Charleston - Wannamaker & Marrington?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Charleston - Wannamaker & Marrington?

I will be in Charleston Area the weekend of 1/26 for work. I was hoping to check out a couple of the area MTB spots. From what I can find, it looks like Marrington Plantation & Wannamaker Park are the 2 closest to my hotel.

I am currently scheduled to be in work during daylight hrs. Do either of these places allow night riding? Any organized group rides on Friday or Saturday?

My hotel is really close to the Wannamaker Park entrance on 78 (University Blvd, near the Wirlin Waters Water Park). Can the single track be accessed from here, or do I have to access from the Wannamaker North Trailhead on Westview Blvd?

Thanks for the intel!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I have ridden both while visiting my sister. Marrington is way better. Wannamaker turns on its self so many times it just makes me want to escape. I know its all mental, but I just didn't enjoy it. Marrington is a larger loop and I love the scenery.

I am sure there is a way to jump into the trails at Wannamaker on the south side, but as twisty as that trail is it might be hard to figure out what is going on if you don't enter from the main parking lot on the northside.

Ironically they close the trails pretty easily when its "wet". For me sand trails are better when wet. I have ridden Marrington when it was "closed due to wet" and it was incredible.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mkirby258 View Post
    I will be in Charleston Area the weekend of 1/26 for work. I was hoping to check out a couple of the area MTB spots. From what I can find, it looks like Marrington Plantation & Wannamaker Park are the 2 closest to my hotel.

I am currently scheduled to be in work during daylight hrs. Do either of these places allow night riding? Any organized group rides on Friday or Saturday?

My hotel is really close to the Wannamaker Park entrance on 78 (University Blvd, near the Wirlin Waters Water Park). Can the single track be accessed from here, or do I have to access from the Wannamaker North Trailhead on Westview Blvd?

Thanks for the intel!
    Access via Wannamaker North Trailhead. Twisty, rooty trail; nothing technical. There is also a pump-track there.

The Marrington red loop (+ Amazon) is fairly smooth, again nothing technical outside of a few short drops; very easy to hold tempo. The Foster Creek loop is very rooty.

There's also the Biggin Creek trail in Monck's Corner. It has a mix of features; fairly smooth and twisty, the most elevation change out of any of the Charleston-area trails (short, punchy climbs). It's a fun trail to ride fast ('funnest' trail in the area), but easy to get gassed.

You might want to check the Lowcountry Fat Tire Freaks Facebook page to see whether any group rides are planned, or to drum up an impromptu gathering. Trail closures are also posted on the Facebook page.

Quote Originally Posted by profro View Post
    Ironically they close the trails pretty easily when its "wet". For me sand trails are better when wet. I have ridden Marrington when it was "closed due to wet" and it was incredible.
    All trails are closed for 24 hours following a rain. When it rains, it pours...and the low elevation and high water table poses a problem for drainage. These are all multi-use trails on public lands maintained by the users of the trails, FWIW.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thank you both for the intel! I am hoping to check them out if I get some spare time

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I will be heading down tomorrow for my trip. Looks like I will have the chance to get out Friday evening for a ride.

How are the trails looking in the area? I imagine that conditions are good considering their location & sandy content?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mkirby258 View Post
    I will be heading down tomorrow for my trip. Looks like I will have the chance to get out Friday evening for a ride.

How are the trails looking in the area? I imagine that conditions are good considering their location & sandy content?
    Should be OK. Expecting rain this Sunday so get out on Friday/Saturday if you can.
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    We ended up heading out to Wannamaker after a long day of work. We started at dusk, & rode ~8 miles (burning the lights at the end of the ride).

It was a lot more twisty than I was expecting!

It was great to get in a ride while we were there. Thanks again for the information

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannah Zen View Post
    Love Charleston! The Lowcountry is an awesome place to live, and the downtown is just beautiful!! My friends from out of town keep asking to move here, and ask for my help a lot. Not sure if this applies directly to you, but I thought I'd offer a few resources when moving to Charleston (since it's been on my mind, and I've got to get it off my chest!):

Charleston Chamber of Commercie https://www.charlestonchamber.org/
    Charleston City Hall Charleston, SC - Official Website
    Charleston School District https://www.ccsdschools.com/
    Charleston Water Supply Customers | Charleston Water System, SC - Official Website
    Charleston Electricity and Gas https://www.sceg.com/
    Charleston Waste Management Charleston, SC - Official Website - Garbage Collection
    Charleston Real Estate Guide Charleston Real Estate Guide - Buying or Selling Property in Charleston?

Hope this helps!
    Actually it sucks if you like mountain biking, so I am not sure what your point is. Russian troll now living in Charleston?
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannah Zen View Post
    The Lowcountry is an awesome place to live...
    No, it's not.