China Creek- Mtbr.com

Thread: China Creek

29er zealot

China Creek

Headed out to explore China Creek with a guide and a couple of friends tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone had any clue as to the typical ride/loop for mileage and climbing. I'm hoping for some long gravel road climbs followed by some tech singletrack on the way down...is this what I am going to find tomorrow? Any insight would be great!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Expect a lot of creek crossings, a few rock gardens, and really fast sections between the creek. Awesome trail. if you want gravel you have it, a steep climb back up to Blowing Rock awaits you.

29er zealot
    excellent, that's what I like to hear! The creek crossings should be a little high judging by other creeks around me!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    It's been about 2 years since I rode the full trail and a lot of it was growing over at that time; hopefully it's been cleared out since.Note:it's a ton of fun to bike down the road from Blowing Rock, but I had a head-on with a car on a sharp corner doing this a few years ago. Took out the entire front end of the Monterro at 30 mph, luckily I survived with a bum knee for a year, and a taco'd front wheel. I don't recommend biking down the road at all.

My usual route started with parking at the trailhead on Globe Road -- big pulloff on the right about 3 miles or so as you're driving down the road. Bike in on this fire road for maybe 4-5 miles or so (you'll pass the 'end' of the singletrack trail on your left about 1/2 mile in), until you cross a paved bridge that's usually underwater. (terrible picture below, but this is the bridge with water on top)

Just after this bridge, you'll come to a 4-way intersection with the singletrack crossing from right to left, and the fire road continuing up the mountain. Keep going straight on the fire road all the way to the end, passing through two clearings with fire pits, and you'll end with a great view of the surrounding Blue Ridge Mountains.

Turn around from here and you've got a few miles of downhill fire road back to that 4-way intersection. It's best to keep an eye out on the way down for any 4 wheelers or trucks driving up the trail; it's happened before. Once you're back at the 4-way intersection, with the underwater bridge in front of you, take the singletrack up to the left. If you follow this to the very end, you'll be right behind Blowing Rock Boulders in the backyard of some large homes (Don't walk through the yards). Turn around and you've got another (mostly) downhill ride back to the intersection. Lots of fun, technical rock gardens and stream crossings in here.

Once back at the intersection, keep going straight across the intersection and continue on the singletrack. There's usually between 6-7 steam crossings from here back to the car. Depending on the rain, these can range between 6" streams, to waste deep torrents (especially fun in January when it's melting snow and ice...brrr).

There's a great swimming hole after about the 3rd stream crossing. You'll ride up a hill, come to a crest with a nice, fast downhill in front of you. Before you go down, look over to the right and there's a swimming hole with small waterfall leading in. (I've got some pictures at home of this area that I'll try and post if I can)

After the swimming hole, about 2 more stream crossings and the final climb back up to the fire road and to the car. Last time I rode it, the final 1/4 mile of the singletrack was incredibly washed out, and virtually unrideable (at least going up).

Overall it's a great trail, one of the top in Boone. If you have extra time, drive a few miles down through Globe and check out Woodruff Ridge. About 5 miles of gravel road (similar to Globe Road) of climbing, but a killer 2-3 mile downhill back to the parking spot.

29er zealot
    Highly worthwhile! Ridden basically from ASU's campus and back, it was a soggy day, but still a blast. Full ride report will be up on my blog here in the next couple of hours... Pics below!

mtbr member
    heard there were a lot of blow downs, need to hike it with the chain saw.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for that great write-up mtnbikerboy360. Last time I rode that was probably 18 years ago. (Literally, I was in Boone from '86 - '92). Did it on full rigid, because that's what I had.

The write up brings back a lot of clear memories. Especially the waste-deep crossings, and the swimming hole. Nice!
    I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -- Confucius

I HUCK WITH CHUCK
    How was the stinging nettle?

Glad to see other people enjoying the High Country's trails. Pretty undertravelled up this way.

29er zealot
    Didn't have any issues with stinging nettle, and there weren't really all that many blow downs. I was surpised, I figured it would be a little rougher juding by how seldom this trail is apparently travelled. I'll be back up there before too long enjoying that trail again, maybe double it up and do it twice.....so much fun!

a.k.a. BicycleKicks
    EDIT: removed the link to protect trail privacy... froth, you can post it if you want to.

I also spent some time at ASU lonnnnng ago... but it was probably before bikes were invented. I used to run on the XC team though, so I did run on lots of fine single track and fire roads.
    I read that on the internet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by froth14
    Didn't have any issues with stinging nettle, and there weren't really all that many blow downs. I was surpised, I figured it would be a little rougher juding by how seldom this trail is apparently travelled. I'll be back up there before too long enjoying that trail again, maybe double it up and do it twice.....so much fun!
    If you're looking for a longer ride in the area, I recommend combining China Creek with Woodruff Ridge. You can do the loops at China Creek, then ride down Globe Road to the town of Globe and the intersection with Anthony Creek Road (NC 1362). From here, turn right and follow Anthony Creek Rd for around 2 miles. You'll see a parking pulloff on the right, and waterfall on the left. This is the bottom of the Woodruff Ridge trail.

Keep riding the gravel road up and up until you get to the intersection with Edgemont Rd. This one's easy to miss; the first time we rode it, we missed the turn and road all the way up to the Viaduct on the Parkway... Take a left on Edgemont and stay on this for maybe 2 miles. You'll see a forest service road on the left and if you ride down the road maybe 100 feet, a forest service gate. This is the top of Woodruff Ridge trail.

Ride in about a mile and the trail (probably overgrown) will be on the left. This trail crosses the forest road at least once more before dropping down, down and more down, back to that parking pulloff. Bunch of great rock gardens, usually wet with a dicey fall to the left into the river on the way down, as well as a few boulders to launch off of. Once you're down to the parking pulloff, check out the waterfall and then ride the roads back up to China Creek.

These two trails combined are a great teaser for the rest of Wilson's Creek (which you can also connect to from the top of Woodruff Ridge through 21 jumps and so-on). Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    brad. some of the 'older' locals did the chainsaw work a few weeks ago.

also, the official 'trailhead' is now marked another half-mile or so past the aforementioned forest service road/gate. its one of the only trailhead signs in the wilsons creek area. it is on the left-hand side of edgemont (fs-45). this section will add maybe a half mile of trail THEN you get on the forest road and eventually get to the steep downhilly part to the car.

mtbr member
    cool i have not been over there in a while.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Who you calling old, Willis?!

YEM
    Deadhead Biker
    some Woodruff Ridge pics @ 3 weeks ago
    Attached Images Attached Images
    One man gathers what another man spills....
    -Jerry Garcia & Robert Hunter

Oct 2006

Looking for a Guide in Blowing Rock

I am going to be in Blowing Rock on June 20th and 21st. If any locals are riding the Wilson Creek, China Creek, or anything in that area that weekend please let me know. I would love to tag along.
    Thanks,

mtbr member
    I can ride in the evenings drop me a line.

Jul 2009
    I am visiting the Boone/Avery County area this week July 20-25. Is China Creek and Wilsons Creek both open and good for riding this time of year.

Anyone up for a ride?

mtbr member
    yes and yes, drop me a line.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jroth247
    I am visiting the Boone/Avery County area this week July 20-25. Is China Creek and Wilsons Creek both open and good for riding this time of year.

Anyone up for a ride?

...or, come visit your brother, ride a little, and drink lots of cheap beer.
    I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -- Confucius

Members who have read this thread: 0