coming down from the north, what should i ride etc.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. coming down from the north, what should i ride etc.

hey ya'll me and the lady friend are planning a trip to your humble domain in early to mid april either the 2 nd to 9th or 10 th to 17th, ive drive to raleigh before from toronto ontraio to see the maple leafs beat the canes, was wondering were the best info was and what should i ride, im driving down so i figured from experience on this board that i would hit up Pisgah and dupont for the 4 to 5 days im down there.

any suggestions on what to ride, basic trail rider skills, should i bring my trail bike or my hardtail?
    any cheep hotel accomidations located in the area, anyone want a free night of drinking on me if they show me some good trails

whats the weather usually like in early april, sorry but im prety ignorant on the facts of NC in the spring. any help would be great thatnks for your time.
    STEVE

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Quote Originally Posted by maynard
    hey ya'll me and the lady friend are planning a trip to your humble domain in early to mid april either the 2 nd to 9th or 10 th to 17th, ive drive to raleigh before from toronto ontraio to see the maple leafs beat the canes, was wondering were the best info was and what should i ride, im driving down so i figured from experience on this board that i would hit up Pisgah and dupont for the 4 to 5 days im down there.

any suggestions on what to ride, basic trail rider skills, should i bring my trail bike or my hardtail?
    any cheep hotel accomidations located in the area, anyone want a free night of drinking on me if they show me some good trails

whats the weather usually like in early april, sorry but im prety ignorant on the facts of NC in the spring. any help would be great thatnks for your time.
    STEVE
    This all depends on how far you want to ride and how technical you want to go. For rides of 10-15 miles in length visit www.mtbikewnc.com . This site has most of of the trails in the Dupont and Pisgah area listed. For rides of Epic proportions ( 20-60 miles of trail) then visit my new sit at www.wncmountaingoatepics.com . This site was designed with the experienced endurance rider in mind who wanted to do rides above and beyond what the average mountain biker does.

Jeremy

mtbr member
    The average high temp for April 1st in Asheville, NC is 63 degrees F and the average low is 40 degrees F. By April 17th the average high has increased to 67 degrees and the average low to 56 degrees. April is usually wonderful in the NC mountains. More detail can be found at www.weather.com and entering Asheville, NC as the city location. mountaingoatepics recommended the best sites for trail information for western NC. The "best trail" section of www.mtbikewnc.com is a good bet for finding great non-epic trails in the area. This is a tourist area, so there are lots of good, cheap hotels. Try to stay near downtown Asheville. The downtown section is loaded with good bars and restaurants. Barley's Tavern has a huge selection of draft beer and great pizza. The only non-epic trial I would add to the best ride list is Kitsuma near Black Mountain. It is reviewed on this site (Spelled incorrectly on this site as Kitzuma). Jordan, the web master at mtbikewnc.com just has not ridden Kitsuma yet. The staff at the Epic Cycle in Black Mountain can help you get to the trailhead. The group from Epic Cycle rides Kitsuma, or another local trail every Wednesday night starting at around 6:00 PM. It is a great fun group and there is drinking involved after the ride. Black Mountain is about 20 miles east of Asheville on I-40. Another bike shop that can be of help to you is Carolina Fatz. They are located near the Bent Creek trails. Ashevlle lost their hockey team 2 years ago. We have to travel to Charlotte or Raleigh to see hockey, but the MTB trails are super.

mtbr member

be glad to show you around..

Another Canuck is staying in Asheville until May ( mountRealrider)--from Quebec.
    We have developed a good friendship from several years ago when he came down and i showed him a few rides and he just keeps coming back.
    The trail bike would be preferable i think over the hard tail but it doesnt really matter. I ride a big squishy, a freeride rigid??, and a stock trials bike set up as a hardtail??, all are bizzarre bikes but they are fun, so whatever you wanna ride is great.
    em me before you get here and i`ll hook up with you
    [email protected]
    i climb slow, descend decently, do tech stuff ok and hardly ever run out of gas...
    50 yr old endurance
    when you get to the age that the kiddies are all faster, then you just ride longer until they all fall away.....

mtbr member
    I understand you having to drive all the way to NC to see the Leafs beat the Canes. Since you're 0-2 at home this year against us. Of course we're 0-2 at home against you. In case you haven't guessed I'm a Canes fan and season ticket holder.

Anyways, I would recommend the full squish trail bike for anything in Pisgah. Not that you can't ride the hardtail, but the long downhills are much better with more suspension. It's not like anything like you're riding around Toronto in the NC mountains. I took my bike on vacation to Toronto and Algonquin a couple of summers ago and got about five days of riding in. Pretty cool riding from my hotel in downtown Toronto past the old Maple Leaf Gardens to the trails along the Don(?) River. The bandit singletrack, not the paved bike path along the river and lakefront. Also rode a private park on the way to Algonquin and the trails in Canisbay campground at Algonquin. That riding was all similar to what we have around Raleigh, but the mountains are another thing entirely. Better of course.

Next year if you plan on coming down to see some hockey let me know and maybe we can hook up for some riding as well. I'll be glad to show you some of the finest riding in NC outside of the mountains. Might even treat you to two seats in the lower bowl if you give me enough notice before my two extra tickets are spoken for by one of my employees.

I love Pisgah
    Me me me me me me...I wanna go do "The Ridge" again. Best ride I've been on so far. Remember before "Fran-swaw" goes home...lets go man.

And you wouldn't ride my fox forked HT last time too. Tsk tsk...

mtbr member

Good job! i'll definatly have to take you up on the offer...........

i dont know the exact date were coming down, i wanted to go down for 2 weeks, butthe lady friend wants to go to cuba, we only have 20 days between the end of school and finals and since this was our last year we figured we'd blow all our loans and tax returns on something other than beer and bike parts. i will email you when i know the dates, neither of us have ridden since december due to the milliion feet of snow on the ground and the friged temps. , but we'll try to get in shape for the trip, thanks for yuour time.
    STEVE, email me if you want with any other details [email protected]
    This pick is from this morning 2C and mudddddddyyyyyyyyyyyy, with the windchll prbably minus 10C, i HATE COLD.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Good job! THanks BILL SEE ...................

when we went to see the leafs beet your beloved canes it was quit possibly the loudest and best arena i have ever been in, i dont know if you guys re-do the crowd noise through the speakers but the energy especially during warm up was something that only happens when we play the habs or senators, and even then not half as loud. depending on my schooling situation i will most likely be coming down before xmas next year, if the trails, riding and people are as good as eveyone says it is in NC, to bad you didnt have a chiropractic college there and i would have applied and stayed in shape all winter.
    i dont know the exact date were coming i'll keep you posted and thanks for the info, if your ever up here and dont mind missing the first 10 minutes of the first period (its the only way you can get tickets at a reasonable price from scalpers), let me know and we'll hook up to do a leaf game. thanks for the info i'll post again when i know what date were coming down for, any recomeded hotels to stay at, were cheep/poor students so were spending our tax returns and OSAP (loans) on the trip so i cant go to overboard.
    thanks for your time STEVE.............oh and heres a pic of a better day when the canes had a system and a crappy russian goalie. probably the best weekend of my life next to when canada won the gold metal against,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the US in 2002. hopefully the pics will work.
    STEVE

mtbr member
    when we went to see the leafs beet your beloved canes it was quit possibly the loudest and best arena i have ever been in, i dont know if you guys re-do the crowd noise through the speakers but the energy especially during warm up was something that only happens when we play the habs or senators, and even then not half as loud. STEVE
    Boy, those pics bring back some good memories for me too. If you think that was loud, you should be down here for a Carolina/Duke or Carolina/NC State ACC basketball game. Everyone around here grew up watching the best college basketball in the country, and with no pro sports we really loved our schools' teams. That's where we learned to party and make some noise like you saw when you came down for the Eastern Conference finals. We were on CBC during one of our tailgate parties before one of the games against the Leafs. You guys figured out the tailgate thing by the second weekend at game 5. Somebody from Toronto brought a wading pool about 8' in diameter and filled the whole thing up with ice and beer. There were an estimated 3500 Leafs fans who came down who never even got inside the arena, just partied and watched on the big screen.

Last year the Canes were doing ok until the injuries started with Weekes against the Red Wings, then the wheels kinda fell off. Seems to have carried over into this year, but things have been looking a lot better the last eight games. Anyways, let's see what the schedule is next year (if there is a season) and maybe we can hook up for a game and some riding. Tickets will be on me, and I'm sure we can hook you up with some reasonable accomodations. And there's almost always somewhere to ride year round, even with the monsoon weather we've been having for the last year or so.

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm sound good...............

pics of me and the lady friend b4 I went down, unfortunatly for her we couldnt get any more tickets, and we had no cash left as we spent 500 bucks on 2 tickets on the goal line against the very back wall to see the leafs beet out ottawa in game 7 a couple weeks before, that was game 5 i went to i parked right by the guy withthe mini pool and the beer. it was my first time at a tail gait party, your sport fans are crazy we were playing ball hockey in the parking lot b4 the game heres some of the views.

mtbr member
    that was game 5 i went to i parked right by the guy withthe mini pool and the beer. it was my first time at a tail gait party, your sport fans are crazy we were playing ball hockey in the parking lot b4 the game heres some of the views.
    We were the crew at the other end of the parking aisle from you guys. In your last pic we were with the folks in the white pickup over the shoulder of the guy with the black tee shirt. I don't have any tailgate pics from that series, just from the Cup finals against the Wings. We enjoyed partying with you guys, the Detroit fans were mostly a bunch of jerks. Making fun of us and calling us Mayberry hicks. Guess they didn't figure out we live in a nicer place, have better weather, are better educated and our median income is a bunch more than theirs. Or maybe they did and were just jealous. I sure was glad to see them swept in the first round last year.

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm hey bill C thanks for the FRANCIS deal.........

the leafs are going 16 undefeated in the playoffs, looks like were coming down the first week in april maybe the 7 or 8th depening on flight scheduling back from domincan. heres a pic for your enjoyment, i used to be a huge geoff sanderson fan, hartfard away number 8. vintage. oh and would you recomend staying in brevard or asheville for a riding closeness. i dont mind a 1/2 to 40 minute drive but i would like to be the closest to the best trails in pisgah, and do they sell week long bike pasess any idea on the price, poor students need to make sure of finances before i dig my self a hole

mtbr member
    Steve,
    I would highly recommend that you stay in or around Brevard. If you don't mind camping, the Davidson River campground is your best bet. It's just down the road from the entrance to Pisgah National Forest, and you can spend several days riding trails right out of the campground. Some of the finest Pisgah has to offer actually. Sounds like you'll be down before the seasonal trails close after April 15th which is a bonus. If you don't mind primitive camping, there are plenty of free campsites along the Forest Service roads in the area as well. No water, toilets or showers though. Davidson River CG is around $18/night but has all the above.

Riding in Pisgah is free. Except for broken bike parts of course. A couple of excellent bike shops right down the highway from the entrance to Pisgah if needed. And don't forget to pick up the FS map of Pisgah. No way should you hit any of the trails without that in your pack. You could end up seriously lost otherwise. I may even be in Pisgah for the weekend (it's Easter) of 4/9-4/11. Unless we go to another section of Pisgah closer to Raleigh in the Grandfather district at Mortimer/Wilson Creek. Pisgah NF is huge and is divided into three districts covering a large portion of the western part of the state. The portion between Asheville and Brevard is the best known.

If you can, take one of the locals on this board up on their offers to show you around. There are some classic rides you don't want to miss. Laurel Mountain/Pilot Rock/Slate Rock, Black Mountain, Big Creek and Buckwheat Knob/Bennett Gap are a few of my favorites. There are a ton of other trails to explore as well. Just depends on how extreme you want to get.