• 05-21-2011
    mtbdee
    Charleston Sout Carolina Trails?
    Hey all,

My folks will be moving to Charleston later this summer from CT. I'm pretty psyched to be able to head south during the winter for a few weeks. I spent ~ 5 years in NC (Winston Salem/Greensboro) and know some nice riding in that neck of the woods but I am looking to see if there is any sort of riding scene in and around Charleston. Types of trails, XC, FR stuff, and is it worth driving down with a bike or should I just fly down, rent a beach cruiser and chill out and enjoy some warmer weather? ;) Any info is appreciated!

Thanks,
    Brendan
  • 05-21-2011
    Cycling_Chick
    Haven't tried to ride down there in years so I can't really say but, totally off topic congrats on your shop! Glad to see you enjoying life, very nice. If you do visit sunny SC in winter do realize that will break your cross mojo!
    Oh yeah, I guess it would help if I explained that we both worked at the same shop and rode what little trails Winston-Salem / Greensboro had to offer back then :thumbsup:
  • 05-21-2011
    MountainMan864
    Mostly road biking. James Island prob has some trails.
  • 05-21-2011
    Jwind
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MountainMan864
    Mostly road biking. James Island prob has some trails.

Pretty sure that's about it in terms of anything local...
  • 05-22-2011
    TrailZen
    Search for Marrington...
    Check this:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ght=marrington

or use the handy 'search' function for 'marrington' or 'charleston'...
    TZ
  • 05-22-2011
    mtbdee
    Thanks for the tip re: Marrington, sounds like there is some nice riding in there. I will look into the pass to ride on the trails, wouldn't want to get harassed on vacation! From the other thread it sounds like you are good to ride with the receipt so it sounds like a plan. Funny thing is we can ride at Otis AFB on Cape Cod with no issues (there were some security restrictions immediately after 9/11 though).

Hope - thanks for the kind words! The shop is chugging along, even with all the lousy weather we've had up here the last few weeks. I gotta swing by Paul's Schwinn if I drive down and stay at my brother's place in Winston.
  • 05-22-2011
    donmeredith74
    MtbDee - you might want to schedule a day trip to FATS in Augusta. Its one of the IMBA epic trails and definitely deserves that rating. There's also a rails to trails system down in West Ashley (across the river from Charleston proper) as I recall. I'd recommend calling Half Moon or Mike's Bikes down there for the full scoop. Feel free to drop me a line if you have any specific questions about Charleston... I lived down there 5 years or so. Great little town.
  • 05-22-2011
    donwatts
    Marrington
    Greetings
    I am the trails manager at Marrington, we have 19 miles of singletrack located on the Joint Base Weapons(Used to be the Naval Weapons Station) so bring your bike. Don't sweat the pass thing, unless your going to be here for a year, let me know when your coming out and maybe we can ride together and with a few others.

Apparently MountainMan864 doesn't get out much.

Contact me for any questions.

Don
  • 05-22-2011
    donmeredith74
    Don, quality move on the southern hospitality. *thumbsup*
  • 05-23-2011
    mtbdee
    Quote:

Originally Posted by donwatts
    Greetings
    I am the trails manager at Marrington, we have 19 miles of singletrack located on the Joint Base Weapons(Used to be the Naval Weapons Station) so bring your bike. Don't sweat the pass thing, unless your going to be here for a year, let me know when your coming out and maybe we can ride together and with a few others.

Don

Cool! Thanks for the invite. I'll shoot you a PM before I head down this winter.

Thanks,
    Brendan
  • 05-24-2011
    MountainMan864
    I dont live in Charleston, have several buddies who live there. Only go down there to pound beers and chicks.
  • 05-24-2011
    RDTigger
    Quote:

Originally Posted by donwatts
    Greetings

Don

Is there a group site for people getting together to hit the trails at Marrington?
  • 05-24-2011
    WickedGood
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MountainMan864
    I dont live in Charleston, have several buddies who live there. Only go down there to pound beers and chicks.

Now you can pound trails, too. What more could you ask for?
  • 05-24-2011
    donwatts
    We have a Yahoo group and a facebook page. Look for Low Country Fat Tire Freaks
  • 05-26-2011
    Let's Ride
    Quote:

Originally Posted by donwatts View Post
    Greetings

Don

I'll be down there for a week in June. I plan on getting in at least two rides.

Do I need to register in any way? Or can I just park and ride?
  • 05-26-2011
    RDTigger
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Let's Ride View Post
    I'll be down there for a week in June. I plan on getting in at least two rides.

Do I need to register in any way? Or can I just park and ride?

What week in june? Been thinking of hitting Charleston up. I am about an hour north on HWY 17. There's a trail north of my by 30 minutes. Link in my signature

Love the Benny Hill avatar!
  • 05-26-2011
    foxphotog
    I rode Marrington today, I thought it was great. There is a cool dirt jump bmx section at Dons Crossing, very cool place to ride. Thanks to Don Watts.
  • 05-26-2011
    donwatts
    Just park and ride
  • 05-26-2011
    donwatts
    Your welcome, I like Sierra Nevada Torpedo.
  • 05-26-2011
    go-pirates
    Not sure about trails in Charleston, but the surfing, awesome food, great bars, and nice scenery (blondes, brunettes, redheads) could certainly keep a guy busy. Just sayin'...