Cart trail DuPont?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Cart trail DuPont?

I've passed it several times but never ridden it or even really heard it brought up..... what's the deal with this trail? Hard? Sucks? Both lol.....

mtbr member
    Short and steep. I like it. Best to ride from Mine Mountain to Laurel. Otherwise you'll probably be pushing.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Thank you, I was there last week and thought about it but I was coming from CMS to laurel... glad I didn't because by the time I made it back to the truck at Lake Imaging I was toast....

RDO
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I agree with Mr. Parrish about going from Mine Mountain to Laurel. Problem is I like lower Mine Mountain + Laurel too much to ever do it more than once. That said, last year there was lot of pinesap growing on the side of Cart about 50 yards in from Mine Mountain. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monotropa_hypopitys. Cool if you're interested in that kind of thing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I've taken it a few times when I needed to cut a ride short, otherwise take laurel to MM. Really short and you are basically hopping over the ridge whereas laurel hugs the contour line around the ridge.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ElBorracho62 View Post
    I've passed it several times but never ridden it or even really heard it brought up..... what's the deal with this trail? Hard? Sucks? Both lol.....
    Uh, if I"m not mistaken, isn't this like one of two or three trails in DuPont that are closed to bikes?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbwnc View Post
    Uh, if I"m not mistaken, isn't this like one of two or three trails in DuPont that are closed to bikes?
    Nope. Open to bikes. Only trails closed to bikes in Dupont are near High Falls.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    Nope. Open to bikes. Only trails closed to bikes in Dupont are near High Falls.

That's a change then. I always thought Cart would be fine for bikes; wasn't sure why it was closed. Is Stone Mountain still hike-only? Last I checked was in 2012...

RDO
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I think only the upper part of Stone Mountain is closed to bikes. Not looking at a map now, but that's what I remember from about a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbwnc View Post
    That's a change then. I always thought Cart would be fine for bikes; wasn't sure why it was closed. Is Stone Mountain still hike-only? Last I checked was in 2012...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RDO View Post
    I think only the upper part of Stone Mountain is closed to bikes. Not looking at a map now, but that's what I remember from about a year ago.
    DuPont trails open to all unless sign says otherwise. You couldn't ride upper Stone Mountain even if you tried, I have been told. Way too rugged and steep.

RDO
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I just checked the latest map (National Geo) that FODF sent me. The legend (black dots) says hiking only. I have hiked it and you're right, it would be a nightmare on a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    DuPont trails open to all unless sign says otherwise. You couldn't ride upper Stone Mountain even if you tried, I have been told. Way too rugged and steep.

mtbr member
    The FODF map that I have on Avenza Maps shows Stone Mtn as hiking only from half way until the top. The Pisgah Map Company Map that I have doesn't show any restrictions. I have ridden (and carried) my bike up to the top, and then attempted to ride back down, There is one point that is especially hard to ride even down, but just a short section. Going up, that section was much longer :-)

I didn't realize there were restrictions at the time, and didn't see any signs as such.

Cart trail DuPont?-stone-mountain.jpg
    2019 Yeti SB150
    2017 YT Jeffsy AL Two 29
    2011 Trek Rumblefish 1

mtbr member
    I was just on Cart trail Thursday. Along the entire trail are signs on trees that show it is open to hike, bike, and horse. Entire trail is open to bikes. And horses. And humans.