Charlotte area trails- beginner friendly- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2016

Charlotte area trails- beginner friendly

I'm a new rider. I have maybe half a dozen rides so far at the WW center in charlotte. I've been on the green trails (lake loop, etc) there and some sections of intermediate. ("entrance trail" that comes out near the north trail) So far so good. I'm having fun and learning a lot. I'm just wondering what other opportunities are in that area that are beginner friendly? thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mychel0620 View Post
    I'm a new rider. I have maybe half a dozen rides so far at the WW center in charlotte. I've been on the green trails (lake loop, etc) there and some sections of intermediate. ("entrance trail" that comes out near the north trail) So far so good. I'm having fun and learning a lot. I'm just wondering what other opportunities are in that area that are beginner friendly? thanks!
    There are lots of beginner trails in Charlotte.

The Tarheel Trailblazers are your local MTB club/advocacy group. They are super friendly and sponsor group rides as well if you want to make some friends. They can offer you all the information you can handle on riding mtb in Charlotte...

Hit them up!

Tarheel TrailBlazers - Charlotte Mountain Bike Club
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Awesome. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    if you are willing to drive some, there are lots of other great places. I usually ride locally during the week and then travel a little further on the weekend. LKN State Park is great. Laurel Loop is not beginner friendly, but most everything else is. Go as fast as you can see, and don't be afraid to walk sections if needed. If you start searching, you will find lots of places to ride.

do you live in Charlotte?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    We are close to charlotte... about 20 min west. WWC is just close so weve been there several times. Poston is also close. Dont mind driving... I would like to check out LKN soon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    shoot me a PM and I will give you my contact info. Rode Warrior Creek today for the first time and it has it's challenges.

I would like to head back to the WWC. Haven't been there in years. I don't think you will have any issue keeping up with me, may be the other way round. lol

There is some really fun stuff at LKN.

mtbr member
    Mychele, I see you are in Dallas, NC. I graduated from North Gaston back in the late 80's. My parents still live in Gastonia. I used to bring my bike when visiting my folks, and rode either the WWC, or Poston Park in Lowell. Poston is close if you don't want to go all the way to the WWC, but I have no idea if the trails are still in decent shape. Not as fun as WWC, but might be worth a shot when you are pinched for time.
    "Caught my first tube this morning....sir!"

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    [QUOTE=go
    I've had a few people say definitely give Poston a try. It's on my "to ride" list soon, mainly because it's like 10 minutes away.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hey, you are likely only about 20 minutes from me. We have a nice beginner type trail 5 minutes from the house. If you want to come up and ride together one afternoon, let me know.

I am definitely going to try Poston. I did not realize it was so close, or even that it is there. Cool. New bike will be in mid month.

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    Poston is the best trail in Charlotte, not in Charlotte. #DWI

mtbr member
    I rode my specialized levo out there yesterday and I would agree that POston is the easiest trail in the charlotte metro area that's actually not located in meckelburg county.

mtbr member
    Poston is essentially like a greenway, flat and paved.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fetty_wap View Post
    Poston is essentially like a greenway, flat and paved.
    Poston is neither flat, nor paved.
    "Caught my first tube this morning....sir!"

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    As a newer FL rider I went to Sherman Branch MTB trail a week and a half ago. It was pure awesomeness. There are some decent drops and technical areas on Rollercoaster, and I didn't ride the big lake loop...but if you stick to the main trail section, it's fairly smooth and flowy. Highly recommend it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Make sure you do thread trail at WWC which is an out and back. Along with Lake Loop and the Entrance trail you mentioned those are the only ones I have taken my Girlfriend on so far as she is just starting out.

Sherman is a small step above the beginner WWC trails. It has a few awkward sections, rooty corners, etc but most are concentrated on Roller Coaster loop and Lake Loop, (different than the WWC lake loop). My GF had a spill on a rutted out corner and did not appreciate some other parts of roller coaster!

You could work your way up at WWC for a while. When Lake loop is comfortable for you, try the South Main trail, then maybe North Main. When those are comfortable try out some of the challenging loops like figure 8, goat, or wedge.

I'd also recommend a day trip to the Northern Section of Dupont. The trails are great and thrilling but VERY smooth for beginners. Ridgeline trail is a can't-miss You will need a little fitness to make the climbs but totally worth it.

You've found the right sport, have fun and stick with it! PM me if you have any questions about CLT trails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Thanks Rusty. I've been working on lake loop at WWC for a few weeks. I feel comfortable now with it and no issues with the obstacles anymore. I have a friend that has ridden for several years and is helping me a lot. We're going this weekend I think to take me on north trail and def thread trail. I appreciate the input! Have you been to Tsali? Id' like to eventually head that way and check it out.

western NC
    Tsali is great if you live close by. No way I'd drive past Pisgah, DuPont, and Bent Creek to come here though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Tsali is close to a place we like to camp which is what peaked my interest.

I love Pisgah area. We usually camp in the Davidson River area. Is there anything beginner friendly that you know of?

mtbr member
    Tsali is close to a place we like to camp which is what peaked my interest.

I love Pisgah area. We usually camp in the Davidson River area. Is there anything beginner friendly that you know of?
    South Slope and Thrift Cove/Lower Black Mtn. are beginner friendly. As is the Ecusta trail into Brevard. You can access those right our of the DRC.

Bent Creek is sooo much better than Tsali and is pretty much right in Asheville so close to everything that brings.
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty904 View Post
    Make sure you do thread trail at WWC which is an out and back. Along with Lake Loop and the Entrance trail you mentioned those are the only ones I have taken my Girlfriend on so far as she is just starting out.

Sherman is a small step above the beginner WWC trails. It has a few awkward sections, rooty corners, etc but most are concentrated on Roller Coaster loop and Lake Loop, (different than the WWC lake loop). My GF had a spill on a rutted out corner and did not appreciate some other parts of roller coaster!

You could work your way up at WWC for a while. When Lake loop is comfortable for you, try the South Main trail, then maybe North Main. When those are comfortable try out some of the challenging loops like figure 8, goat, or wedge.

I'd also recommend a day trip to the Northern Section of Dupont. The trails are great and thrilling but VERY smooth for beginners. Ridgeline trail is a can't-miss You will need a little fitness to make the climbs but totally worth it.

You've found the right sport, have fun and stick with it! PM me if you have any questions about CLT trails.
    I rode the left end of thread trail the other day (left of fire road) and dumped out on back half of figure 8. That was fun!! I couldn't do the hill/rock garden.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    South Slope and Thrift Cove/Lower Black Mtn. are beginner friendly. As is the Ecusta trail into Brevard. You can access those right our of the

Bent Creek is sooo much better than Tsali and is pretty much right in Asheville so close to everything that brings.
    sweet! We will probably head up to Brevard this spring for camping so I will check out opportunities near the campground. Love it up there!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I rode the left end of thread trail the other day (left of fire road) and dumped out on back half of figure 8. That was fun!! I couldn't do the hill/rock garden.
    Cool! Thread loop is some fun new singletrack out there. That rocky hill isn't as bad as it looks, pick the right gear and keep spinning and you'll get right up it!

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    North meck is also a easy and short <20 min loop if you just want to get a quick ride in.
    Sherman Branch is a lot of fun as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Norman Lake is also real nice.