Charleston/Summerville trails- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Charleston/Summerville trails

Hello,

Just moved from Arizona and looking for some Single Track or other good trails in the area. Also looking for some groups to ride with once I get back into riding shape. Already love the new landscape change from desert riding. Did some searches here but a lot of the threads are 2007 time frame about trails? I am looking for some possible 5-12 mile trails in the immediate Summerville area for weekday rides before/after work and then some trails up to 1.5 hr trip away for weekends. Read about Fats, and a few others, anyone have some pictures of the terrain/trails they could share? Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by Shady29r; 03-06-2011 at 07:58 AM.

mtbr member

Check out Marrington...

Marrington Plantation, part of the Navy's Goose Creek facility, helped me maintain some sanity during the three years I lived in the LowCountry. Nice trail system (which I understand has been expanded in the five years since I've been back in Pisgah Forest), and some great night rides that will help you avoid the summer's heat and humidity (something they ain't got in AZ!!). You have to apply for a permit to ride the property--the Navy does a background check, etc--so expect a couple week delay getting on the trails, but it's well worth it. Check out the 'gators in Foster Creek for me--looking for their eyes reflecting my helmet light was always a highlight of night rides...
    TZ
    Geriatric mountain biker and trail maintainer... ...with digital braking!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks for the help. Do you have to go to the navy base for the permit? Prior military so should be no problems. Only been here for a few weeks and getting my ride delivered at the end of the week so I want to get it done asap so I can start riding.

mtbr member
    When I was there one went by the rec building and could apply there. I understand that's changed, and don't know the current process. Don Watt--help us here!
    TZ
    Geriatric mountain biker and trail maintainer... ...with digital braking!

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm

The permit system is still in place, you will have to go the OAC on Fletcher Street and fill out the forms and pay the fee, they will then do there magic and in a couple of weeks pick up the pass. They will explain the procedure. In the mean time just come on out and ride, it is very rare that anyone is ever asked for their pass, but better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

The red loop is now at 13.5 miles and Foster Creek adds another 4.5 with construction currently underway to add another 1.5 to that, so you can get a 17 mile loop in or increase that by varying your route. Maps are available at the Trailhead.

We have a Yahoo Group that is used for communication between riders, I suggest you sign up, Low Country Fat Tire Freaks is the group. Send me your email address and I can add you to it. You can get me at [email protected], or give me a call at 640-4267 and I will be glad to answer any questions.

Don Watts
    Trail Builder, Trail Rider,and Trail Protector

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by donwatts
    In the mean time just come on out and ride, it is very rare that anyone is ever asked for their pass, but better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Don Watts
    Believe me...get your pass first!!!! I was banned from those trails for life when I was caught riding without a pass.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks again for all the help. I plan on trying to find the OAC this week. Is there anything small and in this local area to get my fix until that comes through?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    We just moved to Goose Creek as my wife is in the Navy. Does that permit apply to us? I wasn't told anything about a permit and have been to Marrington. I'm currently in the process of buying my first mountain bike. Are the trails the newb friendly?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    You should be fine but it is worth checking out. I don't think there will be a delay for a current mil personnel. You would probably be fine with your id.
    Don, I have heard and seen horror stories when people get checked. It really depends on the person checking you and such.

DHPete I hate to hear that, I enjoyed trail building with you out there. It is a shame that someone that actually took part in trail maintenance and truly cared about the grounds would get such a kick in the nuts.

Marrington is great btw!

Also K3 in Sumter area,Race there this weekend being held by the Trek Shoppe in Mt. Pleasant., and Harbison in the Columbia are a lot of fun for the road trip days. I also have a forum at http://www.reticentcomplicity.com/di...cussion_board/ It is a small group of guys but we love to ride. If you want to become a member shoot me an email streamline.by.design at gmail, I get a ton of bots that try to join so an email works best.

I am currently in the Greenville area, so if you want to drive a bit further look me up.
    Sometimes your the windshield, other times just the bug. That's life. (c:
    Mountain Biking Apparel

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I took a ride over today and the sign just says you need to register for hunting and fishing. It doesn't say anything about biking or anything else. I also went all the way down by the park and took a left down the dirt road. About 2 miles down there is a little rest area/ place to kayak! Sweet!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    It is a rule of the base. You do have to be registered to legally ride there. A friend of mine, first ride lol, was drilled for 1.5 hours by to MP's and they made them ride from the dirt road back to the main parking where the proceeded to pull everything out of his car and preached at him about coming on to military property with out proper id and permission blah blah blah. I felt so bad for him because I said what Don said, "Go ahead, they never check and as long as you can prove you applied you should be fine."
    Mountain Biking Apparel

mtbr member
    Since this joint basing fiasco has taken effect, no one knows what the hell to do. Most of the security guys could care less, the Air Force guys are a different story. If you have a DOD Id you do not need a pass. If you go apply you can ride with your receipt. When the security guys are bored they tend to seek out and harass those that they think they can.
    Sorry the guy was harassed. Just goes to show that the terrorist have won when people riding bikes in the woods are suspect.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Tell me about it Don. I personally still suggest riding there to anyone but only with a pass. To many horror stories as of late for perma-bans and just plain bullying. I also realize and appreciate that it is a privilege for civilians, even though we do fund it with out tax money ;-), to even be able to ride there. I love the property and it is a great place to ride and build fitness.
    Mountain Biking Apparel

Single Speed Junkie
    Jan 2008

Apply by mail??

Is there any way to apply by mail? I visit my dad in Moncks Corner and I would like to take my son to ride (he's 12). We never stay longer than a few days though. Also, how long is a pass good for?

Thanks,
    Mike

mtbr member
    No I am afraid they won't make it that easy, you have to personally go and apply and pay the 10 bucks, pass is good for a year. A letter campaign to the local congressional representative might get some changes.

Members who have read this thread: 0