Chicago to Myrtle Beach, Where to stop- Mtbr.com
    KulAdventures

Chicago to Myrtle Beach, Where to stop

I am planning a trip from Chicago to Myrtle Beach, SC with a few friends and some mountain bikes. It will be the end of march so still a little cold/wet. Any ideas on trails or camping spots we can stop at?

mtbr member
    My recommendation would be to travel to the Asheville, NC area on the first day, then spend the next day or 2 riding in the Pisgah, Dupont, Bent Creek areas (all within 30 to 45 minutes of the Asheville area. If you want something more, then Tsali is a great ride as well, and there are few areas more beautiful than Fontana Lake where Tsali trails are located. Tsali is probably an hour extra driving total if you go there before Asheville. There is a campground at Tsali. If you stay near Asheville, there is Davidson River Campground (I think I got the name right) in Brevard, right next to the trails at Pisgah. Dupont has a place called The Bike Farm (You can search for it on facebook for more info) that is also one of the places where you can ride to the trails, but I am not that familiar with their policy of minimum stay, pricing, etc.

If you were looking to spend 2 to 3 days riding in one area, I would check out Mulberry Gap in Ellijay, Georgia, but that might be more of a complete vacation than a stop along the way.
    2019 Yeti SB150
    2017 YT Jeffsy AL Two 29
    2011 Trek Rumblefish 1

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    What kind of riding are you looking for? Gnarl with hike a bike? Flowy xc? Something in between?

Slowmtber hit it with Asheville, Brevard. I wouldn't drive to Ellijay if going to MB.

KulAdventures
    That sounds awesome by Asheville, thank you so much for the info.

We are looking for all types of riding. I love technically difficult and close to DH, but we would take anything that it more aggressive than we see in Chicago.

Would love to get a few great Downhill trails in if possible. We dont have that here. Any other good rides (flowy XC or something in-between) would be awesome too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Are you bringing DH bikes? If you are checkout Windrock on your way through. Mostly self shuttled DH. There are a good bit of XC trails out there if you don't bring the DH bike. It is just outside of Knoxville, TN. You can also checkout TTC outside of chattanooga TN. (1.5ish hrs south of Winrock) Self shuttled DH here too. Also amazing xc at racoon mtn which is 30 minutes from TTC. Personally I would drive down to WR and ride there, then head to TTC. Camp there (they have cabins also for cheap) and ride TTC/Coon. Then head the 4ish hours to pisgah and ride there. Then head to the beach. Really best to have DH bikes at TTC as they don't have any XC trails. You can manage with a 6x6 if you are use to riding steep rocky terrain on it.

VA has some lovely rocky terrain as well, but you would be skipping the good parts of NC unless you backtracked.

mtbr member
    Drive all the way to Asheville and pass up Brown County State Park? What the hell is wrong with you people!

Seriously, some of the best trails just 4 hours into your drive. Leave crazy early, spend the day riding, camp, then on to Asheville the next morning. Or, catch it on the way back.

KulAdventures
    I do have one DH/All mountain bike that should be fine. However my two buddies with me do not. Is there any rental places nearby?

Is VA going to be ride-able in March?

Is there good camping in Brown County State Park?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Hmm I'm not sure there will be places to rent a DH bike in Chattanooga. DH really isn't big there, even though TTC is 30 minutes away. Maybe Knoxville, but I doubt it. Are they comfortable on steep rocky terrain? Windrock xc trails might be do-able on a smaller bike if they are used to steep/rocky. Probably have more fun in pisgah/dupont on the smaller bikes though.

KulAdventures
    Oh yeah, They are technically sound. Just not sure if they have the right bikes or not.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Asheville!!!!

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by alexk243 View Post
    Is VA going to be ride-able in March?
    I live in the Roanoke area and we ride year round. Always a chance of a late season snow storm but they don't hang around long. A few places along major highways you may or may not use are:
    Douthat I-64, great camping, big climbs and descents
    Roanoke I-81, Carvins Cove, Dragons Back and lots of other stuff too - crappy camping
    Pamdapas Pond - Blacksburg Rt 460, not sure on camping
    Round Mountain I-77 near Bluefield, new to me but I hear it is good

Post up in the VA forum if you go that way for more info and local knowledge

KulAdventures
    Yeah looks like we are going to go to Asheville on the first day, we are just concerned about the weather at the end of March, Is that going to be a factor?

Big Mac

Chicago to Myrtle Beach, Where to stop

Maybe yes, maybe no.