• 04-06-2004
    tmb
    Camping advice for Pisgah?
    I'm thinking about pitching a tent when I come down the 1st weekend in May. I prefer a night around the campfire w/ a few beers to a night on the town anyways, so staying in Asheville(Motel8 etc.) seems like a waste of money. A nice secluded(shaded) site w/ electric & hot showers are all I want. I've heard Davidson River & N. Mills River campgrounds mentioned a few times, can anyone share some 1st hand knowledge w/ me? Are there any other places I should consider? What is Lake Powhatan like?

Thanks for any help
    Todd
  • 04-06-2004
    Punker
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tmb
    I'm thinking about pitching a tent when I come down the 1st weekend in May. I prefer a night around the campfire w/ a few beers to a night on the town anyways, so staying in Asheville(Motel8 etc.) seems like a waste of money. A nice secluded(shaded) site w/ electric & hot showers are all I want. I've heard Davidson River & N. Mills River campgrounds mentioned a few times, can anyone share some 1st hand knowledge w/ me? Are there any other places I should consider? What is Lake Powhatan like?

Thanks for any help
    Todd

All three, Davidson River, North Mills, and Lake Powhatan, are close to riding. You can ride out of all three. Davidson River may have more riding closer to it, but it all depends on how far you want to ride to get to the trails. Lake Powhatan is in the middle of the Bent Creek area, but is further from the main part of Pisgah. I would go with either Davidson River or North Mills. Davidson River is larger, quite a bit larger, so there is going to be more people. There are more sites at Davidson River with electricity. Davidson River is also closer to bike shops, beer, and food. North Mills river is more secluded and a lot smaller then Davidson River. I have camped at both of them many times and either one will treat you right. If you traveling any distance to get to Pisgah, I may choose Davidson River, just because it is closer to civilization if you need to pick some stuff up. Davidson River is also closer to Dupont if you choose to go there for a day.
  • 04-06-2004
    bmateo
    To add to Punker, Davidson has showers, Mills does not. Davidson is a few bucks more, but WAY worth it IMO... (Nothing like a shower to wash the ride-funk off after a long day).

If you like the campfire thing, if money is not an object, and you want comfort, seclusion, fire ring and etc, you can rent a cabin at many places (google search it). I went to willowby woods once, very nice place, very cool people. Only 2 cabins, each has 2 bedrooms, full bath and kitchen, grill, covered deck, fire ring, etc..... About $110/nt for four people. If it is in your budget, it is NICE, I'm a poor biker, and will be going back to Davidson River.

There are also free sites up the road from Davidson (and Mills I think). They are full-on primative. No water, no nothing. But free.

Have not been to Powhattan
  • 04-06-2004
    AlloyNipples
    1 Attachment(s)
    A group of us will be at Davidson that weekend. Of course, fire and beer are a given. Now if we could just get M-U-M and Hollis to shuttle down some pizza from Apllo!

Look for a Red Toyota Tacoma 4dr and these characters. Don't be shy.
  • 04-06-2004
    Spookykinkajou
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AlloyNipples
    A group of us will be at Davidson that weekend. Of course, fire and beer are a given. Now if we could just get M-U-M and Hollis to shuttle down some pizza from Apllo!

Look for a Red Toyota Tacoma 4dr and these characters. Don't be shy.

looks like i'll be at davidson may 4th through the 7th. heading down from manhattan on the 1st but stopping a bit north for 2 nights before heading to davidson. shall be doing major epic rides solo unless someone is crazy enough to tag along with me. i'll be the green explorer with the funny looking pink rigid single speed.

although if a lot of mtbr people are going to be there the weekend of the 1st of may maybe i should head straight there and hit the northern spots ont he way back...would be cool to meet some of you.
  • 04-06-2004
    Duckman
    Davidson is the place. Have camped there 3 different trips now. Cool place to hang, ride thru(its huge), and many many trails can be ridden too from your campsite. Use the water hose deals on the left just past the checkin to wash off your bike. Most never notice this nice perk. Brevard and several bike friendly shops are about a mile down the road just outside the Nat forest boundry.

Hell, I may go myself that weekend, but I'm racing in the Pisgah Death Match the very next weekend, sooooo.....
  • 04-06-2004
    carter1
    Davidson River
    would be my first choice. We have spent many weekends there (including our first anniversary many years ago!) It is nice, at least a long weekend's worth of riding from your campsite and yes, the showers are really nice after a long dirty day!
  • 04-06-2004
    Hollis
    Hey
    Mr Nipples, Consider yourself shuttled :D

Hollis (dork in red hat)
  • 04-06-2004
    tmb
    Thanks everyone
    Sounds like Davidson is the place.

Nipples(is it just me or does everyone smile when they type that!) Thanks for the invite, looks like I'm flying solo, so I'll keep an eye out for you guys. I'll be in my silver full-size Chevy w/ the Red Wings plate on the front, black Hammerhead 100x.

Todd

Hey! I can get Yeungling in N.C. right? Nothing better than a Traditional Lager after a good ride. Can't get it here in Mich. :mad:
  • 04-06-2004
    Spookykinkajou
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tmb

Nipples(is it just me or does everyone smile when they type that!) Thanks for the invite, looks like I'm flying solo, so I'll keep an eye out for you guys. I'll be in my silver full-size Chevy w/ the Red Wings plate on the front, black Hammerhead 100x.

Todd

Hey! I can get Yeungling in N.C. right? Nothing better than a Traditional Lager after a good ride. Can't get it here in Mich. :mad:

need reservations? i'm driving down on the 1st(saturday) and staying probably until atleast wed or thursday then heading up a bit north for some more riding at yancey and some other name i cant recall right now...shall be solo as well most likely.
  • 04-06-2004
    Troll
    Yeungling is here.
    Almost any conv. store now has it.
    Later, Troll
    (Having one as I type this.)
  • 04-07-2004
    mbmb65
    And many other beers as well!!!!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tmb

Todd

you can get yeungling, bud, miller, coors and rolling rock. pretty much all of 'em! and yes, Davidson is the place.
  • 04-07-2004
    AlloyNipples
    Bringing a cooler full of....
    Atlanta local brews http://www.sweetwaterbrew.com/ water straight outa the "hooch".

I look forward to meeting you and yeah, I still crack a smile when I type in my handle.

As far as resv. go, spookykinkajou, davidson doesn't start taking resv until May 1st so I think you'll be ok. Prior to that it's 1st come first served.

See ya'll there!

Scott
  • 04-07-2004
    bmateo
    One other thing (non-MTB content)
    If you're in the area for the weekend of 4/29-5/2, you may head about 1.5 hours up the road toward N. Wilksoboro for the Merle Watson Festival. I know you are here to ride, but if you get tuckered out pushing your bike up Black Mt, Laurel Mt. Pilot Rock, and the likes, or if you have major mechanicals and can't ride for a day (hopefully not), this is a great way to kill a day off the bike (or to keep those non-riding family members entertained). It is a bluegrass festival, and the only down-side is that it is so good that it has gotten huge and expensive. ("It is so popular that nobody comes there anymore", Yogi Berra)

If you are interestd, do a google search on Merlefest (prlly www.merlefest.org)
  • 04-07-2004
    Bill C.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AlloyNipples
    Atlanta local brews http://www.sweetwaterbrew.com/ water straight outa the "hooch".

As far as resv. go, spookykinkajou, davidson doesn't start taking resv until May 1st so I think you'll be ok. Prior to that it's 1st come first served.

Scott

Davidson River actually takes reservations for Apple Tree loop in the off season. Have to go to ReserveUSA.com and open an account. Couple of other loops are first come, first served. With good weather, don't show up on Saturday and expect to find a site.

N. Mills River doesn't have the water turned on or the flush toilets working until after April 15th. No reservations until then either.
  • 04-07-2004
    Spookykinkajou
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill C.
    Davidson River actually takes reservations for Apple Tree loop in the off season. Have to go to ReserveUSA.com and open an account. Couple of other loops are first come, first served. With good weather, don't show up on Saturday and expect to find a site.

N. Mills River doesn't have the water turned on or the flush toilets working until after April 15th. No reservations until then either.

Thanks for the heads up. better safe than sorry i suppose. reservations shall be made!
  • 04-07-2004
    Spookykinkajou
    just so you know so you dont waste time like i did the reserveusa site is being updated or something so you cant make a reservation. it says it'll be available again on the 8th of april sometime. of course they dont tell you this until you've already set everything up and picked out the site you want.

any recommendations on where to pick a site in davidson or they mostly all nice? seemed liked most the ones available were in apple tree and hemlock. some sections werent available at all.
  • 04-08-2004
    tmb
    I'm planning on being down Fri.evening(5:00-6:00). I tried to get a family site w/ elec. but they were all booked. So, I'm going to take a chance and go for one of the non-reservable tent sites. There is 100 of them, hopefully by getting there on fri, I will be able to snag one. Sound like a good plan? I'd hate to drive 10hrs. & get boned on a site.

countin' the days
    Todd
  • 04-08-2004
    Spookykinkajou
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tmb
    I'm planning on being down Fri.evening(5:00-6:00). I tried to get a family site w/ elec. but they were all booked. So, I'm going to take a chance and go for one of the non-reservable tent sites. There is 100 of them, hopefully by getting there on fri, I will be able to snag one. Sound like a good plan? I'd hate to drive 10hrs. & get boned on a site.

countin' the days
    Todd

i checked a bit ago and there were quite a few single family regular and premium sites left. i was going to get one but then i saw that website charges 9 bucks just to reserve the site. that kinda ticked me off. i'm going to try calling in a bit to see if i can do it that way instead.
  • 04-08-2004
    Duckman
    Call Davidson direct. Thats what I did last April, um...I think. Reason being, I got there on a Thurs, and she assured me there'd be spots mid week regardless. Also remember Trout season starts soon. "Davidson...R-i-v-e-r" is a bit hint, so take heed.
  • 04-12-2004
    tmb
    got my site
    site 39 has my name on it.

Todd
  • 04-12-2004
    Spookykinkajou
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tmb

Todd

did you call? what did they want to reserve it? cc# or full payment? i ask this because i've no clue how many days i'm going to stay yet:)

when are you going up? i'm not getting their until saturday and have decided to probably wing it and just get a place when i show up but some of that was because to reserve online the middleman wanted to charge me 9 dollars.
  • 04-12-2004
    tmb
    Spooky-
    I don't know the details, my wife called and did it for me. I know it was about $57/3 nights(no sites w/ elec. left). I"ll ask her in the morning. I'll be getting in fri evening, riding sat-sun-mon, staying in Hickory on mon night, head back to Mich. on tues am.
    If you do decide to take a chance, and get shut out, I'll split my site w/ you.

Todd
  • 04-13-2004
    Spookykinkajou
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tmb
    Spooky-
    I don't know the details, my wife called and did it for me. I know it was about $57/3 nights(no sites w/ elec. left). I"ll ask her in the morning. I'll be getting in fri evening, riding sat-sun-mon, staying in Hickory on mon night, head back to Mich. on tues am.
    If you do decide to take a chance, and get shut out, I'll split my site w/ you.

Todd

Thanks. Appreciate it. I don't think it'll be a problem getting a spot but ya never know.
  • 04-15-2004
    Spookykinkajou
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tmb

Todd

I ended up breaking down and making a reservation as well. It's in the same general area as yours or maybe even right next to it.
  • 05-08-2004
    tmb
    Thanks
    Gotta throw a quick thank you out to Alloy Nipples & Group: Matt, Chris, Kevin, Glen, Big Bob and of course Tucker(I think that's everyone). Sat's Laurel Mt. ride was outstanding, Good Enough Gap has got to be the steepest desent I've done yet, the rain really notched up the pucker factor.
    The rain finally let up Sun. afternoon, Sean & I hit Dupont. Burnt/Cedar was a blast, did Cedar twice, had to try both desents. Slickrock riding is otherworldly, just stupid amounts of grip.
    Mon. am took us to the BRP, Flat Laurel Creek trail, incredible views. A short trail but worth the drive over. For someone that lives in lower Mich(about 1000' ele.), to ride above 5000' and look out over the mountains, wow, I don't know what else to say.
    Mon pm- Sean & I loaded up & headed to Kitsuma, yeah buddy! That trail will let you know that you're alive, hard climb- hard desent. There is that section of ridge that can't be more than 3' wide, just drops off on both side as far as you can see, what a sweet ride. I wish I had more left in my legs, I would have done it again, but the 5 mile climb at the end did me in.
    Overall, I'm happy w/ my trip to Pisgah. Yeah it rained alot, but I didn't let it stop me. Met some good people, rode some killer trails. What more could anyone want out of life!
    I hope to be back soon- there's alot more to ride!
    Todd