come on guys, get it right next time, please.

Did i mention....PRETZELS????????

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Actually, my only complaint from the marathon is that the water was all the way over there - makes no sense whatsoever. I had a hard time finding it after the race!

Oct 2005
    Hmmm...bag of pretzels???

Complain to the sponsors. They'll get to the bottom of it. Kenda sponsored them?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Well the factory Kenda Trailer was there selling tires and other accessories. Pretty cheap prices I might add. I picked up a Karma tire for 20 bucks.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Hmmm...bag of pretzels???

Complain to the sponsors. They'll get to the bottom of it. Kenda sponsored them?
    They were CHOCOLATE pretzels! What's to complain about? Whiners!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65
    They were CHOCOLATE pretzels! What's to complain about? Whiners!
    Except when you race Cat 1 and still the top three finishers got number plates rivited to a piece of plexi-glass... and oh yeah Chocolate Pretzels.

consistent default champ
    the Marathon went better. It was crazy hot. My duo only got 5 of our laps done so great job to the solo riders!!
    The single track was a lot of fun. I really should try to preride next year because the entire first section was new to me (did the endurance race last year but the course was different). We don't have skinnies, log piles or rock gardens at the park closest to my house so it was an adventure. Maybe not for a beginner racer? but the Cat 2 would have had fun.
    The field was awful. It was so hot and the sun left me weak as a kitten

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I ran in the XC3 Beginner race. Having ridden the course on Friday and Saturday, I still wasn't sure what I was supposed to be riding on Sunday. On Sat I followed all the Beginner marked trails, including the 3 climbs that I think were in the marathon course and it came to 6.5 miles. Then on Sunday morning I heard the cool technical section in the beginning was removed as well as one of the climbs. Found this out while the first waves were going off by another racer, not the organizers. When I was done with the race (Only 1 lap unfortunately) I had 5.2 miles registered. Other than that we went off smooth. Our results seemed accurate. At least our top 3 were. Only thing wrong was that our lap times were off, I surely didn't do a 12 minute lap, but at least the positions seemed right. We were told to follow the pink flags, but often you didn't see them until you were right on top of them. The had plenty of Marathon signs that were easily visible, I don't see why they couldn't have used more large beginnner signs.

One guy told me that they had a lot of signups on Sunday which might have caused a problem I suppose. This race was open for rregistration for many months though, at a discount as well. When I checked my class a few days before the, there were only 3 preregistered. I don't know why more people didn't preregister, especially with the discounts.

Staging was a little unorganized. I know there was an issue with not allowing people to cross the timing loop before the race started, so maybe that was part of the timing problems, but they didn't even bother to tape it off during staging, so a rider could accidentally cross and no one would even know. They got the order confused for the first wave and had to re-stage everyone, but that could happen at any event.

I do think the race was rather short. Pros only ran 3 laps, same as Cat1, and Cat 3 only got one lap, shortened at that. I know it was a little hot, but seriously, I've raced in hotter, longer, faster races in Florida in the summer. I don't think it was necessary to shorten it for heat if that was the case. I think there needed to be some more support for the organizers. I asked questions a few times and was constantly redirected to someone else who often didn't have the answer either. I know it's mainly volunteers out there so I won't blame them directly, but a little more planning and less improv if that was the case would have helped out. I know it's a Kenda Cup event, but short of having a trailer with tires at discount, they didn't seem to do much else to help run the show. I don't know what Sho-Air does other than be a title sponsor at these events, but the only participation I saw from them was the Podium and some signs. I'm sure they do more, but at least they weren't out there to show it.

The podium for the first wave was delayed because of the scoring issues, but unless we went and asked, we weren't updated on when the ceremonies would be. 2 hours later, they went off without much fanfare or annoucements and we really couldn't even hear who was being called.

Someone mentioned Gone Riding, and I'm not diectly bringing them up to bash or show up the Cowbell XC organizers, but they do seem to have gotten their act down pact. Races are usually organized and on schedule. There's two people that really have all the details of the event on race day. Ask them anything and they have an answer. They don't even use timing chips but results are very accurate. I've seen some protests, but it's often rider error/cheating related. Courses are marked very well by Saturday and the course layout is emphasized during the riders meeting, which we also didn't have at the Cowbell. Numbers are usually related to class which helps keep people in order. And numbers on legs helps so you know if you're passing or being passed by someone in your class or not. If it doesn't already exist, maybe there should be some US Cup Race Organization guidelines that event organizers need to follow. (IE, Timing and backup timing system, categorized racer numbers, contact personel, riders meetings...etc)

I know I've pointed some negative things out, but the event wasn't exactly some out of control event. Everyone started on time which was very nice. Maybe there was some botched timing for some classes but everyone was very nice and they genuinely seemed to be trying their best. Maybe they ran into problems they hadn't seen before. But being a US Cup event, many people I'm sure people had higher expectations and perhaps that wasn't fully considered. The course would have been perfect if it was marked better and the town seemed to be welcoming to visitors. I stayed in Charlotte so I don't know how Davidson was, but everyone was pleasant at the pre-race pickup hotel. With a little bit of better excecution on race day, I don't see why this race couldn't happen again for the US Cup. I mean if they got it right in a 6 hour marathon race. A XC day should be just as manageable. I know no one here knows the full story other than the organizers anyways. So lets hear what they have to say before we blame them completely.

banned
    Pretzels???? Are you kidding me!!!! We mtn bikers do ride for the pure fun of it and for the love of the sport. People like hardware, People like to get trophy's and swag. I have spent thousands of dollars on several different sports and if I got a gold colored $2.50cent trophy I at least had something to show for my effort. I got a minature cowbell last year and I thought that was great but Pretzels?!?!!!! So glad I went to the lake instead.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Trophies are a Plastic US Cup Number plate with your podium place and location of the event which is actually pretty sweet. In addition to the pretzels...I didn't really have a problem with the awards. For my $15 I got a US Cup shirt and bottle too. Add the Trophy and a cool number plate for my memories and I'm good with all that.
    Last edited by gonzoy5; 06-22-2009 at 06:04 PM.

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Part of the reason I skipped the event was the poor prizes for 2008....Coed Duo winners won a pair of arm warmers and a handshake if I recall. This event is quickly getting a poor reputation around these parts.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by single~minded
    I learned a long time ago.......bring your own and park it beside the course/pit/wherever. It does not happen often....but when it does
    I def had all my own stuff in our pit, I was just looking for more after the race. It woulda been nice to have the water on the course to stick your head under coming through - although what's his name announcer guy did dump one bottle on my head which was awesome!

banned

your just still sore....

Quote Originally Posted by motobutane
    Pretzels???? Are you kidding me!!!! We mtn bikers do ride for the pure fun of it and for the love of the sport. People like hardware, People like to get trophy's and swag. I have spent thousands of dollars on several different sports and if I got a gold colored $2.50cent trophy I at least had something to show for my effort. I got a minature cowbell last year and I thought that was great but Pretzels?!?!!!! So glad I went to the lake instead.
    about me getting that saaweeet coozy when we split the schwag up last year.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    i think i'd rather get nothing than a bag of pretzels. that sounds more like an insult than anything else, especially given the entry fee for the xc race.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I did the Cat 2 u29 race, and I think it makes a lot more sense knowing that we ran the kids course. I was wondering why half our race was in a grass field and the woods were lacking any technical features.

Oh I originally got 4, and then later 7. I guess that sort of explains the mob of people at the scoring tent.
    Last edited by AaronFPeet; 06-22-2009 at 06:08 PM.

Jun 2009

If You Think You Can Direct a Race-Step Up to The Plate

For all of those who rode the XC Race on Sunday that was lookin' for more miles, why didn't you show up on Saturday for the Marathon race? There were you're miles...or was the heat too much for you? Those who are whining about this race can probably be found whining about previous races. There's just no pleasing you guys is there?! Why don't you get off your lazy a**( and put on a race that has "no errors in timing ever, has water stops at every turn because "self-supporting" doesn't mean "supporting yourself anymore", having just the right amount of miles and obstacles that is pleasing just to you and not considering the other hundred of racers that came to race. Can anyone say "whiners" and "self-centered" as()hol*))(sssss???? Spend it at the lake, more trail for me to ride whithout you getting in my way! I rode in the Marathon race on Saturday. Obstacles were great! Heat sucked! Race director couldn't control that...or do you think he could?!!! ShowAir you mention?....I didn't see anyone or any sh-t from them. Where were the local shop sponsors?! I saw only Cycle Path owner Mark. He did a lot to help the race and the race promotor. I guess the question should be asked of the shops in Charlotte...where the fu-k were you?! That's probably the reason you're whining about your plastic award and chocolate pretzels...whine to the local shop owners!

mtbr member
    Nice first post, welcome to the forum

Whether it's hard or easy to run a race isn't the point - WHEN you run a race people will expect to get their money's worth. And it seems one of the main complaints was that people expected the miles on Sunday and paid for the miles on Sunday. Since the promoter sold the miles on Sunday he pretty much needs to deliver the miles on Sunday.

And one other thing, this is the SC/NC forum, none of us yokels are taken up valuable trail space on your fave trail in Jersey anyway
    many gears, some pies

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly6
    ShowAir you mention?....I didn't see anyone or any sh-t from them. Where were the local shop sponsors?! I saw only Cycle Path owner Mark. He did a lot to help the race and the race promotor. I guess the question should be asked of the shops in Charlotte...where the fu-k were you?!
    This part of your rant is probably the most accurate. I popped into a Charlotte shop on Saturday for a last minute purchase and they had no clue what I was talking about racing until I gave them more details, then it was like "ohhh yeah i heard about that" There were some tents out there on Sunday that looked shop related, but they didn't seem to be out promoting or supporting.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Here's a pic of the trophy, it's really not bad.

Jun 2009
    Thanks! I've assisted directing a race...hard work...critics come out of the woods. Everyone has their own definition of "money's worth". My opinion...the miles and Obstacles were delivered. My hat goes off to the Cowbell Challenge race director! Ah shucks, geez...I did read it was the SC/NC forum...I am a "local yokel" ...truly from the Charlotte area dealing with the "local yokel political bul-sh--!! Trails in Jersey were not made for the "locals" here not enough miles and too technical.

Jun 2009
    No clue about the race...that would be the "local yokel" Charlotte Mtn. bike political bul-sh)()(*! It's all about kissing the right person's ego! Bet those trails at Fisher Farm were quite challenging for a rider of the Florida Santos trails?! Seriously, the Santos are awesome!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    There were issues sure, but not enough for all this *****ing. More swag could have made it's way around if he had gouged the Cat3's like everyone else does. I for one really appreciated that our entry fee was representative of our race for a change. Usually after gas, food, and entry a beginner is getting nailed for 70-100.00 for 30 mins. of racing.

I had a hard time navigating the course & downed signs too. I lost a podium due to a wrong turn, but I don't give a damn. I had a great time and really appreciate that the race was put on. I'm sure it will be better next year and I'll be there. As an aside, getting new UST skins for my trail bike for 20 bucks was great too. God knows what it would look like if I tried my hand at promoting...

Jun 2009
    Agreed! Jim from Kenda was working hard at that race...unbelievable prices! Entry fees for CC were definitely reasonable. From what I understand, the money after expenses was going to the Davidson Parks & Rec Youth Group. Considered unethical in the "local yokel" scene...

endlessgirl

... and if we just ... Wow!

It's really interesting reading everyones thoughts on the weekend... I had a super time! It was hot, really really hot. I raced the Marathon SS on Saturday and the XC SS on Sunday. I finished the marathon on Saturday and let me tell you, the heat made it really really hard. I persevered and enjoyed racing with some fun folks. Maybe I don't take this as seriously as some, but I'm in it for the fun for sure. I love lining up with my fellow SS'ers. I feel like the jokers of the MTB community (fast and funny) and I love it. If you can't laugh at yourself...

The promoters and all of the folks putting on the event were super helpful with any questions I had and Bruce Dickman really rocked it out with the bottles of ice water on heads between laps both days. I just tried to keep it in perspective that everyone was hanging in the same heat, some of us were paying to race and others were volunteering their time and energy on Father's Day weekend so we could challenge ourselves (to the max for me) and hanging in the same heat.

I'm glad I came out to race for the entire weekend, but i wouldn't drive 2 hours to race one day when there is the option of two. For one it's a hassle to borrow or rent a car just for one day and for two, that's a long way to be in a stupid car (I hate them). Too bad for the folks that had the shortened laps on Sunday cause the whole course was really fun. Do something constructive with your energies and talk directly to the promoters or offer to volunteer your time for the next event.

As far as prizes and entry fee go, I was absolutely stoked to get a Cowbell on Saturday along with a check and a bottle of Barley Wine for the women's SS class. If the "Kenda Cup" prizes don't make you happy, then don't soil the name of the Cowbell Challenge cause that race and those prizes were awesome! I believe that the leftovers from the fees on Saturday and maybe Sunday too benefited the Town of Davidson's Recreation & Parks Youth Scholarship Fund, and parks and trails improvements. At least that's what the website said. Sounds like a good thing to me. The weekend was worth my time and every last bit of my energy which was what the weekend took.

I'm not trying to criticize anyones thoughts or feelings, I'm just trying to share my experience and offer you another perspective... Until next time...happy riding and don't forget to smile!

banned
    Mar 2004

Constructive critisizm (spelling?)

Well I start off with...This was a great weekend and happy we got the Town of Davidson more involved, especially with the Marathon start in town. (BTW this took a lot of back and forth with the town and P&R and was not an easy thing to come by.) I was actually there as a sponsor shop doing neutral tech support both days and for my team as well on Saturday. I was also there to support the trail as I am the Tarheel Trailblazer trail designer/coordinator for Fisher Farm Park. What you didn't see was me all last week from Sunday til Friday out in the woods clearing mud and drainage for the single track. We had a lot of rain early in the week and I thought the trail was going to be a wreck. It was muddy for a little while but with the heat, firmed up really well later in the day and on Sunday. Did anyone mention it was hot and humid?!?! Yes, there were some timing issues on Sunday but most if not all were handled in a timely fashion. Give the timing dude a little credit.
    As far as support and water and such...I really had the impression that mountain bikers were the self supporting type and I still do. Please don't turn this sport into the Tour De Farce. The whole idea of these races is to create a festival, (you know...camping, music, everyone helping everyone else out) grassroots type of atmosphere.

If you have any complaints about either day's events they would be better served addressing them directly to the promoter in a "constructive" manner. Not in the confrontational "I'm a premadona, your event sucked eggs, WTF is this crap?!" way that seems so prevalent on internet forums.

Anyway...hope the rest of ya had good time at the 'Farm and we'll see you next year!

PS With an additional 1.25 miles of single track...

banned

I guess you won yours, congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by endlessbikegirl
    It's really interesting reading everyones thoughts on the weekend... I had a super time! It was hot, really really hot. I raced the Marathon SS on Saturday and the XC SS on Sunday. I finished the marathon on Saturday and let me tell you, the heat made it really really hard. I persevered and enjoyed racing with some fun folks. Maybe I don't take this as seriously as some, but I'm in it for the fun for sure. I love lining up with my fellow SS'ers. I feel like the jokers of the MTB community (fast and funny) and I love it. If you can't laugh at yourself...

The promoters and all of the folks putting on the event were super helpful with any questions I had and Bruce Dickman really rocked it out with the bottles of ice water on heads between laps both days. I just tried to keep it in perspective that everyone was hanging in the same heat, some of us were paying to race and others were volunteering their time and energy on Father's Day weekend so we could challenge ourselves (to the max for me) and hanging in the same heat.

I'm glad I came out to race for the entire weekend, but i wouldn't drive 2 hours to race one day when there is the option of two. For one it's a hassle to borrow or rent a car just for one day and for two, that's a long way to be in a stupid car (I hate them). Too bad for the folks that had the shortened laps on Sunday cause the whole course was really fun. Do something constructive with your energies and talk directly to the promoters or offer to volunteer your time for the next event.

As far as prizes and entry fee go, I was absolutely stoked to get a Cowbell on Saturday along with a check and a bottle of Barley Wine for the women's SS class. If the "Kenda Cup" prizes don't make you happy, then don't soil the name of the Cowbell Challenge cause that race and those prizes were awesome! I believe that the leftovers from the fees on Saturday and maybe Sunday too benefited the Town of Davidson's Recreation & Parks Youth Scholarship Fund, and parks and trails improvements. At least that's what the website said. Sounds like a good thing to me. The weekend was worth my time and every last bit of my energy which was what the weekend took.

I'm not trying to criticize anyones thoughts or feelings, I'm just trying to share my experience and offer you another perspective... Until next time...happy riding and don't forget to smile!
    How did Marshall do?

endlessgirl
    Marshall didn't race on Saturday cause he was busy being my awesome pit crew. He seemed ok with his performance racing SS with the Pro's on Sunday. I thought he did great! Here are links to both day's results.
    http://www.mylaps.com/results/showru...382&perclass=1 and http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=436231

banned

the way I'm reading the sunday results...

Marshall didn't race on Saturday cause he was busy being my awesome pit crew. He seemed ok with his performance racing SS with the Pro's on Sunday. I thought he did great! Here are links to both day's results.
    http://www.mylaps.com/results/showru...382&perclass=1 and http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=436231
    is that you were the only SS female in the race and you got 3rd! Way to represent Ashe-vegas!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbikernc69
    With an additional 1.25 miles of single track...
    Awesome.

Overall, I had an great time, and I'm sorry for everyone who didn't hang around for the whole day. That was my first cross country experience and I was originally worried about having to hang out with a field full of folks who wear their heart rate monitors to the bathroom. Almost everyone was super friendly and a blast to chill with.

But I certainly wouldn't mind some more single track. Who would?

banned
    First I just want to take this time to thank Josephgrimes for starting such a good thread
    other than having a fine irish name he's got mad dirt skills.
    Second starting the marathon course in town and riding on pavement was stupid,What was the point of this ??
    Third I think attendance was down from last year because of the format change and next year ??

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Overall, I think the weekend was a lot of fun. Our suite at the Homestead was very nice. The movie was cool - can't wait to watch my own copy. I liked the preztels - they were very good, a friend shared hers, and they were donated by a local Davidson chocolatier. I stopped into their shop before leaving town - the Ice Tea milk chocolate truffle, weird as it sounded, was fantastic!!!

But, yeah, placing cat 1 SS deserves more recognition and reward than plaques and pretzels. In my opinion, all SS'ers, regardless of placement, deserve a free psych eval with every race!

I guess the problem was the "fun ride", which started after the 1st wave of cats 2 & 3, and had 2.5miles shaved off the loop. If you were a fast 2, you started your second 6.5m lap before the fun riders. If you were a slower 2, you came into your second lap after they had altered the course for the 4m fun ride. So, at the end of the race, you had some slower 2's racing 10.5miles and getting better times than the faster 2's racing 13miles. You also had some real slow cat 2's doing their second lap on the pro/1 course for 14.5miles total.

That should have never be allowed to happen - no matter how good/bad schwag and entry fees may be or water available or pretzels melted or whatever. The promotors have to ensure consistent distance across race categories, especially in a national event, in order to maintain integrity of rankings.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    gotta clear some things up:

1. taylor and i talked monday morning and he told me his race was going to benefit a davidson kids camp NOT his bank account. for this, i'm sorry i asked for a refund. taylor and i exchanged emails before the event and he told me he could give a discount for a team of 4+ riders. we signed up for his event with a discount since he offered but now i wish i'd paid full price. i wouldn't have thought about a discount if i knew profits were going to kids rather than the promoters pocket. i came home and started this thread because i did not want an unorganized race to go unnoticed when i thought he was raking in profit from it. again, money going to a kids camp is a good cause and i hope taylor can at least break even.

2. taylor told me that the cat 2 race course was shortened NOT marked incorrectly as i previously thought. he said we were supposed to race 2 4mi laps and that 8 miles was our total distance. he said bruce dickman was announcing wrong information on the start line (i don't believe this, but thats besides the point. he's a rad announcer) and that was why we didn't hear about the change. i am pretty sure some spectators corrected the announcer that taylor had though and that it was NEVER announced that there was a change or that we would NOT be racing 12 or 14 miles.

3. i will go back to the cowbell in 2010 provided it happens because i know that taylor is a very hard-working guy and i did not intend to 'trash-talk' him or slander his efforts. i heard great things about the marathon and his past 12hour events and i am just disappointed that my cat 2 race was the one that was botched. can you imagine seeing your name at the top of the results page and having to go protest your own win?!? the scoring/timing and "course change without announcing it" was inexcusable, but overall taylor sullivan's efforts were big and i know his time spent was great. oh, and i liked the pretzels, cat 2 awards generally ONLY include the rad plastic kenda cup trophy so pretzels were a bonus for me.

jg

banned
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by motobutane
    ...Second starting the marathon course in town and riding on pavement was stupid,What was the point of this ??
    The point was to have the Town of Davidson (who was one of the sponsors) more involved with the race. And to give the race more visibility. Fisher Farm Park is about ~3 miles from downtown Davidson. Last year hardly anyone in town knew there was a race going on. Davidson is a community that likes to be involved. And it's very bike friendly, compared to the other neighboring towns and Charlotte. And it was to change things up a little. Kinda like making a road crit start on a gravel road....Hey....that's a great idea!!!

JosephGrimes...thank you for your last post. That took guts and a little eating of crow to post that. Well done, sir. Hope to see you next year.

BTW Part of the profit's will also go to the www.tarheeltrailblazers.com to help with trail maintenance.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks for posting the information. Its good to know our money is going to a good cause. I too hope this race happens again next year. Hopefully I can do both events next time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    For all of those who rode the XC Race on Sunday that was lookin' for more miles, why didn't you show up on Saturday for the Marathon race? There were you're miles...or was the heat too much for you?
    Maybe some people work on Saturday? Just a thought.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    no, that would be Sunday that people don't work.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    right...reading comprehension ftw!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    yeah, well it sounded funny in my head as I was typing it. I'm still recovering from the heat down there...

mtbr member
    I agree the paved start adds variety. We're planning on having similar events in Asheville using the Mellowdrome, a greenway, flat roads, and one killer road climb to get to the new Richmond Hill trails.

Mike

eschewing obfuscation

marshall certainly made a fine pit crew chief (and impressed by beating some pros on their geared bikes on sunday) and shanna represented ashevegas, singlespeeders, endless bike co., smiling people, etc. quite well indeed! nice job you two!
    "Bikes have wheels." -Noam Chomsky

Members who have read this thread: 0