Charlotte Area Riding Question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Charlotte Area Riding Question

Question for the Charlotte locals. I'll be staying in Uptown in Feb, and weather permitting hope to get out and ride at least once. I was thinking of driving up to Kerr Scott, but research shows both Lake Norman and the Whitewater center are noticeably closer. Is Kerr Scott worth driving to from Charlotte? Looks like you would go right by Lake Norman. Not sure how good the Lake Norman or Whitewater trail systems are.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    What type of riding do you prefer? Techy? Flowy? Climby? Warrior Creek is good if you like smooth flowy and TONS of berms. Not much too climby or techy there except for a little loop called headwater which may be difficult to even see right now due to leaf cover.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Charlotte has amazing urban riding. Miles and miles of singletrack right in town. Look up the Tarheel Trailblazers for more info.

BackYard Trails is close-ish to uptown. Its a gem... IMO Its a wast to drive to Kerr Scott and psss up Lake Norman or the White Water Center since they’re close and plenty fun.

Uwharrie Nat’l Forest is also closer to uptown and is great. Much better than Kerr Scott I think.

You could get some great riding in Charlotte proper and never drive more to than 30min. Tons of trails.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    Charlotte has amazing urban riding. Miles and miles of singletrack right in town. Look up the Tarheel Trailblazers for more info.

BackYard Trails is close-ish to uptown. Its a gem... IMO Its a wast to drive to Kerr Scott and psss up Lake Norman or the White Water Center since they’re close and plenty fun.

Uwharrie Nat’l Forest is also closer to uptown and is great. Much better than Kerr Scott I think.

You could get some great riding in Charlotte proper and never drive more to than 30min. Tons of trails.
    This

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Good to know! I'd rather not drive the hour and a half up to Kerr.

It appears the whitewater center may rent bikes. Anyone know if they are legit mountain bikes or more geared for beginners?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by berkshire_rider View Post
    Good to know! I'd rather not drive the hour and a half up to Kerr.

It appears the whitewater center may rent bikes. Anyone know if they are legit mountain bikes or more geared for beginners?
    No, they are good and have a range of bikes. There are fat bikes as well but the trails are tame and there is no need for those. Also, the BackYard Trails are 100% worth it.
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

mtbr member
    I try to hit up the Whitewater Center on occasion when visiting my folks. Great trail system. Bring cash for parking. It was $5.00, I think, last time I was there.
    "Caught my first tube this morning....sir!"

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Believe they bumped it to $6 for parking at WWC. Still worth it since there are so many miles out there. Good variation in trails as well.

Definitely go to the tarheel trailblazers website to check trail locations and open status.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    So, apparently the WWC is closed (not the trails) on Wednesdays this time of year. This includes bike rentals. Wednesday was one of the days I was considering riding there.

Any suggestions for other bike shops close to Uptown that may rent. Trek, maybe?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    So, apparently the WWC is closed (not the trails) on Wednesdays this time of year. This includes bike rentals. Wednesday was one of the days I was considering riding there.

Any suggestions for other bike shops close to Uptown that may rent. Trek, maybe?
    Bike Source would demo, specialized, Santa Cruz

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    You could park at Bike Source and ride to Back YArd trail.... having a tour guide would be a benefit.

Turns right, slides left

Check out South Main Cycles. They have Giant, Santa Cruz and Pivot demo bikes. They are 15 minutes west of Uptown and close to the WWC.

mtbr member
    Bershire; sounds like you're from my neck of the woods. I used to live in CLT. Lots of good advice from folks here, many shops rent so figure out what you want (or want to demo) and you can likely find it.

WWC is a real gem, not just the trails but the whole idea. A shame you can't see it on a Thursday in summer, but trust me the place is super awesome if you're into outdoor rec as a whole and community. They were just finishing the deep water solo wall when I left. My crew is working in NE TN during April and may try to make Tuck Fest.

The urban riding is very cool, I use to link all sorts and have a blast.

Do you like beer? If you like beer the breweries popping up are amazing. I lived in Plaza Midwood so Legion was a walk. But my two favorites were always Wooden Robot and Free Range. There are like 10 others, maybe more by now.

Be sure to get real BBQ if you're into that. I got spoiled with Carolina BBQ.

And not sure you're bigger plans, but Pisgah is a must. If you like traditional New England "XC"; full of tech, not smooth, etc. then you need to get to WNC.

CLT is the piedmont and therefore a lot of stuff is going to be "floweir" than we are use to in New England; just the geology. All old clays (real, red clays) without much rock.

PM me; I travel the 81 corridor and all over the southeast a ton for work so there are many many great places to ride. But CLT still remains a top of mine. A great city, I loved living there. And I grew up in the country, cities never appealed to me.
    Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades.

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    No mention of Poston....what's wrong with you boys? Come over the river, ride the best trail in the Charlotte area. It's open even when everything else is closed also.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Interesting. Does Poston have really sandy soil? The Tarheel Trail Blazers site shows basically everything is closed now, and more rain this week.

How many miles of trails there?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    You could ride poston but it's a mudhole due to freeze/thaw and rain...it stays open rain or shine but doesnt mean it's any any better condition than all the closed trails...

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    Poston is typically in better condition than the Charlotte trails after rain for a number of reasons. The freeze/thaw this year has just a few spots staying slick.

10 miles of trail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by wytemike21 View Post
    You could ride poston but it's a mudhole due to freeze/thaw and rain...it stays open rain or shine but doesnt mean it's any any better condition than all the closed trails...

Please don't take my comment as a knock on poston either, I enjoy riding it

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm in Charlotte this week, and with the current conditions plus tomorrows rain - I doubt the trails will be dry and/or open.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post

Yeah man, big props to the Backyard Trails aka the Poo Trails. I rode out there about a year ago when I was in Charlotte visiting a buddy, and had a blast. Reminded me of stuff I used to ride and help build years ago. Props to whoever built those trails.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Charlotte Area Riding Question-trail-sign.jpg