Is Carolina Fatz 2.0 in trouble?- Mtbr.com
    It's too hot! SuperModerator

Is Carolina Fatz 2.0 in trouble?

Jason left, half the shop is closed off, not many new bikes on the floor, and last time I was there, it felt kind of lonely and forgotten?

Will the shop survive or will it slowly go out of business?

I bought my first new bike there in 2015.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    It's not exactly prime time for most bike shops right now, especially with the winter we've had. It does feel like the bike shop market around here is getting a bit saturated, though, but most shops I've been in lately felt a bit empty.

In similar news, I've been told by several folks that Bailey Mountain is in trouble, as well. Anyone have any info there or is that nonsense?

Big Mac
    Circling the drain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    The bicycle industry overall is hurting right now, thanks to many factors, including 10% tariffs on all China imports for both complete bikes and parts/accessories and the continued rise of consumer direct purchasing options.

Fatz, however, is- in a good way- like the cockroach of bike shops. It always seems to figure out a way to survive. Anyone else besides me and 65 remember when they also sold hockey equipment? Also, Jason retired, that's a big difference from "left."

Don't count them out yet.

since 4/10/2009
    I drive by there with some regularity and they don't seem to be hurting too bad. when they're open, there are almost always cars in the lot (that aren't the usual ones I assume to be staff). a friend of a friend (from Hawaii) started working there back in the fall.

I should probably revisit the place. had an experience with one of the employees a little over a year ago that pissed me off (a simple customer service issue) so I've been going elsewhere lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    Also, Jason retired, that's a big difference from "left."
    After speaking to one of their employees, retired is the official story.

Big Mac
    Yup, I remember the hockey gear. I think Jason played hockey. Jason was the glue that held that shop together. Whoever bought it, and is running it, has dropped the ball. This past summer, my wife was looking for a new bike. A carbon tall boy was on her list. Not only did they not have it, as they were “phasing” Santa Cruz out, they talked big smack about Santa Cruz. They pushed her towards the one Rocky Mountain they had in the shop. Unfortunately they didn’t know shit about it. The whole experience was pretty pitiful. Another piece of trivia: anybody remember when Malcolm opened the original and where it was?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Another piece of trivia: anybody remember when Malcolm opened the original and where it was?
    Malcolm is an OG of WNC riding for sure. Dude can still slay harder than most riders half his age. His trail in Bent Creek is still the best trail out there.

What about Bio Wheels? Anyone old enough to remember that shop?
    On your left!

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    Malcolm is an OG of WNC riding for sure. Dude can still slay harder than most riders half his age. His trail in Bent Creek is still the best trail out there.

What about Bio Wheels? Anyone old enough to remember that shop?
    I remember bio wheels for sure. That guy is still around too. Anybody recall their original location? I saw Malcom recently at a local eatery, and we talked about the irony of eating where his original shop was. Nobody remember that location?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It was near the Old Hot Dog King located in the K Mart Plaza across from the Asheville Mall.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by wncbiker View Post
    It was near the Old Hot Dog King located in the K Mart Plaza across from the Asheville Mall.
    That’s right. Pretty much where Neo Burrito is. First dedicated MTB shop I’m the area.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yep, they were a Bridgestone dealer. I use to stop by there to look at the MB1.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by wncbiker View Post
    Yep, they were a Bridgestone dealer. I use to stop by there to look at the MB1.
    That’s right. And a fat chance dealer too. I ogled over the yo eddy many a time. Never bought a bike from Malcolm, but bought a lot of stuff there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Too bad to hear Fatz is going that direction, always liked the place. When Jason relaunched 2.0, after the failed takeover from the parent company, I designed their new logo. I haven't been in there in over a year.

He worked with me to get my son's first bike when the original Fatz was still rolling. He was great, once you got used to the "in your personal space" talking, lol.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by leadfoot321 View Post
    Too bad to hear Fatz is going that direction, always liked the place. When Jason relaunched 2.0, after the failed takeover from the parent company, I designed their new logo. I haven't been in there in over a year.

He worked with me to get my son's first bike when the original Fatz was still rolling. He was great, once you got used to the "in your personal space" talking, lol.
    Lol. He wasn’t called “ass pat” for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by leadfoot321 View Post
    He was great, once you got used to the "in your personal space" talking, lol.
    Seriously!

Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Lol. He wasn’t called “ass pat” for nothing.

Yeah, who does that!?