Carolina Breeze- Mtbr.com

Thread: Carolina Breeze

mtbr member

Carolina Breeze

Please correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like there's been another instance of a wanted person ambushing a mtb rider and stealing their bike. My wife and I are avid riders and very interested in moving back to this part of the country but are just a bit concerned about this. What's your take? Just an anomaly in an otherwise peaceful and safe area?
    Thanks!

Big Mac
    I only recall the one, from last year. Whatís the second one? Havenít heard anything about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    My take is that, in general, it's a waste of time to spend life letting fear of the unknown and uncontrollable dictate our choices.

Easier said then done, I know, but that's my take.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    My take is that, in general, it's a waste of time to spend life letting fear of the unknown and uncontrollable dictate our choices.

Easier said then done, I know, but that's my take.
    I tend to follow this one, too, for the most part.

Any place is going to get people of all types. Including criminals. I've spent a decent amount of time living in larger cities. I'm not some naive fool who leaves everything unlocked. I also pay attention to what other people around me are doing almost constantly. "People watching" is a valuable assessment skill.

As for OP's vague mention of an incident in the area, all I saw was a vague mention from the Transylvania County Sheriff's Office (reposted by the USFS on Facebook) about how the two agencies partnered up "in the prevention of a potential domestic threat of violence in Pisgah National Forest" but no clear description of what actually happened.

EAT MORE GRIME
    when is the last time you were stuck by lighting ? that is about how much you should worry about it
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

Big Mac
    Iím of a similar mindset. I spend a lot of time in the woods. I always try to be aware of whatís going on around me, but Iím certainly not paralyzed by fear. Typically doesnít even cross my mind. I will say that riding solo down white pines road can be creepy at times. Wash creek too. But I did it. And often. All in all, I feel happy and safe out there.

It's too hot! SuperModerator
    Ah heck, bear spray them if they come, then bomb it downhill.

mtbr member
    Thanks to all that responded. My wife and I both read an article online Saturday morning and were discussing it as we really like the area. Now, neither of us can locate it. Not sure if it was erroneous and pulled or what. Id like to delete this thread if I knew how and sorry for the bother!

mtbr member
    I was at Pisgah the day of the bike jacking. In fact, the guy whoís bike was stolen was talking to the cop right as I pulled into the lot. That was a freaky day. Cops with AR 15s on Avery Creek rd. convinced us to go ride somewhere else that day.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Co Springs
    There have been a few instances in this area, bike jacking/s, an unsolved murder in a popular trail system / riding area and plenty of meth-head sightings and Police involvement with them at other riding areas here. Some are off-the grid homeless issues and maybe not dangerous but certainly questionable behaviors, trying doors on cars in lots etc...
    Being heads-up about where/when you ride or checking in about specific areas if unfamiliar seems sensible.

Glad there doesn't sound like much to it though ... peace of mind isn't a bad thing on a bike ride.

bachman must spread some Reputation around before giving it to himself again. :madman:

mtbr member
    I was around in the woods that day. The incident started outside the forest as a criminal pursuit after the person was identified as a burglary suspect (and long time criminal). He fled into the forest, blocked the road with his vehicle, and took a bike at gunpoint. He later killed a local resident and took his truck, and was apprehended soon after (I'm pretty sure I got all the facts straight). Basically just a crime of chance and convenience (and desperation), not even out to get a bike specifically.
    That was nearly 2 years ago, and I ride about every weekend up in the woods. I'm not aware of any other incidents where a bike was forcefully taken from anyone, but please chime in if anyone knows of one. I honestly don't worry about that at all. I'm much more concerned with bears and snakes. In fact, as usage has increased over the last couple decades, it seems that there are fewer shady characters throughout the forest since there are more hikers/bikers/campers/families/etc. I remember years ago areas where the "campers" looked as if they had been "camping" in spots for months....
    The worst problems are car break ins if items are left in view or cars are left unlocked ,as far as I can tell.
    "Get busy living, or get busy dying"

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride-beer-rinse-repeat View Post
    The worst problems are car break ins if items are left in view or cars are left unlocked ,as far as I can tell.
    Hell, that happens everywhere, too.

It has happened to people I know pretty much everywhere I've lived, whether it was a small town or a big city. Some places I've lived have had major problems with trailhead breakins from professional itinerant thieves.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Shartacular Spectacular
    To the OP, if youíre worried best practice would be to simply bear mace every pedestrian that approaches on the trail, with an extra few seconds on the trigger for those that appear out of breath or of a sinister disposition.

Better safe than sorry, AmIrightguys?
    18í SC Bronson Carbon
    Grip2, Reserve 27's, i9's, Float X2

18' SC V10.6
    Grip2, We Are One: The Outlier, i9's, Avy Woodie

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride-beer-rinse-repeat View Post
    I remember years ago areas where the "campers" looked as if they had been "camping" in spots for months....
    On some roads, still the case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post

speaking of...anyone ever get a story on that popup camper that sat along bent creek gap rd that was full of all the clothes and junk all winter? did it finally get removed? looked like someone dumped it there. haven't been up there since a couple weeks before the grading/graveling started.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    speaking of...anyone ever get a story on that popup camper that sat along bent creek gap rd that was full of all the clothes and junk all winter? did it finally get removed? looked like someone dumped it there. haven't been up there since a couple weeks before the grading/graveling started.

Still there when I was last there 3/31, been going to Mills a lot more than BC so no clue since then.

mtbr member

Yeah - I still run across the occasional questionable site, but it seems to be much better than in the past.
    "Get busy living, or get busy dying"

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by Shartist View Post
    To the OP, if youíre worried best practice would be to simply bear mace every pedestrian that approaches on the trail, with an extra few seconds on the trigger for those that appear out of breath or of a sinister disposition.

Better safe than sorry, AmIrightguys?
    So right !!

OP- " just a bit concerned Ö.. or just and anomaly ?"

I'm not seeing paralysis, alarmist outcry or doomsayer ideas here Ö must be a slow news day ? LOL

bachman must spread some Reputation around before giving it to himself again. :madman:

Big Mac
    I think itís still there. That thing is creepy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    I was at Pisgah the day of the bike jacking. In fact, the guy whoís bike was stolen was talking to the cop right as I pulled into the lot. That was a freaky day. Cops with AR 15s on Avery Creek rd. convinced us to go ride somewhere else that day.
    I, too, was riding in Pisgah that day. I had already finished riding when all that went down.

My wife and I ended up having a couple of beers with that guy and his buddy he was riding with at The Hub after he was interviewed by police. Came in and sat next to us and everyone at the bar was amazed at how cool and collected he was after sharing his experience...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Going up Old toll to heartbreak, through the bear camp (I hope) shanty towns was creepy AF. Especially since I was bonking at the time and was well behind my group. It was like those wildlife videos where they attack the stray unable to keep up with the herd.

mtbr member
    I hadn't heard much about that case, so I googled it. Seems that it still has not gone to trial.

https://www.blueridgenow.com/news/20...n-murder-trial

I am not a big fan of the death penalty, but I sure hope this SOB never sees the outside of a jail again.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matty22c View Post
    Going up Old toll to heartbreak, through the bear camp (I hope) shanty towns was creepy AF. Especially since I was bonking at the time and was well behind my group. It was like those wildlife videos where they attack the stray unable to keep up with the herd.
    While riding up, I've encountered some really creepy folk driving down Old Toll. Some of those old shacks look like meth labs.

since 4/10/2009
    I once encountered legit sasquatch hunters when I was on a ride in Indiana. there were guns EVERYWHERE. thank goodness they were nice enough and talked to a bunch of the hundred or so mountain bikers who rolled past their camp that day.

On this ride here:

https://www.strava.com/activities/410428173

Right at the top of the little steep AF gravel climb.

mtbr member
    https://www.strava.com/activities/410428173

Right at the top of the little steep AF gravel climb.
    Ha ha. Steep.

https://strava.app.link/6mzCyrZ6KV

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    I didn't say it was big. just steep.

mtbr member
    I didn't say it was big. just steep.
    But I only see 200 feet of elevation in 1/4 mile. That's not a lot relative to our area.

...or maybe it is. 1320/200*100 = 15 % grade.

since 4/10/2009
    But I only see 200 feet of elevation in 1/4 mile. That's not a lot relative to our area.

...or maybe it is. 1320/200*100 = 15 % grade.
    No, it isn't a lot relative to here. The goal of that ride was just to take event pics, anyway. It was a small part of a much bigger event with official route options up to 100mi. And if not for this long, flat stretch, would avg over 1,000ft/mi. Most don't expect that much climbing in that part of the country.

It just doesn't come in sustained climbs. It comes in lots of little 100-300ft climbs over and over and over.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bachman1961 View Post
    So right !!

OP- " just a bit concerned Ö.. or just and anomaly ?"

I'm not seeing paralysis, alarmist outcry or doomsayer ideas here Ö must be a slow news day ? LOL

Guys,
    I frequently work in some of the worst neighbor hoods in Los Angeles and have seen a lot. You are joking here but you would might be surprised at what some individuals are capable of. I don't know your neck of the woods, just trying to get a feel for it.

mtbr member
    While riding up, I've encountered some really creepy folk driving down Old Toll. Some of those old shacks look like meth labs.
    Please remember that when on Old Toll Road and you see those folks, it is only by their good graces we are allowed to use that route. It is their private property; smile, wave, and have some friendly talk.

The bear camp and the property around it is owned by...a bear hunting club. The two other structure areas are literally homesteads; until a few years ago, the first one with the spring past it still had folks living in it. A good friend worked with one of their children, the people living in it were third generation on the property, great grandparents original homesteaders.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasper View Post
    Guys,
    I frequently work in some of the worst neighbor hoods in Los Angeles and have seen a lot. You are joking here but you would might be surprised at what some individuals are capable of. I don't know your neck of the woods, just trying to get a feel for it.
    I've seen it over and over again where people assume poor/run down areas are inherently dangerous.

Co Springs
    I've seen it over and over again where people assume poor/run down areas are inherently dangerous.
    I assume you mean to say we should all be 'heads up' everywhere all the time?

I feel being a bit unobjective is kind of like target fixation. Living in or being in a nicer area and letting your guard down is open season IMO.
    Bad things can happen anywhere anytime. I know some want to joke about being paranoid, but being real is pretty easy these days with crime as a lead story and news available all the time.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bachman1961 View Post
    I assume you mean to say we should all be 'heads up' everywhere all the time?

I feel being a bit unobjective is kind of like target fixation. Living in or being in a nicer area and letting your guard down is open season IMO.
    Bad things can happen anywhere anytime. I know some want to joke about being paranoid, but being real is pretty easy these days with crime as a lead story and news available all the time.
    In short, I meant that a lot of people draw poor conclusions about where risk is higher and especially what they should be concerned about.

I have ridden in cars with people who freak out about locking the car doors as soon as they get into "that" neighborhood, but leave everything unlocked at home all the time. I have ridden bicycles with people who get jumpy just riding through specific neighborhoods and panic about people just going about their daily business in those places, but don't notice the areas in wealthier areas where a mugger could easily hide along the greenway behind the landscaping so they could surprise you and steal your bike/wallet/whatever.

So in some respects, yes, it is about being always aware. But beyond that, it is about being able to judge risk more accurately.

Honestly, I have found people in poor neighborhoods to be FAR friendlier to people riding through on a bicycle. People in wealthier neighborhoods often never spend time in their yards, don't even acknowledge passersby when they do, and drive aggressively down the streets.

Now, if I see a shack along the road with purple blazes on the trees, I GTFO. But it's the purple blazes I don't mess with. People who use that sort of marker tend to be a bit aggressive about their property and don't tend to be very sociable.

Co Springs
    In short, I meant that a lot of people draw poor conclusions about where risk is higher and especially what they should be concerned about.

I have ridden in cars with people who freak out about locking the car doors as soon as they get into "that" neighborhood, but leave everything unlocked at home all the time. I have ridden bicycles with people who get jumpy just riding through specific neighborhoods and panic about people just going about their daily business in those places, but don't notice the areas in wealthier areas where a mugger could easily hide along the greenway behind the landscaping so they could surprise you and steal your bike/wallet/whatever.

So in some respects, yes, it is about being always aware. But beyond that, it is about being able to judge risk more accurately.

Honestly, I have found people in poor neighborhoods to be FAR friendlier to people riding through on a bicycle. People in wealthier neighborhoods often never spend time in their yards, don't even acknowledge passersby when they do, and drive aggressively down the streets.

Now, if I see a shack along the road with purple blazes on the trees, I GTFO. But it's the purple blazes I don't mess with. People who use that sort of marker tend to be a bit aggressive about their property and don't tend to be very sociable.

Yeah, I get it. For sure, perceptions are askew a lot of times. It's just that kind of thing that can be someone's undoing.
    There they are thinking they know what or where the threat exists and at least being mindful of situational awareness or thinking their antenna is accurate.
    Gasper may be speaking very specific experiences. Those from out of town or the area wouldn't be in tune with social or area norms that may differ either so I can see a bit of default to mis reads.

You guys want to leave this thread as shooting the breeze in the Carolinas, or should we get rid of it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AVL-MTB View Post
    You guys want to leave this thread as shooting the breeze in the Carolinas, or should we get rid of it?
    Ummm...lots of valid mtb discussion in the thread and polite exchange of views. Why on earth would it get deleted? I can't even remotely see how it violates forum rules or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    Ummm...lots of valid mtb discussion in the thread and polite exchange of views. Why on earth would it get deleted? I can't even remotely see how it violates forum rules or whatever.
    I'm not saying it's violating any rules. It's not very subject specific, unless you want to call it Abnormalities in the forest". It's fine either way. Some dude was complaining about it earlier. Deleted the post.

Big Mac
    Threads like this are as helpful as any. And as Mike Brown said, itís pleasant. So yeah, I vote leave it.

since 4/10/2009
    Why even change the thread title? Not worth it

Big Mac
    Why even change the thread title? Not worth it
    Because of ďsome dudeĒ. Lol.

since 4/10/2009
    Because of ďsome dudeĒ. Lol.

Prob LDC

LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Nov 2015
    This just proves my theory that mtbr is more of a place where people come to make meaningless conversation to fill their day and not actually a place that people come to talk about mountain biking. Criminals on the run in the forest? Is this the onion or mtbr?
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneDetroitCity View Post
    This just proves my theory that mtbr is more of a place where people come to make meaningless conversation to fill their day and not actually a place that people come to talk about mountain biking. Criminals on the run in the forest? Is this the onion or mtbr?
    Well congratulations, Dr Detroit. You can move on now.

Big Mac
    Prob LDC

I think youíre right.

Threads like this are as helpful as any. And as Mike Brown said, itís pleasant. So yeah, I vote leave it.

No problem. Just wanted yall's input.

Big Mac
    No problem. Just wanted yall's input.

mtbr member
    As stated in post #8, this thread should be deleted. Moderators have been asked to do so.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    You asked a question, you got an answer. You received some additional commentary on the area. There's no reason this discussion can't serve as a reference for others who may also come across that bike-jacking article and have some questions about the area. Likewise, NC and SC residents (who are not necessarily bikers) sometimes espouse less-than-flattering opinions about Western NC that undoubtedly make their way around, and could influence visitors' perceptions of the area.

You visit Pisgah, you stop at Walmart, you hear a local talk about road-side campers' cars getting broken into, you hear some random comment nearly a state away about Western NC being a sh!thole. Is that not a perception the Pisgah locals would like the chance to clarify?

This is a forum, after all...

Co Springs
    Well congratulations, Dr Detroit. You can move on now.

hehe - Yeah.
    I've had no trouble since 2003 finding anything I want to zero in on as per help or specific subject matter and I'm slightly computer / tech literate just recently!
    -Not complaining that I didn't see anything about breeze or wind here but when the subject takes on a bit of extra input or ideas, it's often more helpful than even the OP's intent or expectations.

I do agree with the 'some' that say it's pleasant to see some light-hearted subject matter or even exchanges where people actually get along versus rallying against something all the time Ö. well, until THAT is the problem - lol.

My hat is off to Carolina !

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasper View Post
    As stated in post #8, this thread should be deleted. Moderators have been asked to do so.
    that's not how forums work. threads don't get deleted as soon as the initial question is answered.

Big Mac
    Man, it was windy earlier. Winds have laid down for now. More rain coming, I reckon.

I was building my kids' trampoline last night. I'm the last guy on the hill, so I can feel it when the wind's blowing. I hate working outside when it's windy. Wind absolutely drives me nuts!

since 4/10/2009
    I was building my kids trampoline last night. I'm the last guy on the hill, so I can feel it when the wind's blowing. I hate working outside when it's windy. Wind absolutely drives me nuts!
    My house sits on a south-facing slope not far from the head of a valley. I'm up just high enough to be above the tops of the trees just a little way down the valley, and consequently the back of my house (south-facing side) catches a LOT of wind.

I was outside yesterday evening cleaning up after doing a bunch of yard work. I was starting to get pissed because the wind whipping around the house was blowing all the lawn clippings, leaves, and flower petals back into my garage while I was standing there with a leaf blower trying to blow everything out and into the yard. It was trying my patience.

At least it wasn't window-rattling wind like I commonly get throughout the winter.

Big Mac
    My house sits on a south-facing slope not far from the head of a valley. I'm up just high enough to be above the tops of the trees just a little way down the valley, and consequently the back of my house (south-facing side) catches a LOT of wind.

I was outside yesterday evening cleaning up after doing a bunch of yard work. I was starting to get pissed because the wind whipping around the house was blowing all the lawn clippings, leaves, and flower petals back into my garage while I was standing there with a leaf blower trying to blow everything out and into the yard. It was trying my patience.

At least it wasn't window-rattling wind like I commonly get throughout the winter.
    Lol. I often think the best way to corral leaves and what not is to just open my shop doors and let the wind blow them all in. I too live atop a hill, and the struggle is real.

Nov 2015
    that's not how forums work. threads don't get deleted as soon as the initial question is answered.
    Lol, you sure? Mine get deleted and locked all the time. Quickly. I'm sure it's not personal though...
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

since 4/10/2009
    Lol, you sure? Mine get deleted and locked all the time. Quickly. I'm sure it's not personal though...
    I can't imagine why your threads get locked or deleted so frequently....

Big Mac
    Youíre special.

Mine get deleted and locked all the time.
    1 locked thread out of 98 started treads. "Locked all the time" you said? Blowing things out of proportion, don't you think?

Big Mac
    1 locked thread out of 98 started treads. "Locked all the time" you said? Blowing things out of proportion, don't you think?
    Itís his thing. He also passes 500 bikers a day.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Itís his thing. He also passes 500 bikers a day.

You forgot the time he dropped Catherine Pendrel at some trail in Michigan and the recent rumor that poor Jolanda Neff was seen fleeing NC in tears after LDC destroyed her on the trails in Asheville, Luca Shaw could not console her. I have it on good authority that he's gonna be putting "DK" kit on the top step of podiums all over the US.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by MessagefromTate View Post
    You forgot the time he dropped Catherine Pendrel at some trail in Michigan and the recent rumor that poor Jolanda Neff was seen fleeing NC in tears after LDC destroyed her on the trails in Asheville, Luca Shaw could not console her. I have it on good authority that he's gonna be putting "DK" kit on the top step of podiums all over the US.
    He is a stud. Heís told us. So, Iím not surprised.

Nov 2015
    He is a stud. Heís told us. So, Iím not surprised.

When do you want to meet up for a ride?

Big Mac
    I have no interest in riding with you, cause I think youíre a dick. I suppose we could meet up sometime though.

Big Mac
    Wait, what kind of ride?

Nov 2015
    I have no interest in riding with you, cause I think youíre a dick. I suppose we could meet up sometime though.

How does Sunday at 10 am at the The Hub in Brevard sound? Then we can figure out what trails we want to ride and carpool.

Big Mac
    How does Sunday at 10 am at the The Hub in Brevard sound? Then we can figure out what trails we want to ride and carpool.
    Sounds terrible. Everything about it, sounds terrible.

Nov 2015
    Sounds terrible. Everything about it, sounds terrible.

Riding mountain bikes on sparkle dirt in the glorious Pisgah National Forest sounds terrible? I thought it sounds like nirvana. I thought thats what its all about. Riding bikes. Not forum posing.

Co Springs
    Ö Blowing things out of proportion, don't you think?
    It's the wind (breeze).
    See ? He's staying on subject !!

And yes, thank you, I'll take a moment to vent also.

I can walk outside any given day and feel the calm of nothingness in the way of air current. I live on a sloping street about mid-block and yet everything of debris nature is in my yard like a magnet.

When I open the garage door, a sudden whoosh of negative air vacuums everything loose into the garage like magnet #2 or at least seemingly creating a 20 mph wind to clean my yard at the cost of every nook and cranny in the garage.

There - Thanks !