Couple questions about Clemson/Issaqueena- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Couple questions about Clemson/Issaqueena

1st question is what's status currently on the freeride/DS stuff? Is it still running? I did the DH races there in 2006-2009ish and am itching to get back on some of that stuff.

2nd question is about the XC trails at Issaqueena. Are they maintained pretty well? I am abt an hour and a half away and looking at some winter riding options to get out of the mountains a bit for a change of pace and get some warmer temps. I've never ridden there, looking specifically at these loops....thoughts?

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7011469
    https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7011960

thx!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    1st question is what's status currently on the freeride/DS stuff? Is it still running? I did the DH races there in 2006-2009ish and am itching to get back on some of that stuff.

2nd question is about the XC trails at Issaqueena. Are they maintained pretty well? I am abt an hour and a half away and looking at some winter riding options to get out of the mountains a bit for a change of pace and get some warmer temps. I've never ridden there, looking specifically at these loops....thoughts?

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7011469
    https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7011960

thx!
    These are my 'home' trails, if you will. I'm 30 minutes from there. Yes, they are well maintained. They drain fairly well, and technically never close. All single-track trails are good old-school hand scratched trail; no machine builds here. Recently ALL trails have been marked with labeled Carsonite markers. Navigation has never been easier. And if you recall, NOTHING was marked back then. As far as the DH stuff, most non-dirt features were torn down at the direction of CU lawyers. Too much risk of lawsuits if someone got injured... blah blah. So the wall is still there, and there are a few rollers, table-tops, a gap jump, and a few launches/drops.

Personally, I think these trails don't get enough credit. There's over 60 miles of trail. And it varies depending on what area you ride. More gnar on the north side, flat and fast in the middle, and tight, twisty, and undulating on the south end.

This place will get you a better workout than Dupont or Pisgah in my opinion. I can easily ride 30-35 miles in both of those, but I have trouble hitting that many miles in Issaqueena without burning out.

Definitely worth adding to your winter riding list. You can spend a whole day there.

PM me when you plan to head down. I can probably join and be your guide if you want.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    That first route on MTB Project misses some good stuff, in my opinion. Could be better. Plus, it includes a creek crossing on Rapids trail, which you want to avoid in Winter. No way around getting wet feet.

The second route I added, and is tough. I'm biased of course, but that is all the stuff on the south side. That is one of the more difficult routes in the whole forest.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Issaqueena and twin lakes used to be fantastic. I need to head back sometime soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by krispy addiction View Post
    Issaqueena and twin lakes used to be fantastic. I need to head back sometime soon.
    Twin Lakes? Is this the same as Fant's Grove?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Great info Tim. Good to hear it's maintained. I'll have to head down soon. Nice!

mtbr member
    Parents live in Seneca, ride Isaqueena several times each year. Agree great trails, although I do not agree that 30 miles there is equal to 30 miles in the mountains.

Tim, that's really interesting that all the trails are signed. So, all those trails heading South off the fireroad from main parking area are signed clearly now with a map that matches? That was the only place I'd still get confused, also agree with you those are some really fine trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    Parents live in Seneca, ride Isaqueena several times each year. Agree great trails, although I do not agree that 30 miles there is equal to 30 miles in the mountains.

Tim, that's really interesting that all the trails are signed. So, all those trails heading South off the fireroad from main parking area are signed clearly now with a map that matches? That was the only place I'd still get confused, also agree with you those are some really fine trails.
    Yes, all trail intersections are signed, including those. No map yet. Working on this with another volunteer. Using OSM to make a PDF map that can be used in Avenza PDF Maps for free. Everything is on MTB Project, however, so that is available until PDF map gets finished.

mtbr member
    All of the trails are in good shape but there are a lot of trees still down since Irma. DH course has two trees down as of 2 weeks ago when I last rode it, one of them in the middle of a very fun section. Your link to 20 miles of N. Issy has a lot of good stuff, I used to mix it up a lot but lately I've been in a rut and mostly riding Dam->Pine Tree->Rocky then up Dalton Rd. to Wounded Knee or Chainbreaker coming back on Lawrence. Can't really go wrong, lots of good trails.