Charlotte area trails- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Charlotte area trails

Family and I staying in Charlotte March 22-28. What trails should I hit while there? I can probably swing over to Pisgah one day and debating going down to check out the marathon nationals course another day. I like fast flowing to technical xc riding.

Thanks,
    Nort

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Details and reviews of all the Charlotte-area trails: Tarheel TrailBlazers - Charlotte Mountain Bike Club

mtbr member
    The Tarheel Trailblazers are the ones to ask. They built/maintain the bulk of Charlotte area trails.

"Charlotte area" is a big place. The best in town ride is BYT (Backyard Trail). Technical old school hand cut singletrack, US National Whitewater Center is west of town and has decent trail and beer on site. Poston is fun too.

If you have time to head about an hour east Uwharrie National Forest trails are nice and Rocky River Trail (RRT) is a great little gem on the east side of town..

If I had one week in NC and had to stay in Charlotte I'd ride those trails and spend the rest of my time in Pisgah.
    On your left!

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    This minus uwharrie its a waste
    All the other Charlotte trails should just give up and close forever as they are crap
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    The Tarheel Trailblazers are the ones to ask. They built/maintain the bulk of Charlotte area trails.

"Charlotte area" is a big place. The best in town ride is BYT (Backyard Trail). Technical old school hand cut singletrack, US National Whitewater Center is west of town and has decent trail and beer on site. Poston is fun too.

If you have time to head about an hour east Uwharrie National Forest trails are nice and Rocky River Trail (RRT) is a great little gem on the east side of town..

If I had one week in NC and had to stay in Charlotte I'd ride those trails and spend the rest of my time in Pisgah.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    If you want fast and flowy, I'd check out Lake Norman State Park. 30.5 miles of fast and flowy.

Don't trust anyone that builds fences...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by supercusty View Post
    All the other Charlotte trails should just give up and close forever as they are crap
    What kind of saddle do you run? I'd love to know what can hold your giant elitist a$$.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Oh, Snap! That was beautiful!

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    Charlotte area trails-comfy-cycling-mountain-bike-bicycle-3d-memory-foam-saddle-seat-cover-cushion-pad-red-63534642235.jpg

My massive balls are very comfortable thanks

mtbr member
    May 2011
    My massive balls are very comfortable thanks
    They must be particularly huge to act as a counterweight while you ride with your nose in the air.

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    Personal attacks are an easy resort when you have no argument to defend your mediocre leaf blown double track for children

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Making fun of a trail system you never participated in is too. Build what you like to ride and quit dissing others that do the same.

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    You Don't know me and have no idea what I have or haven't done. Trails are still boring though. I know how you Blazers don't like opinions ... Typical nazi behavior

mtbr member
    May 2011
    You Don't know me and have no idea what I have or haven't done. Trails are still boring though. I know how you Blazers don't like opinions ... Typical nazi behavior
    As the saying goes, opinions are like a$$holes, and you are one. I guess we can assume that as soon as you swung your huge nuts over a bike, it was to attack the red bull dreamline. Every trail has it's purpose for different types of riders, from the 4 yr old or 40 yr old beginner to the expert. Your unprovoked jab at the charlotte area trails that provides numerous varying choices for all skill levels just goes to prove how out of touch you are with what the mtb community is all about. If you don't like a trail, don't ride it. There's zero need to bash the hard work of volunteers that selflessly provide opportunities for others. Arrogance and pretentiousness don't have a place here.

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    Thank you lord and master. How dare I criticize on an open discussion forum. And I am the arrogant one lollerspolsion

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    Some might say that Sponsel is an eccentric that sits on the fringe of the cycling industry, while others would tell you that he's leading the charge when it comes to spitting truth. Either way you look at it, Charlie isn't one to hold back when he writes his often rambling yet completely sensical diatribes on whatever topic he feels needs to be addressed. All this usually goes down on the Team Robot blog (put aside a few hours if you end up there), but it seemed fit to include his thoughts here, in the inaugural One Question. Oh, Charlie also races in enduro and gravity events for Felt Bikes and Gravity Components.

The biggest game changer in our sport will be whether or not we can change the prevailing attitudes of trail advocacy and build legal trails that aren't boring and monotonous. If current trail building trends don't change, mountain biking will be horrible in ten years.

Apparently five years ago there was a meeting that I wasn't invited to where all the MTB advocacy groups on the planet agreed that every new trail that gets built from now until the end of time needs to be have a ten percent average grade or less, be built by machines, paved from one side to the other with crushed gravel, pavers, or embedded rock, bench cut into sidehills, and the only acceptable form of turn is a 180 degree switchback or a massive berm. It also must built to withstand one thousand years of bike tires, rain, snow, sleet, flooding, explosions, stray plane crashes, plagues, and the zombie apocalypse, all without needing any from of maintenance whatsoever.

There was also a second meeting where they decided that anyone who didn't agree with the trail concepts from the first meeting should be labeled as ''just a hater,'' ''anti-growth,'' or ''close-minded,'' and to be ostracized and kept a safe distance away from any legal trail building. Any trails that didn't fit the general precepts from the first meeting would be labeled as ''unsustainable'' or ''dangerous'' and must be closed down or rerouted. I've seen this pattern occur over and over again across the U.S., but also in Canada, the UK, and even in the Alps, and it's resulted in two separate worlds of mountain biking: the world of legal, boring, legitimate trail building, and the world of fun, steep, fast illegal trail building. Thanks to the seemingly irreconcilable differences between both groups, these two worlds grow farther and farther apart every year.

Of course there are examples of legal trails that don't suck. Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance in Seattle, Washington, is building a pretty incredible (and totally legal) downhill trail on their flagship riding area, Tiger Mountain, just fifteen minutes from downtown Seattle. The guys at Momentum Trail Concepts in Colorado are doing a great job. The U.S. Bureau of Land Management is probably the most enlightened federal land management agency in the U.S., and they've done an increasingly good job of offering mountain bike opportunities that aren't horrible. It's possible to balance land managers concerns while building a challenging trail for someone with a skill level exceeding ''Fisher Price: My First Bike Ride.'' So why do these positive examples have to be the exception, not the rule?

The challenge facing mountain biking is twofold: will advanced riders speak up and define what we want our trails to look like, and will legitimate trail advocacy groups choose to listen? The answer to those two questions will do more to shape the mountain bike industry ten years from now than any product, rider, or event ever could.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thank you lord and master. How dare I criticize on an open discussion forum. And I am the arrogant one lollerspolsion
    Wow. Nothing screams half-wit more than the "I know you are, but what am I" argument. Impressive. Strong work quoting a pinkbike article, which I agree with by the way. It doesn't really apply to this conversation and still doesn't excuse your ignorant comments earlier. But a nice try, nonetheless. You know, I was thinking I knew who you were, but I couldn't place it until just now...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyTyjQbvylg

It's obvious the kind of person I'm dealing with, so I'm done here.
    Charlotte area trails-giphy.jpg
    Last edited by johnski; 03-14-2015 at 09:46 AM.

banned
    Jun 2007
    Wow.... quite the lover's quarrel that the OP stumbled upon.
    Nort, sounds like you've got plenty of great trails to choose from so long as these two aren't there killing each other in the parking lot.

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    Blazers for the most part build crap deal with it

Big Mac
    Blazers for the most part build crap deal with it
    Tell me about the trails you build.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    Wow.... quite the lover's quarrel that the OP stumbled upon.
    Nort, sounds like you've got plenty of great trails to choose from so long as these two aren't there killing each other in the parking lot.
    No. What you stumbled onto was supercusty running his mouth masked as "opinion" and "freedom of speech" getting smacked down with some more "freedom of speech" by guys that have done 10X the trail work and local advocacy that he has. And we're frankly tired of his [email protected]*t.

Sure, there are trails I find somewhat boring. I just dont sit on internet forums and take a dump on them or the people that built them. Its a sign of insecurity.

I've read the team robot article and while he does makes some good points about homogenized trails, its more a "lover's scourn" rant than anything.

If any group wants to build the kind of trails they want built then they organize and start the process of getting it done. No crying in the breast milk.

mbmb65
    He has helped build trail at one local trail...the way he likes to ride...and that's cool by me. That's Poston and a nice trail. Lots of fun.

banned
    Jun 2007
    ^ Thanks for explaining. Think every area has their own supercrusty vocal dingleberry.

...sent by dixie cup/string

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    I have helped with other blazer trails over the years... Just not my cup of tea.
    So easy to get to you over sensitive children

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Not really sure what I started here. My family and I are staying with friends in Fort Mills and just rode from the house up to Anne Springs so I didn't have to drive and leave them for a full day. We went to Myrtle Beach Tuesday through Thursday and now are back in Fort Mills for one last ride tomorrow. Anne Springs was fun and fast. Do I ride back out there tomorrow? Or hop in the car and drive somewhere to ride?

IMBA trails in Myrtle Beach were a nice surprise. Was happy to not have to take the road bike out of the car even if it did feel like riding a map of the small intestine.
    nort

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by norty_mtb View Post
    Anne Springs was fun and fast. Do I ride back out there tomorrow? Or hop in the car and drive somewhere to ride?
    In all likelihood, most trails will be closed due to the rains through the night and morning. The only guaranteed open place would be George Poston Park in Lowell, NC, not too far from Fort Mill. Very fun and challenging place to ride, and can be a bear when it's wet. Lots of elevation change and opportunities to get the rubber off the ground. Another highly recommended option, which would be a little drive, is Rocky River Trail in Concord, NC. Private land, and the owner typically opens up post-rain earlier than anyone else. This place will have the most legit climbs in the area combined with some of the most fun descents. Check Tarheel TrailBlazers - Charlotte Mountain Bike Club for the trail status.

And, sorry for muddling up your original thread. Someone had to take out the garbage.

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    None of those superior built trails are open after a few hours of rain lol
    Poston wins again

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Sherman Branch is a great trail, and Rocky Branch in Belmont is a good time, as well, albeit a short one (3.7 miles).

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Hey, Bastardo. You sound like a winner yourself, posting in a thread praising trails you know the OP won't be able to ride because they'll be closed.

Poston is awesome and will be the only place open tomorrow. But you'll have to deal with a zillion runners until at least the early afternoon...

mtbr member
    This thread should be a permanent link for every future post about Charlotte. That will really help the city a lot.

That, btw, is what some call sarcasm.
    Last edited by Mike Brown; 03-28-2015 at 04:34 AM.

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    I agree as we have enough people already. Charlotte is full move on and go straight past right into sc

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jstuhlman View Post
    Hey, Bastardo. You sound like a winner yourself, posting in a thread praising trails you know the OP won't be able to ride because they'll be closed.

Poston is awesome and will be the only place open tomorrow. But you'll have to deal with a zillion runners until at least the early afternoon...
    Rocky Branch is open.

Plus it's not my responsibility to check if trails are open, it's the OP's. Plus you can ride a trail if its closed, who the f would stop you?

mtbr member
    Boy I just accepted a job in Charlotte and reading the posts here I'm so excited to move there!

Hah, no, that is some good New England sarcasm for ya. Regardless of what anyone posts on a website I've visited twice now and was thoroughly impressed. I'm a little weary about amount/length of city trail (I'm use to 30-50 miles out my door, no city to contend with).

But, what I see Charlotte lacking in shear mileage I think the culture (woah, yeah, I just said that, even after these childish rants) makes up for. Obviously Pisgah is within striking distance (though that's a change, I rarely travel purely to ride). The city seems like a great place for a young guy, good food, job is a great opportunity, and plenty to do besides ride (shit I'm excited to climb again, and get more into paddling).
    Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by iceboxsteve View Post
    Boy I just accepted a job in Charlotte and reading the posts here I'm so excited to move there!

Hah, no, that is some good New England sarcasm for ya. Regardless of what anyone posts on a website I've visited twice now and was thoroughly impressed. I'm a little weary about amount/length of city trail (I'm use to 30-50 miles out my door, no city to contend with).

But, what I see Charlotte lacking in shear mileage I think the culture (woah, yeah, I just said that, even after these childish rants) makes up for. Obviously Pisgah is within striking distance (though that's a change, I rarely travel purely to ride). The city seems like a great place for a young guy, good food, job is a great opportunity, and plenty to do besides ride (shit I'm excited to climb again, and get more into paddling).
    There are lots of cool riders here in Charlotte. In fact I would say the vast majority are cool people....with a few exceptions.

Deadrise & Derailleurs
    I don't want to reignite the flames this thread created, but I'll take that chance. So I'm going to be visiting Charlotte and would like to check out a trail or two while there. I've done a little bit of research and the ones I'm interested in (that are also close to my location) are Fisher Farm Park and North Mecklenburg Park.

How technical are they? (are they too tech for a CX bike?)

Any opinions or suggestions about these?

Are there any trails not listed on TarheelTrailblazers.com within a reasonable distance (~15-20min drive) to Huntersville?

Thanks.
    Deadrise & Derailleurs

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    North meck is a pretty simple 3.5 mile loop, pretty much zero technical features...its a great after work spot to ride.. There's usually the same core group there nightly..I'm there usually between 545-7:30 nightly....fisher farm and its various trails offer more distance and features than north meck ....more log piles.... A few drops and other features make it a nice change.... You might want to check into the white water center as well... Its20-25 minutes away from Huntersville via 485..there are bound to be several trails there that will suit your needs... Plus they have great food and an awesome beer selection.

Deadrise & Derailleurs
    Quote Originally Posted by ElBorracho62 View Post
    North meck is a pretty simple 3.5 mile loop, pretty much zero technical features...its a great after work spot to ride.. There's usually the same core group there nightly..I'm there usually between 545-7:30 nightly....fisher farm and its various trails offer more distance and features than north meck ....more log piles.... A few drops and other features make it a nice change....
    Thanks.

You might want to check into the white water center as well... Its20-25 minutes away from Huntersville via 485..there are bound to be several trails there that will suit your needs... Plus they have great food and an awesome beer selection.
    My in-laws mentioned I might like the WWC.

How is riding during December? (I'm not afraid of the cold).
    Deadrise & Derailleurs

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    If it's dry it's great.... Good night riding at a lot of places... Aside from your eyes watering and snot running down your face it's perfect

Deadrise & Derailleurs
    My trip was postponed till the end of the month (better riding weather). Did some further research into trails in Charlotte area. I don't want to pay to ride my bike so the white water center is out. That's ridiculous.

Sherman Branch looked promising, as well as Lake Norman State Park. I watched a couple of people's youtube videos of them. The Sherman Branch looked more technical than Lake Norman. I was kind of looking for that, but I just want to ride.

Anyone have experience with these trails?
    Deadrise & Derailleurs

mtbr member
    Honestly its $5... and they are some of the better trails within the immediate vicinity of Charlotte.

Sherman sucks. Except no one else will say that. Not sure how anyone would ever label Sherman technical. I do like it on my cross bike though.

Lake Norman is okay, almost 45 minutes from Charlotte proper.

I've recently found Poston which is closer than Lake Norman and now ranks as one of my more favorite trails in the area.

Deadrise & Derailleurs
    Honestly its $5... and they are some of the better trails within the immediate vicinity of Charlotte.

I've recently found Poston which is closer than Lake Norman and now ranks as one of my more favorite trails in the area.
    I must be misinformed. I was told it was $25 to enter the WWC.

I'll put Postson on my list to visit; it looks cool. Thanks
    Deadrise & Derailleurs

mtbr member
    While Sherman Branch is fun if you are close to it, Lake Norman is the place to go if you have the time. Can easily spend 3 hours riding that network.

Deadrise & Derailleurs
    Well I'm back from North Carolina. Unfortunately I only got in two days of riding while in the Charlotte area. I did Poston Park first and Lake Norman State Park the second day.

Poston Park was a decent trail. It had some cool/fun sections, but no different than the trails I ride at home. My biggest complaint is the lack of markings. The trail itself is marked well enough with spray paint on trees (looked like it hadn't been reapplied for some time). The intersections were a mess. It was as if people had blazed side trails off the main and it was hard to discern which was the proper path.

To make a comparison: I completed the Laurel Loop's 9+ miles in under an hour (with stops to take some mid ride pics), while it took me 1:10 to finish Poston's 6+ miles. The additional time at Poston was spent at crossroads trying to figure out which way to go.

Lake Norman Laurel Loop was awesome! It was well designed. ...and well marked (even though it didn't need it). I wish I had more time there. If the Laurel Loop is a representation of the other Lake Norman SP trails, I would have spent everyday there doing the whole network.

Next trip I'll make a detour to Pisgah and see what that's all about.Charlotte area trails-kona3.jpgCharlotte area trails-kona4-800x800-.jpgCharlotte area trails-lakenormansp-800x800-.jpg
    Deadrise & Derailleurs

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    Quote Originally Posted by curtiseddie View Post
    Poston Park My biggest complaint is the lack of markings. The trail itself is marked well enough with spray paint on trees (looked like it hadn't been reapplied for some time). The intersections were a mess. It was as if people had blazed side trails off the main and it was hard to discern which was the proper path.

To make a comparison: I completed the Laurel Loop's 9+ miles in under an hour (with stops to take some mid ride pics), while it took me 1:10 to finish Poston's 6+ miles. The additional time at Poston was spent at crossroads trying to figure out which way to go.
    Poston is 10 miles so you might have missed a loop or two. The spray paint is just a year old...it wears off the trees that fast. Almost every intersection has signs and arrows (unless some have been torn down which happens from time to time). There is also some rogue spray paint out there...I think someone from an adjoining neighborhood painted their own route. But honestly it should be simple to follow if you take a minute to study the map on your first visit. Follow a color, at an intersection the next color will start, follow it to continue or stay on the color you've been on to return. Simple stacked loop concept.

Now that we've been recognized as a National Recreational Trail by Fedzilla we're working on a plan to better sign and blaze the trail. Thanks for riding it while you were in the area!
    Last edited by zod; 04-05-2016 at 11:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zod View Post
    Poston in 10 miles so you might have missed a loop or two. The spray paint is just a year old...it wears off the trees that fast. Almost every intersection has signs and arrows (unless some have been torn down which happens from time to time). There is also some rogue spray paint out there...I think someone from an adjoining neighborhood painted their own route. But honestly it should be simple to follow if you take a minute to study the map on your first visit. Follow a color, at an intersection the next color will start, follow it to continue or stay on the color you've been on to return. Simple stacked loop concept.

Now that we've been recognized as a National Recreational Trail by Fedzilla we're working on a plan to better sign and blaze the trail. Thanks for riding it while you were in the area!
    Well said. Thanks Zod. You're the greatest. One of these days I'm going to get thru all the sections you built at poston without putting a foot down. That trail system sure is tough.

And whoever the seizmic guy is (I think it's superchubby), you're a really undesirable person! You are ruining the natural vibes of the property!!

mtbr member
    Congrats! And if you haven't already, have a look at tree marking paint for the blazes, its very different from traditional spray paint. You usually have to special order it from a place like Ben Meadows or Forestry Supply but it should last much longer than traditional paint.

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    Thanks Mike. The number of colors we're using makes it challenging because it's hard to find all of them. Currently 6 colors and when the trail system is complete 7 or possibly 8. I think we're going to check with Voss Signs to see if they can make us these in a few custom colors and we should be good.

5" x 7" Reflective Ornage Trailblazer

Marking 10+ miles of trail is quite a job...those who have never done it would not believe what a job it is and how hard it is to get done in a way that nobody gets confused or lost. It's tough to find a best solution.

--- Traditional spray paint is easy to find in many colors and marking is fast BUT it only last about a year.

--- Tree marking paint is not available in as many colors and proper painting takes time (using a brush, scraping bark away, etc.) BUT it last a good while.

--- Reflective blazes can be acquired in the colors we need and likely custom colors, installation is fast, BUT a-holes can rip them down.

The biggest nightmare is mileage signs...the second you do an addition or reroute you have to remeasure everything past that point and move signage. We used to have mileage signs...I will not do it anymore.

mtbr member
    I love Poston since I've found it. A few of those rocky climbs feel so good. Build more!

As for blazes/getting lost; its a trail. If people can't follow trails welp I far underestimated our society.

As for mileage, my GPS is always giving my like 7 miles, so tight and twisty, I'll take your word its 10 :-)

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    Thanks dude, there is still some space to add one more major loop (off Laurel Hill Loop) and maybe one or two minor loops that should get us to a final trail distance of between 13 and 15 miles. We could fit a good 30 miles of trail in there but I hate trail that's all over the top of itself to the point that you feel no solitude in the woods. Plus 10 miles of Poston feels like 20 miles of any other trail in Charlotte anyhow. We should have those final loops completed by next winter. Then we're gonna concentrate of cleaning up some of my design mistakes with reroutes. The dirt merchant crew is going to be adding more berms and jumps as well!

So with the addition of Sasquatch Loop up in the Spencer Mountain Loops we are sitting right at 10 miles (I think someone with a computer said 9.8 miles). Yeah it's hard to get a accurate GPS reading in all those turns but I usually get somewhere around 8.3 to 8.6 miles. Maybe you're missing the Spencer Mountain Loops (if so you're missing the best part)??

mtbr member
    Went back and checked Stravaaaa- 8.8 miles is what I got. I definitely hit Spencer and Sasquatch. I trust your mileage, my time reflects something like that, the distance just doesn't match up with the twists, who cares though.

I love whats going on. Definitely a relief from Charlotte. The only thing I ride my mountain rig at is WWC, besides that I spin the CX out to Sherman or wherever.

Deadrise & Derailleurs
    Poston is 10 miles so you might have missed a loop or two.
    You are correct, I did skip a loop.

There is also some rogue spray paint out there...I think someone from an adjoining neighborhood painted their own route.
    That must be irritating. People should let the people maintaining the trail handle that. Or join the group on a trail building day.

Follow a color, at an intersection the next color will start, follow it to continue or stay on the color you've been on to return. Simple stacked loop concept.
    This was very helpful to reassure me that I was where I should be.

I was a fun trail, in a pretty area. I hope to visit it again. Thanks for all your hard work.
    Charlotte area trails-poston1.jpg
    Charlotte area trails-poston2-450x800-.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Charlotte area trails-poston2.jpg  

Deadrise & Derailleurs

Deadrise & Derailleurs
    As for blazes/getting lost; its a trail. If people can't follow trails welp I far underestimated our society.
    I'll chalk it up to my first time visit, but there were SO many places where people had "blazed" their own path off the main trail that there was some confusion. Unfortunately, the society you have "underestimated" are the *******s who refuse to use the trail someone spent hours of their own time designing/creating and add their own spur section (which are usually inferior to the trail designer's).
    Deadrise & Derailleurs

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    No worries curtiseddie. I think Poston is a you totally get it after about 2-3 rides type trail. We're gonna work on dropping that to first ride though. It's probably hard for me to totally understand how easy or hard it is to follow since I know the woods like the back of my hand. Come back when you're in the area.