Cane Creek Cup- Mtbr.com

Thread: Cane Creek Cup

Feb 2004

Cane Creek Cup

Has anyone out there done the Cane Creek Cup in the past? I am planning on racing in the Uwharrie race on 27/28 March and wanted to know what the trail is like and if people normally camp out before the race. I am plannin on heading up the 27th from Greenville, SC. Any info on the race would be appreciated.
    Thanks,

Big ring = No chainsuck
    Look on MTBR's trail reviews under supertree and keyauwee trails. The web site for the race is sandhillscyclingclub.com
    I plan to be there also.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes...
    That way, when you criticize him you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

mtbr member
    who are you, fellow Greenvillian?

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nc-rider
    Look on MTBR's trail reviews under supertree and keyauwee trails. The web site for the race is sandhillscyclingclub.com
    I plan to be there also.
    I checked out the sandhills site the other day but it does not say much. I wanted to find out how popular this race series is. Thanks

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedchick
    who are you, fellow Greenvillian?
    Just a boy in a mans body who still likes to play on his bike, get muddy and forget about work!! I've lived here off and on since 2000. I usually ride dupont trails and I am trying to figure out the trails at Pisgah. I ride a 03 Palomino Race, so if you see one on the trail it's a good chance its me (I have'nt seen another one on the trails down here).

mtbr member
    I'll keep an eye out. For years we had a big group (Mudslingers) that met at Stax to go to Pisgah every Saturday, but they all turned into roadies a couple of years ago, so it's just me and my husband and a few friends these days. If you see two Litespeeds in a Grey Toyota pick-up on the way up Hwy 25 on a Sat am....that's us.

Cane Creek is a very popular race series...Its the only one around here as far as I know. You can look at their website and see the number of riders who show up at the individual races. Have you done Tiger Rag and Stumpjump? I think those are both Cane Creek races and you don't have to drive so far. Stumpjump is an unusually well-produced, well-organized race. (at Southside in Spartanburg)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dog6
    Has anyone out there done the Cane Creek Cup in the past? I am planning on racing in the Uwharrie race on 27/28 March and wanted to know what the trail is like and if people normally camp out before the race. I am plannin on heading up the 27th from Greenville, SC. Any info on the race would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    The trail is 11.4 miles from the parkinglot, including road in and out, so probably around 10 miles from the start/camping area. Uwharrie is very XC oriented. Some decent climbs by peidmont standards, but nothing like Pisgah or even Dupont. I would estimate it is 60/40 or 70/30 mix, in favor of singletrack over doubletrack, and it is a fun place to ride (I don't race, but can enjoy myself turning multiple laps there). I think the total elevation change is around 800', and some of my buddies regularly SS it, if that gives you an ide of terrain.

You may already have this link, but here is some Uharrie-Specific webage: http://www.childrey.com/umba/

Have fun...

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedchick
    I'll keep an eye out. For years we had a big group (Mudslingers) that met at Stax to go to Pisgah every Saturday, but they all turned into roadies a couple of years ago, so it's just me and my husband and a few friends these days. If you see two Litespeeds in a Grey Toyota pick-up on the way up Hwy 25 on a Sat am....that's us.

Cane Creek is a very popular race series...Its the only one around here as far as I know. You can look at their website and see the number of riders who show up at the individual races. Have you done Tiger Rag and Stumpjump? I think those are both Cane Creek races and you don't have to drive so far. Stumpjump is an unusually well-produced, well-organized race. (at Southside in Spartanburg)
    If you don't mind, let me know the next SAT you are all heading to Pisgah, I could use a guided tour of the trails.

mtbr member
    we'll be going tomorrow. If you are interested drop me an email w/ your phone number in it. [email protected]

I'm not promising anything, I embarrassed myself by telling another guy from MTBR I would call him the next day with a location, but then it snowed and we didn't go to Pisgah, and then every weekend something else comes up where I don't know the ride destination until about 15 minutes before I walk out the door....so I never called him back and felt like an ass.

Anyhoo...if you don't mind being flexible, I'll try to call you as soon as I know. It's possible we will meet up with Jeremy at the Fish Hatchery at 10:00 for his epic ride(in the nearby post), but not sure.

If you're a racer, I assume you can hang with a 20+ miler.

Looks like a gorgeous Sat. on tap. Later!