Camping in Asheville, Where to Ride?- Mtbr.com
    KulAdventures

Camping in Asheville, Where to Ride?

I am going to be camping in Asheville this sat/sun (MAR 14/15) and I am looking for an awesome DH trail around the area for one day and then some awesome singletrack for the other day.

I am coming from Chicago, so I want to get the best that Asheville, Brevard, and Pisgah have to offer.

Technically difficult is ok!

KulAdventures
    Oh, Guess I should mention too that I have ridden Daniel Ridge in the past. Love the DH part, but think I did it backwards...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Farlow is a great downhill. If you ride up that sucks but it can be shuttled.

KulAdventures
    You know what the distance is uphill? (and down?)

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by scmtbiker View Post
    Farlow is a great downhill. If you ride up that sucks but it can be shuttled.
    Is the gate back open?

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Just visited Chicago this last weekend and got back to Asheville yesterday. Hope you get to enjoy our city as well!

KulAdventures
    Thanks, I cant wait. Just struggling to pick a good XC and DH trail for the trip.

Good cross country at DuPont State Forest and Bent Creek.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexk243 View Post
    I am going to be camping in Asheville this sat/sun (MAR 14/15) and I am looking for an awesome DH trail around the area for one day and then some awesome singletrack for the other day.

I am coming from Chicago, so I want to get the best that Asheville, Brevard, and Pisgah have to offer.

Technically difficult is ok!
    Dunno what you like to ride or what level of technical is fun for you but if I had two days in WNC I'd do the following...

DH: Farlow Gap to Daniels Ridge. Doesnt get any rowdier than Farlow.

XC/trail: Squirrel Gap variations (Mullinax, S. Mills, Horse Cove, Cantrell Creek, etc.) Just ride squirrel out and back from Turkey Pen trail head. Solid 20 miles of flow, punchy downhills, and fun fun gnar.

IMO if your traveling all the way from Chicago dont waste your time at Bent Creek or Dupont. Dupont is ok for smooth flow but it tends to get boring after a while. Lots of gravel too. Bent Creek is fine for local folk but definitely not a destination trail system. Its mostly smooth, wide double track trail. The positive thing for BC is its in Asheville and close to what the town has to offer weary travelers.

Just ride Pisgah then Drink all the beers.
    On your left!

KulAdventures
    Quote Originally Posted by AshevilleMtBiker View Post
    Good cross country at DuPont State Forest and Bent Creek.
    Any trail specifically?

KulAdventures
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    Dunno what you like to ride or what level of technical is fun for you but if I had two days in WNC I'd do the following...

DH: Farlow Gap to Daniels Ridge. Doesnt get any rowdier than Farlow.

XC/trail: Squirrel Gap variations (Mullinax, S. Mills, Horse Cove, Cantrell Creek, etc.) Just ride squirrel out and back from Turkey Pen trail head. Solid 20 miles of flow, punchy downhills, and fun fun gnar.

IMO if your traveling all the way from Chicago dont waste your time at Bent Creek or Dupont. Dupont is ok for smooth flow but it tends to get boring after a while. Lots of gravel too. Bent Creek is fine for local folk but definitely not a destination trail system. Its mostly smooth, wide double track trail. The positive thing for BC is its in Asheville and close to what the town has to offer weary travelers.

Just ride Pisgah then Drink all the beers.
    Awesome!!! Thanks for the info. Defiantly will look into those. I am not just traveling down for the biking. I am passing through on a week long trip, but either way I want to make the most of it!

mtbr member
    While I tend to agree with the whole "Skip Bent Creek" sentiment, I do think a ride in DuPont is worth it... only if it's this ride:

Park at Corn Mill Shoals Trailhead -

Corn Mill Shoals Trail > Burnt Mtn (clockwise) > Corn Mill Shoals > Little River > Cedar Rock (powerline entrance) > Big Rock > Corn Mill Shoals > Longside > Pinetree > Cascade > Cascade Lake Rd > Rock Quarry Rd > Buck Ridge Rd > Micajah > Wilke

You pop out right where you parked and sample some of the best DuPont has to offer. If you need more, drive up to Lake Imaging Trailhead and Hit up Jim Branch, Ridgeline, Hickory Mtn, Etc...

Quote Originally Posted by SketchyD View Post
    Park at Corn Mill Shoals Trailhead -

Corn Mill Shoals Trail > Burnt Mtn (clockwise) > Corn Mill Shoals > Little River > Cedar Rock (powerline entrance) > Big Rock > Corn Mill Shoals > Longside > Pinetree > Cascade > Cascade Lake Rd > Rock Quarry Rd > Buck Ridge Rd > Micajah > Wilke
    How many miles does that ^ add up to?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AshevilleMtBiker View Post
    How many miles does that ^ add up to?
    Dunno... I don't ride with a GPS or anything of the sort.

KulAdventures
    So headed out tomorrow. Riding XC Sunday and probably DH (Farlow Gap, based on recommendations here) Monday. Still need a good XC place. Whats the best one to hit up?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexk243 View Post
    So headed out tomorrow. Riding XC Sunday and probably DH (Farlow Gap, based on recommendations here) Monday. Still need a good XC place. Whats the best one to hit up?
    "XC" is such a broad definition...oh wait, "DH" is too. Here's my probably not helpful .02.

For fast, enjoyable trail, Bent Creek or DuPont are the best. The new DuPont map is easy to read and has several great route recommendations on it, so I'd recommend that for "XC." It also drains well and its rain-y here, BC does not drain well, so try DuPont.

For very technical XC, the Squirrel Gap out-and-back can't be beat- find the trailhead on the map, drive to it (rough road- low ground clearance vehicle? Park at bottom) and use the map to find a route to Squirrel, do as out and back.

For DH...yes, Farlow is as rowdy as it gets. Be aware, however, that one way or the other, you have to climb every single foot you descend. Be ready for ~5:1 time ratio of climbing/descending.

KulAdventures
    Yeah I am aware of the climb, we can deal with that lol. Ill look into squirrel gap. I guess by XC we are just looking for some awesome single track and is flowy and fun. For DH looking for that uphill hike followed by a technical downhill that I may need to wear pads on.

KulAdventures
    Ended up doing Squirrel Gap, which was awesome!!! Not all of us were able to finish, but that was exactly what I was looking for! Thank you guys.

Next day I did Daniel Ridge, which was fun as usual. Had the intention of doing Farlow Gap too, but that didn't work with everyone I was with unfortunately. I was able to talk them into Daniel Ridge at least.

On to our next part of the trip. Myrtle Beach then Outer Banks. Thank you guys for all the helpful info.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    If you want to stretch your legs at the coast:

At Myrtle Beach: HULK | Myrtle Beach Triathlon Club

Not too far from MB, or on the way to OBX: Brunswick Nature ParkCape Fear SORBA | Cape Fear SORBA

On the way to OBX: Henderson Ponds - Down East Cyclists (Jacksonville, NC) - Meetup

I've ridden Brunswick, and have family that have ridden the other two. None are destination trails, but are more than adequate if you gotta get your fix.

KulAdventures
    Ah that would have been fun, but we were pretty rushed with plans. We did get to bike about 100 miles on the outer banks the following days though, which was awesome! Not mountain biking though

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Cool, road biking at OBX can be interesting. Not what most people think of as a prime riding location, but it can definitely be fun, especially before it's overrun with tourists.

KulAdventures
    Yeah the area was deserted, but I loved the route. Not especially scenic, but you pass through some really cool small towns.