Camping near trails. Have I missed any?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Camping near trails. Have I missed any?

Planning our yearly trip but we are short 8 people so no house this year. We are going to camp it out and hope for some decent weather March 18th and on.

I was looking at blackforest camping up near cedar mountain. Looks like we could ride to dupont from there, We will need Electricity and washrooms/laundry/ showers is a plus. I did see cascade lake camping but looks a little further away. I think most fo our time will be in Dupont but a couple rides planned for Pisgah.

Any recommendations for a serviced campground

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    We stay at Black Forest whenever we ride Dupont. Can't say enough good things about it. Loads of campsites and cabins too. We usually grab one of the cabins for the weekend. Pancake breakfast with all the trimmings on the weekends, $6.00. Hard to beat that. Family owned, and the families live there on site. You can ride to Dupont but be aware of the traffic on that road. Not a lot of roadway for a bike and a vehicle.
    2019 Rocky Mountain Altitude C70 Custom
    2018 Pivot Mach 5.5 Custom
    2018 Orange Alpine 6 Custom
    2017 Knolly Warden Custom

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Glad to hear. Thx for the reply. Good call on the traffic. Outlet years back we rode from main parking to hit some of the upper trail and there was two red dump trucks that were up and down the hill over and over going faster then any car should have been going. Pretty scary lol

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The Reeb Ranch - A Destination for Bikers, Campers & Special Events might be a better option. They have camping and cabins. Trails that lead into dupont in the Guion Farm area.
    Another options are:
    For pisgah, you have davidson river and the group camp near Daniel's Ridge (name? not sure if proper bathrooms or just portas).
    Mills River Campground is nice and you can ride to the Mills River trails from there.
    Lake Powhatan Campground is in Bent Creek.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by matty22c View Post
    The Reeb Ranch - A Destination for Bikers, Campers & Special Events might be a better option. They have camping and cabins. Trails that lead into dupont in the Guion Farm area.
    Another options are:
    For pisgah, you have davidson river and the group camp near Daniel's Ridge (name? not sure if proper bathrooms or just portas).
    Mills River Campground is nice and you can ride to the Mills River trails from there.
    Lake Powhatan Campground is in Bent Creek.
    The "group camp" you mention is cove creek, and is reservation only, and it's booked. Per usual. They have pit toilets. Lake Powhatan campground is closed. Reeb ranch is spensive. If DuPont is the focus, Black Forest is your best bet. If you can afford it, Reeb Ranch is a good option.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Its a budget trip for sure lol. Thx for suggestions though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    The "group camp" you mention is cove creek, and is reservation only, and it's booked. Per usual. They have pit toilets. Lake Powhatan campground is closed. Reeb ranch is spensive. If DuPont is the focus, Black Forest is your best bet. If you can afford it, Reeb Ranch is a good option.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Powhatan open the 1st of March? If so, it would be open on the dates given by the OP

Big Mac
    Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Powhatan open the 1st of March? If so, it would be open on the dates given by the OP
    I honestly don't know. They always seem to be closed at the best times.

mtbr member
    According to the website, you are correct. Only 2 of the 4 camping loops open March 1st, and the other 2 open April 1st.
    2019 Yeti SB150
    2017 YT Jeffsy AL Two 29
    2011 Trek Rumblefish 1

Official Cooler Inspector
    I rarely post here, but as an Official Old Phart - I still lurk. Regardless of your specific ride requirements: Jack Rabbit State Park is not terrible. Works great for family camping. Lake Chatuge, bike/hike trails and is four miles from Hiawassee, GA. Not an "epic" bike trail, but dang - sometimes epic is just what you make of it.Camping near trails. Have I missed any?-023_jr_514.jpg
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

Just re-read the OP - this campground is a May to September place.
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by M-U-M View Post
    Just re-read the OP - this campground is a May to September place.
    It's not very close to DuPont either.

I realized my error immediately, but chose to leave the post. I expected a quicker correction... I have missed you. Oh my - them old days were so much better than Facial Books.