Coming to Huntersville NC- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Coming to Huntersville NC

Coming to Huntersville NC 10/8-10/15. Doing the 6 hour grind. What else should I ride while in the area? Nothing to technical please. I am a relative beginner at this.
    Is the National White Water Center worth a ride?

mtbr member
    I would say beech springs (poplar tent)..but its pretty rough..meaning no one is keeping that place up..which is a shame..I love that trail...I like stuff like that but thats me,,,I would say the whitewater center cause its got its easier parts.
    We Can't Stop Here...This Is Bat Country.
    Out Of Step.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Poplar tent closes for good on oct 1.

I'd recommend the us national whitewater center too. Easy to get to from huntersville, a cool hangout spot (think outdoor enthusiast theme park), and +/- 22 mi of intermediate trails. You can pick and choose loops to make quick trip if needed or do them all for good cardio and varied route.
    Last edited by pagan696; 09-25-2012 at 07:22 PM.

mtbr member
    oh no...that is a shame to hear about PT...that was one of my favorite places to ride.
    We Can't Stop Here...This Is Bat Country.
    Out Of Step.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    If you're in Huntersville there are several trails worthwhile riding. Lake Norman State Park is currently at 23 miles of trail. Fair smooth and flowy with a fair amount of climbing. More beginner friendly than the USNWC. If you want something shorter with lot's of different terrain mixed in there's Fisher Farm Park in Davidson. It's a little over 5 miles long with several loops to mix and match as you like.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Lake Norman, specifically Monbo and Laurel Loops, should be first on your list. WWC is worth the trip too.
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Engineer View Post
    If you're in Huntersville there are several trails worthwhile riding. Lake Norman State Park is currently at 23 miles of trail. Fair smooth and flowy with a fair amount of climbing. More beginner friendly than the USNWC. If you want something shorter with lot's of different terrain mixed in there's Fisher Farm Park in Davidson. It's a little over 5 miles long with several loops to mix and match as you like.
    I would second this. The monbo and laurel loops are great at Lake Norman State Park. If you have the time, I would still venture to USNWC. Still some great trails and you can ride a vareity of trail. Not to mention ending the ride with a nice frosty beverage at the bar there.

mtbr member
    Thanks guy's. I will be bringing my Trek Superfly 100 and my recently built 9-0-7 fat bike. Hope to do some trail riding on the fatty and am racing the 6 hour grind on the Superfly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Coming to Huntersville NC-trek-superfly-100-1.jpg  

Coming to Huntersville NC-fat-bike-build-28.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    that fatbike is cool

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    That fatbike would be a blast at Fisher! Rode a Pugsley out there earlier in the year and felt like I just started riding again!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Engineer View Post
    That fatbike would be a blast at Fisher! Rode a Pugsley out there earlier in the year and felt like I just started riding again!
    I rode my Fatty at Fisher today. Did the green and blue trails a couple of times. Third time on the fatty. First time any thing technical at all. It took a turn around to get how the bike handles then I pushed it a little faster. Had lots of fun. These fat bikes are not slow!

mtbr member
    Rode my 29er on the 6 hour grind course today. Very beautiful place but to much for me to race at this point in my mnt bike career. I crawled through at a snails pace. Maybe next year.

mtbr member
    Just rode half the trails at the Whitewater Center on my fat bike. Very cool. I will be going back there again this week. You have an incredible assortment of trails to riide down here. You guy's are very fortunate.

mtbr member
    Just rode most of the trails at Lake Norman State Park on my fat bike again. Laurel trail was the best. Lots of nice surprises around the corners. Again you guy's have it made down here with the trail systems you have at your disposal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Glad you enjoyed your time in the Charlotte area. We do have a great network of trails and a great local club that keeps them that way. Come back again!
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LBIkid View Post
    Glad you enjoyed your time in the Charlotte area. We do have a great network of trails and a great local club that keeps them that way. Come back again!
    Already planing another trip down. Maybe January or February. How are the trails down here then?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gcappy View Post
    Already planing another trip down. Maybe January or February. How are the trails down here then?
    Depends on two things: 1. How much precipitation we've had 2. How cold it is.

Those months the trails take a long time to dry with any appreciable amount of rain/snow. Plus the freeze/thaw cycle that slows the drying process even more. Best bet is to ride when it's well below freezing like first thing in the morning. Frozen trail is better than peanut butter!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Im surprised no one mentioned Sherman Branch! Its my favorite so far. I am a relatively new mtb rider although I do have 10+ years of ATV/Dirtbike riding/mx racing under my belt.

My favorite places around here so far are:
    1. Sherman Branch - Fast, flowy, lots of little jumps, not very technical. Roller Coaster loop is fun! The perfect amount of everything.
    2. Fisher Farm - A little bit of everything, really like the fast flowy first part, really keeps you on your toes.
    3. Lake Norman - Rapidly moving up my list of favorites. Fairly easy and can get some major downhill speed on sections of Monbo Loop. Laurel is a great all round loop as well.
    4. White Water Center - Great all round riding area with easy as well as some slightly more technical but still not that hard.
    5. Poplar Tent - Great technical course but sadly it closed down as noted.
    6. North Meck - Fun, short, easy, great for after work ride.

Nice bikes! A friend has the Superfly also and loves it. Makes me not wanna ride mine after riding his haha.

Members who have read this thread: 0