Coming Soon- New Trails at Western- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Coming Soon- New Trails at Western

WCU is getting over 6 miles of new mountain bike legal trail on campus lands and this will be open to the public. TD will finish our work in the coming weeks and volunteer is doing finish work behind the machines. All work should be complete and the trails will be ready to ride in spring 2013. The project was funded by RTP funds and a grant from Specialized.

For info on how to help: Western Carolina University - WCU Trail System Info

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Looking forward to seeing this completed. It will be nice to have something to ride less than ten minutes from my work! Wish I could make some of the workdays but my schedule won't allow it. Thanks for the update Woodman.

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Yup, my son's been up there doing some of the volunteer work alongside TDs' peeps. I keep hearing good things and can't wait to try it out. It'll be nice having another trail up that way to make a wknd outta Flint Ridge, Tsali and now WCU.
    Pisgah Forest NC

mtbr member
    Anyone know how much trail is finished? Are there any full loops finished? Thx.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by swoodbrn View Post
    Anyone know how much trail is finished? Are there any full loops finished? Thx.

None of the trails are finsihed as of yet and open to the public. There will be 2 loops, stacked of course. Machine work will crank back up in a week or two, and hopefully volunteer efforts working behind in an efficient manner. I would however not expect the full trail to open until early spring. The project manager Josh W. recently visited Rocky Knob Park and now really wants a skills area.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Nice write-up in local paper about new trails:
    Sweet single-track coming to WCU

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Cool!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Update

TD has now finished all the machine work, and volunteers will be working hard on finish work. Western has scheduled a grand opening of the new trail system for late Feb. weather dependent.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Coming Soon- New Trails at Western-wcu-grand-opening.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Finally, the weather and my schedule cooperated and I was able to try these trails for the first time. Pretty fun, fairly narrow tread with lots of rolling pump-trackish jump sections and some tight-handling sections through the trees. I was honestly surprised by the amount of climbing. Nothing long/sustained but more than I was expecting. Gonna really enjoy having this place to get some weekday rides in. Thanks to all who made it happen!

mtbr member
    Very cool! While I was at Western, I really didn't take advantage of the great outdoor resources of the area. I wish I had!
    Last edited by rob1035; 03-21-2013 at 11:17 AM.

mtbr member
    I rode all of these trails yesterday and just wanted to say, they are awesome! With one out and back on the yellow trail and doing the blue-red loop in both directions, 12.5 miles of riding, good climbing, fun descents, lots of bermed switchbacks and a few trail features. Trail features include at least 3 spots you can double small jumps, a couple 2 foot drops, and some quick little rock booters- nice! Beautiful woods too.

Great work by Trail Dynamics- kind of like the best parts of Mine Mountain or Laurel at DuPont, actually made me think of Douthat, which is quite a compliment.

I love Pisgah
    Agree. Fun trails. Lots of climbing, so bring your legs.
    "I've breathed the mtn air, man" Johnny Cash

It's a long way to the top
    . . . if you wanna rock and roll (ac/dc)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Vety nice trail system, alotta fun to ride.

Members who have read this thread: 0