Columbia, SC- Mtbr.com

Thread: Columbia, SC

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Columbia, SC

My wife and I are considering a move back east when I get done with school in Southern California. What are some good rides around Columbia? I'm kinda familiar with the places around USC but my wife is more competent with the area.

Please list the trails which you recommend. Thank you in advance.

Milano
    `10 Cannondale F5. No upgrades yet.

JSP
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Dont move to Cola

If you enjoy riding, do not move to Cola. There is one OK trail system, Harbison. Everything else worth riding is a minimum of 2 hours away. Move to Greenville, Asheville, or even Augusta first.

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    Move anywhere between Greenville and Ashville. Columbia is HOT!!!!

paintbucket
    Harbison is the primary local trail system. About 20 miles if you ride everything. The other local system is at Sesquicentennial Park. Doesn't see much use though, and is significantly shorter. Killer 3 is at Manchester State Forest about 40 minutes east, and Lynches Wood is about 40 minutes NW. Haven't been to either for a long time. LW tends to be maintained only intermittently, and is hit or miss. K3 is used to be well maintained, but I don't know its status anymore. FATS and various other CSRA/McCormick County trails are 1-1.5 hours west. Those are the real deal.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    My reason to move to Cola was to go to USC I should have stated that too. Driving isn't an issue there's no California traffic there so anything will be easy to get to. Thank you guys for the recommendations. When I go back east I'll have to check out the trails as well.
    `10 Cannondale F5. No upgrades yet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    To echo Wooglin, ride Harbison in the dry, Sesqui in the wet. Killer 3 are in great shape. FATS is even better. Lynches Woods... unmaintained the last time I was there in '09.

Team Martin
    Since you don't mind driving a little distance I would also recommend hitting the trails in the Charlotte metro... my personal faves are USNWC, Sherman Branch, Lake Norman & Colonel Francis Beatty... the latter when I'm riding w/ my 8 yr old.

http://www.tarheeltrailblazers.com/index.cfm

RXB
    B*Man
    Go to FATS for the first trip, its is worth the drive. The trails flow well and there is more single track to tackle.

Fats: http://www.sctrails.net/Trails/alltr...Bike/FATS.html

Harbison: http://www.sctrails.net/Trails/MAPS/...nSF%20map.html
    Jack of all trades, master of none.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    i keep hearing about lynches woods not maintained but if you would go up and clean up sometimes it wouldnt be like that..... sometimes is not just about the riding ///// its one of the best tech trails in sc and as of today there are only two places you have to get off where trees are down i will try to clean them up in the next few days i have about 10 hrs of clean time in there so far

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by Milano1
    My wife and I are considering a move back east when I get done with school in Southern California. What are some good rides around Columbia? I'm kinda familiar with the places around USC but my wife is more competent with the area.

Please list the trails which you recommend. Thank you in advance.

Milano

Where are you from back east? I'm new here - moved from Portland, ME. I've found the riding to be OK. If i were you, i'd try to live close to Harbison. I live down in rosewood which is on the other side of town b/c my girlfriend travels to sumter 3x a week. We've found that a lot of people move out of what's considered "downtown" after thier 20's... Seems like half the people we meet live out in lexington/irmo/west columbia. Much different then what we are used to.

Only been here a couple months and we've done quite a bit of driving to keep things interesting. I can can give you my very limited experience/opinion.

Harbison - is the closest thing in town. Spiderwoman is the only thing of any technical merit and has a little bit of climbing (for midlands standards). We've strung together a number of 15+mile rides there. Some of the main connector trails are kinda dull.

Sequi- Haven't been there yet, tho it's quite close. Hear its short and sandy?

Killer 3 in Manchester Forest - Tried to ride there once. Guess it's now closed until mid Jan for hunting, except on Sundays. We play soccer on sundays so it'll be while before we ride that

FATS - hour 20 away? Great network of trails made and maintained by a local SORBA chapter. It's the smoothest place and fastest place i have ever ridden. Almost too much so... Been there a couple times now. Lots of trail. maybe 40 miles?

Lynches Woods in Newberry - maybe 8 miles. It was in terrible shape when we rode it. COuldn't even see the trail in places. It's a long ride from Rosewood for it to be worth it IMO.

Greenville/Clemson/Sartenburg - all about 2 hours. Haven't been up there yet.

Charlotte trails are anywhere from 1.5 hours to 2.5 hours away. Easy drive though. Their trails are great. Their riding community is light years ahead of ours and it shows in their trails. We had a blast at Sherman Branch the other day...

Then there is the whole asheville/pisgah/dupont/tsali stuff. Just under 3 hours and Worth every minute. That place rocks.

Again, in my very limited perspective and humble opinion. I would recommend living close to Harbison which also puts you closer to the upstate riding and asheville. Maybe a touch closer to Charlotte too? Things are so spread out around here i'm still trying to figure out the lay of the land.

And don't forget to join the newly anticipated midlands SORBA chapter.

paintbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind
    FATS - hour 20 away? Great network of trails made and maintained by a local SORBA chapter. It's the smoothest place and fastest place i have ever ridden. Almost too much so... Been there a couple times now. Lots of trail. maybe 40 miles?
    Bunch of stuff over near FATS you're missing. Go to the SORBA-CSRA trails web page and look at Modoc, Turkey/Wine Ck, and Horne Ck. Way different from FATS.

Also, I'm in Rosewood. Right by the park.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    Bunch of stuff over near FATS you're missing. Go to the SORBA-CSRA trails web page and look at Modoc, Turkey/Wine Ck, and Horne Ck. Way different from FATS.

Also, I'm in Rosewood. Right by the park.
    I know there is a bunch of other riding down there. Just don't know what's worth the drive and what isn't yet... I suspect we'll be riding down there a whole lot more this winter instead of driving north...

Members who have read this thread: 0