Canadian needing tips/advice from you guys- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Canadian needing tips/advice from you guys

I drove down from Toronto just to bike and I'm staying at an airbnb west of Asheville so I'm looking for some tips on where to ride. I'm here for 4 days so Id like to spend some time in Dupont and then Pisgah, whatever! Are there any nice runs or areas that can be shuttled to avoid some uphill and any services that do that? (I love climbing too but everybody loves DH sometimes right Should I just load up trailforks and go? Any place I can look for club or group rides or any really good guide services? Friendly Canadian looking for some help

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Krudler View Post
    I drove down from Toronto just to bike and I'm staying at an airbnb west of Asheville so I'm looking for some tips on where to ride. I'm here for 4 days so Id like to spend some time in Dupont and then Pisgah, whatever! Are there any nice runs or areas that can be shuttled to avoid some uphill and any services that do that? (I love climbing too but everybody loves DH sometimes right Should I just load up trailforks and go? Any place I can look for club or group rides or any really good guide services? Friendly Canadian looking for some help
    Bennett gap can be shuttled cove creek could be. You could go to Bailey's mtb park and be shuttled all weekend

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

since 4/10/2009
    Yeah, not too many shuttle opportunities out here.

A buddy of mine owns Red Wolf Tours out of Brevard. He guides a lot of folks in Pisgah/DuPont, if you're looking for that sort of thing.

mtbr member
    Welcome. There is a a sticky thread with some good tips for out of towners. If shuttling is more your thing you should give Bailey Mountain Bike Park a go. Make sure to reserve tickets in advance. A 150mm travel and up bike is optimal. There are trails that can be shuttled but it's more time effective IMO to just make a rad loop out of a few trails. I guess you could shuttle Dupont but would be kind of a waste of resources. In the forest here by the time you reset your shuttle you could be halfway up the next climb. The closest trail network to you in West Asheville will be Bent Creek.

mtbr member
    PS for friendly trail info stop into Motion Makers on Brevard rd. Tell them the half Canuck sent you.

mtbr member
    Get maps by Pisgah Map Company from any local bike shop. The Pisgah and DuPont maps include good suggested ride routes
    "Those who are afraid to go too far will never know how far they can go"

mtbr member
    Hit up bike shops and ask... buy a map or better yet get the Avenza Map app on your phone and download the Pisgah Map Co. apps.

Hard to shuttle anything here but the climbs aren't too bad or too long so just go for it. 4 days should give you plenty of saddle time. Don't be afraid to ask to join a ride if you see folks mingling about at trailheads. We're mostly friendly... mostly 😎

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Canadian needing tips/advice from you guys

Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    Hit up bike shops and ask... buy a map or better yet get the Avenza Map app on your phone and download the Pisgah Map Co. apps.

Hard to shuttle anything here but the climbs aren't too bad or too long so just go for it. 4 days should give you plenty of saddle time. Don't be afraid to ask to join a ride if you see folks mingling about at trailheads. We're mostly friendly... mostly
    I'll have to disagree on several fronts, re: Pisgah. Many think that the climbs are actually bad and long, especially those who are used to shuttling. And, there are plenty of shuttles to be had, but it won't be a rinse, repeat kind of shuttle; it will be a little more involved. DuPont, on the other hand, isn't worth shuttling, trails are short and fun, much less climb and tech.

But, I do agree: just go for it; lose yourself.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wu-D View Post
    I'll have to disagree on several fronts, re: Pisgah. Many think that the climbs are actually bad and long, especially those who are used to shuttling. And, there are plenty of shuttles to be had, but it won't be a rinse, repeat kind of shuttle; it will be a little more involved. DuPont, on the other hand, isn't worth shuttling, trails are short and fun, much less climb and tech.

But, I do agree: just go for it; lose yourself.
    Banjo knows what's up. If all you ride is park, then go ride park. The climbs in the forest aren't bad or long. Hit up a bike shop, grab a map, and plan accordingly. You will have fun on a 2 mile ride or an all day 30 mile ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    For the most part the shuttles in Pisgah equal a significant amount of driving...the times I have done it it wasn't really worth it...go for the climbs it's generally mostly double track forestry road climbs (though most are closed to vehicles)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk