Charlotte Area Trails ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Charlotte Area Trails ?

Considering Possible relocation to Charlotte area, currently live in a meca for mountain biking, can anyone provide any guidance as to the mtb riding, and community in the Charlotte area?
    thanks
    fatmarc

Jan 2004

yes....

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarc
    Considering Possible relocation to Charlotte area, currently live in a meca for mountain biking, can anyone provide any guidance as to the mtb riding, and community in the Charlotte area?
    thanks
    fatmarc

charlotte is definitely more than what most expect in terms of mountain biking, i would think. we have a variety of trails here in charlotte itself, then there are more trails a bit farther out there, such as catawba (20-30 mins away) or cane creek park (45-60 mins away). most riders absolutely love catawba, so i would recommend that. a favorite of mine is renaissance park-- not too tecnhical and pretty fast too. if you are relocated near the charlotte sewage treatment plant or the marion diehl senior center, post again, and i will show you the "secret" trails they have back there on either side of tyvola road.
    Last edited by swimmerdude1127; 02-23-2004 at 04:40 AM. Reason: mistake in parentheses

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Lots about charlotte riding here:

smallbrowndog.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    thank folks. I will be in town in May, I will take your recommendations.
    Thanks for the feedback,

Ski during the off-season
    For trails around Charlotte, I second the site mentioned above (smallbrowndown.com)--its run by local shop and lists quite a few local trails. I have not had an chance to ride any yet--I live up in Davidson (north of Charlotte) and have been riding around the campus & on some of their 'trails' (cut out for cross country but open to the public during certain hours).

I have heard good things about a relatively new trail north of Charlotte. I-77 cuts through the middle of down-town Charlotte (starts around mile mark 4 and goes up to mile mark 10 or 12). This newer trail is at mile mark 42. It is on a state park and is being developed by voluteers. Additionally, plans have been announced recently for a mtb in Davidson too.

Jan 2004

hey, which trail?

Quote Originally Posted by journey
    For trails around Charlotte, I second the site mentioned above (smallbrowndown.com)--its run by local shop and lists quite a few local trails. I have not had an chance to ride any yet--I live up in Davidson (north of Charlotte) and have been riding around the campus & on some of their 'trails' (cut out for cross country but open to the public during certain hours).

I have heard good things about a relatively new trail north of Charlotte. I-77 cuts through the middle of down-town Charlotte (starts around mile mark 4 and goes up to mile mark 10 or 12). This newer trail is at mile mark 42. It is on a state park and is being developed by voluteers. Additionally, plans have been announced recently for a mtb in Davidson too.

is that the one at lake norman state park? i think that may be the one youre talking about. if so, i have riden there. i did not enjoy it so much, but it would be super awesome for a really fast race without much technical stuff. it is mostly just flat and fast, no technical sections nor sufficient climbs. in fact, i saw a family riding there with their 4-6 year old son who was probably on his first bike. but for me, i much rather prefer something more technical, and almost as fast with atleast some short climbs.

rob
    slakDawg

What "mecca" of mountain biking are you leaving?

Charlotte has quite a few trails as mentioned, but if you want some serious "mountain" biking, Pisgah National Forest is only 2 hours away. Close enough for a day trip, but even better is to camp for a weekend. Definitely keep tabs on http://www.smallbrowndog.com (not run by any shop, just a local mtb dude). Lots of rides are posted here, rides of all shapes and sizes; from mtn, to trials, to urban, to road, something for everyone.

As far as Western NC riding (Pisgah), check out http://www.mtbikewnc.com or http://www.wncmountaingoatepics.com for more info of those parts.

Also, if you like the longer ride, check out http://www.ratride.com We usually ride most of the local trails in a single day, which ends up being 40-50 (depending on optionals taken) miles of trails (and 100 or so miles on the vehicle) or we'll head up to the mountains and ride several of the trail systems in a single day. Just read the Rat Rides section on the left-hand side.
    Last edited by rob; 02-27-2004 at 08:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the heads up. Coming from the Midatlantic, My house backs up to a park with 75 miles of trails, and there are 3 smaller parks that I can ride to from my house with extensive single track. Great racing scene, Great clubs, and lots of single speeding. Work may having me relocating to NC, Charlotte some I'm in the process of information gathering. Thank you for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by rob
    Charlotte has quite a few trails as mentioned, but if you want some serious "mountain" biking, Pisgah National Forest is only 2 hours away. Close enough for a day trip, but even better is to camp for a weekend. Definitely keep tabs on http://www.smallbrowndog.com (not run by any shop, just a local mtb dude). Lots of rides are posted here, rides of all shapes and sizes; from mtn, to trials, to urban, to road, something for everyone.

As far as Western NC riding (Pisgah), check out http://www.mtbikewnc.com or http://www.wncmountaingoatepics.com for more info of those parts.

Also, if you like the longer ride, check out http://www.ratride.com We usually ride most of the local trails in a single day, which ends up being 40-50 (depending on optionals taken) miles of trails (and 100 or so miles on the vehicle) or we'll head up to the mountains and ride several of the trail systems in a single day. Just read the Rat Rides section on the left-hand side.

mtbr member

If you like racing...

Great racing scene, Great clubs, and lots of single speeding.

Check out www.charlottemtnbike.com

There is a very active racing community in Charlotte. Just finished a 5-race "Short-Track" winter series. During the summer, there is a 20-race series held on Wednesday nights which rotates amongst four local parks. It's a great way to train for the "bigger" AMBC races, also a GREAT way to meet other mountain bikers. The guy that runs these races quit his regular job and does this stuff full-time. He seems to be doing well, too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sweet. Thanks for the information, relocation is a tough call, but knowing there is a good community helps a ton. Thanks for your help.

Slow Guy

Good Stuff, but a question for you

Sweet. Thanks for the information, relocation is a tough call, but knowing there is a good community helps a ton. Thanks for your help.
    You can get a balance of the Urban culture (Charlotte city-proper) along with some great day-trips into beautiful single-track (Pisgah, Bent Creek, DuPont, Cane Creek, etc.). Plus as an added bonus, you can ride all year.

But with 75 miles of backyard delight, why move?

element

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

I want in.

Quote Originally Posted by swimmerdude1127 View Post
    charlotte is definitely more than what most expect in terms of mountain biking, i would think. we have a variety of trails here in charlotte itself, then there are more trails a bit farther out there, such as catawba (20-30 mins away) or cane creek park (45-60 mins away). most riders absolutely love catawba, so i would recommend that. a favorite of mine is renaissance park-- not too tecnhical and pretty fast too. if you are relocated near the charlotte sewage treatment plant or the marion diehl senior center, post again, and i will show you the "secret" trails they have back there on either side of tyvola road.
    Swimmer if you somehow get this message email me. I heard about this trail a while back and haven't been able to find anyone that knows anything about nm64644 @ gmail . com

mtbr member
    appstate: Check out the trailblazers' forums. Do a search for "BYT" (aka, Backyard Trails). People are riding there daily and offering to show people around. They aren't so "secret" anymore, and there are now directional arrows in place at the trail.
    mtbchk.blog.com
    www.dirtdivas.net
    www.tarheeltrailblazers.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Hey Swimmerdude, I am actually relocating to Charlotte next week and I think we are going to be living close to tyvola rd.
    I would be interested in checking out the secret trails once Im settled in..

let me know

thanks
    Derrick

Quote Originally Posted by swimmerdude1127 View Post

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    only need one site for charlotte mtn biking tarheeltrailblazers.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    tarheeltrailblazers.com.....second that. One stop shop!

mtbr member
    not sure why my post got modded, all i said was that BYT is the best trail in the clt metro and (EDIT by Rockcrusher: concerns about a private website) posts rides, can someone explain why that was deleted? or better yet why someone would complain about that.....:???

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    well, clearly you've angered the TC at Fisher Farms

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    I found it distasteful....everybody knows North Meck is the best trail in CLT.

mtbr member
    Last time I was at North Meck I was told to "Clear the trail" by a group of power walkers as they blew past me. BYT has far less people for me to slow down, this is why I say it is the best.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    i just rode byt i agree

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Is byt across from the water treatment plant?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    1/2 of it . . . enter neighborhood across the street, take 1st left into turnoff, see trails, enjoy.