Carolina Youth Mountain Bike League This Weekend!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Carolina Youth Mountain Bike League This Weekend!

This Sunday 17th will be the first event for the Carolina Youth Mountain Bike League! The weather is looking good so pack up the family and come out to support these up and coming riders! The event this weekend will be at Falling Creek Camp - Tuxedo, NC.

Category (Age) Approximate race time
    6 & Under = 2-5 minutes
    7/8 = 15-30 minutes
    9/10 = 30-45 minutes
    11/12 = 40-60 minutes
    13/14 = 50-75 minutes
    15/16 = 60-90 minutes
    17/18 = 70-90 minutes

For more information go to www.cymbl.org
    Last edited by Along For The Ride; 04-11-2011 at 04:57 PM.

mtbr member
    How about a race-day schedule?

I see 'all races start a 9' but what about check-in / registration, any chances to pre-ride or inspect the course, etc... What time do you expect things to wrap-up for the day?

thanks!
    many gears, some pies

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Just found out that my 6 year old ages up to the 7-8 group. He's gonna hate that. Oh, and now I have to pay for 2

We'll be there, and it's gonna be a blast.

Tim

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

CYMBL Schedule

The schedule for Sunday's race is now posted on the website. We've got some great things going on including a clinic on Hydration and Nutrition, hosted by Tristan Cowie and Wes Dickson from Sycamore Cycles and a Bunny Hop demo by Tristan Cowie. We'll also be holding a skinny contest where riders will test their balance by riding a wood plank that gets skinny. It should be a good time for all! We will have baked goods and drinks available for sale but you may want to bring a lunch if you plan on spending the day.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    If someone's pre-registered, do they still need to be there at 8? How late can they check in? I have two racing with the 7 and 8 year-olds.
    Thanks.
    Tim

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Registration closes 30 minutes before category race start

Registration will be open all day and will close 30 minutes before each category start. So you can pick up your stuff as late as 10:30 to make it in time for the 11AM start for 7/8 year olds. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Team Martin
    We'll be there!

drunken pirate
    Bump for a good cause
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

pronounced may-duh
    Gets on soapbox

I'm not sure everybody fully understands the impact of kids racing. When kids race their parents are forced to be interested in a sport that they may not have any interest in. I'm not talking about your kids. I'm talking about the kids of the people who don't ride and don't read MTBR. When those kids race, they pull in support and advocacy and money from untapped areas, Kids racing can have a HUGE impact on our sport. Imagine parents that don't even ride bikes getting involved in trail building so their kids can have a place to race. Imagine those same parents spending money at our bike shops. Look at the leagues in northern and southern CA. Their success is unprecedented. Please support kids racing in NC, we can do the same great things here.

Team Martin
    Please support kids racing in the Carolinas, we can do the same great things here.
    Fixed it for you!

And I agree if this thing gains traction it could have a very positive impact on the MTBing scene in the Carolinas & beyond! Hopefully if all goes well we can include some venues in S. Carolina so the league will truly live up to its name

mtbr member
    I am assuming you can register race day? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Wow! Just got back home and have to give big props to the CYMBL folks. I know that there are other options for juniors to race at the 'adult' races, but it was so nice to have a whole day set aside just for the kids - and all the age groups had decent sized fields. This was my daughter's first and she's so jazzed about racing and riding now, she fell asleep in the back seat with a big grin on her face!
    We're really looking forward to the rest of the series!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    CYMBL folks did an OUTSTANDING job with the races today . My kids loved it. They can't wait for the next race. Thank you for putting this on!
    Tim

mtbr member

good times

+1^10

Well organized, smoothly run, lots of support for the riders during the race. Looking forward to May's race already.
    many gears, some pies

Drinker w/ Riding Problem

Great Job CYMBL

Great Job to Todd & Heather and the Fall Creek Camp staff Great First Race!

This was my son's first ever mtbr race, and he loved it! missed the podium because of a flat on the last lap. he was on 2nd's wheel every lap and last lap pinched on the upper ridgeline... thanks to whomever pumped enough air to get him to the finish to make 4th place

Good Times for sure, nothing better in the world than seeing kids riding their bikes and having fun

Photos posted on Flickr (help yourselves to what i've got) sorry we didn't stick around for the Big Kids or the Tiny kids races, we had to head to Brevard to pick my new ride

Photos Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/brado1/...th/5632178862/

<iframe align="center" src="http://www.flickr.com/slideShow/index.gne?group_id=&[email protected]&set_id=721 57626526000006&tags=Cars,Lotus,Exige" frameBorder="0" width="800" height="800" scrolling="no"></iframe><br/><small>Created with <a href="http://www.admarket.se" title="Admarket.se">Admarket's</a> <a href="http://flickrslidr.com" title="flickrSLiDR">flickrSLiDR</a>.</small>

Next year let's see if we can't Get some South Carolina locations added to the Series!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Awesome pics! Thanks!

Support Pisgah Area Soba
    Pisgah Area Sorba - Web Site Communications
    http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Logover View Post
    We'll be there.
    My daughter lives for these races.

mtbr member
    I'm going to get a fake ID and enter the 7-8 race. I need a class I can be competitive in.

Seriously, this sounds like a great event. Too bad I don't have any kids. And my dog has not yet learned how to operate the brakes on his bike.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    I'm going to get a fake ID and enter the 7-8 race. I need a class I can be competitive in.

Seriously, this sounds like a great event. Too bad I don't have any kids. And my dog has not yet learned how to operate the brakes on his bike.
    I think they're still looking for volunteers - even if you're progeny challenged

Seriously, it's a blast watching the kids race - especially the younger ones! Come on out and check it out.

on a side note... we'll be up tomorrow sometime early - can anyone recommend some kid friendly trails in the vicinity of Bent Creek (10-15min.) to stretch our legs, since we won't be able to pre-ride the course until Sunday morning? We do most of our riding in Greensboro - anything similar? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quick 15 min to stretch out the legs at BC-
    Park at junction of 479 and Campground Connector. Up gated gravel Rd. across from parking. R on Boyd Branch Trail at picnic tables. R on 479 back to car (watch for traffic at junction!). Quick and easy. If you need a map, there have been some stocked in the kiosks at the main parking lots.
    Hope that helps.

Tim

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    On a side note- these races rock!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by timdvm View Post
    Quick 15 min to stretch out the legs at BC-
    Park at junction of 479 and Campground Connector. Up gated gravel Rd. across from parking. R on Boyd Branch Trail at picnic tables. R on 479 back to car (watch for traffic at junction!). Quick and easy. If you need a map, there have been some stocked in the kiosks at the main parking lots.
    Hope that helps.

Tim
    Thanks - we'll try it!

Support Pisgah Area Soba
    Last race of the series this weekend.
    Pisgah Area Sorba - Web Site Communications
    http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/

Members who have read this thread: 0