Charlotte Locals - Trail Intel- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Charlotte Locals - Trail Intel

With my upcoming (4) day weekend over x-mas, I'm looking to head south in search of warmer temps and sweet singletrack. I've never ridden the trails around Charlotte (usually hit Kerr Scott and Asheville when heading down to NC), but am looking for something new. I've done some research, primarily on the Tarheel Trailblazers site . Ear marked Lake Norman, Sherman Branch, and Rocky River (Steve's). Looking at the weather, it looks like you are getting precipitation now, with more to come - heavy on Tues. and Wed. How do these trails react to rain in winter? Take days to dry out, or good to go in 24hrs.? I see the current trail status is closed for all of these on the site now. Going to stay that way for awhile or open up later in the week?

I'd appreciate any local rider experience on this. Prefer to hit Charlotte so I can check out the area between rides, but may have to head west if the outlook is bad.

Thanks!!!

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    Poston and rocky river are probably the only ones that stand a chance of being open...
    That said they are probably the best 2 local trails anyway.
    Poston never closes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    what custy said.

mtbr member
    Lake Norman is a good drive north of town but if you like smooth rolling trail its nice. If you want technical and steep go to Rocky River. Back Yard is cool trail and is a must ride if your in town. Poston is fun and it never closes.

Odds are with the rain on Wednesday nothing will be open before Saturday. This time of year rain and short days keep everything pretty soupy. Rocky River holds up well to rain and along with Poston will be your best two options. IMO Rocky River is better if only for the climbs and old school hand built trail. Poston is pretty rad though.

Keep checking on the TrailBlazers site for open/closed status and post up on there if you want some local company on the trails.
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Charlotte Locals - Trail Intel

South main cycles is having a demo day from 11-2 at rocky branch in Belmont on Friday.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for all the replies. I'll have to put the visit to Charlotte on the shelf for another trip, maybe this sping. Still heading south, but only down to VA.