Campgrounds in the Dupont/Pisgah Area?- Mtbr.com
    DFL

Campgrounds in the Dupont/Pisgah Area?

I made my first trip out there in January and I'm hooked. Problem is, I'm a cheap ass, I don't want to spend $200-$300 a weekend on hotels. I want to make a couple trips out this summer, and a couple more this fall. What is/are some good campgrounds to check out for tent camping? They have to have cell phone coverage, I'm going to school online, and would still need to access the interwebs via the hotspot on my phone for school work.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

Formerly of Kent
    Davidson River is a good bet.

https://www.reserveamerica.com/campi...O&parkId=70204

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Holy crap you have 1100 posts and still don't know how to use the search function? This topic has been discussed quite thoroughly.

If you don't have Verizon for cell phone coverage, I'd say you're SOL.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Just a word of caution, I have issues with reception at both Davidson River as well as Lake Powhatan campgrounds with AT&T.

Anytime I camp at either campground, I plan to leave for an hour or two to get work done if needed. At Davidson River, you can roll down to The Hub and have a couple of cold ones while doing so.

DFL
    Quote Originally Posted by SCTerp View Post
    Just a word of caution, I have issues with reception at both Davidson River as well as Lake Powhatan campgrounds with AT&T.

Anytime I camp at either campground, I plan to leave for an hour or two to get work done if needed. At Davidson River, you can roll down to The Hub and have a couple of cold ones while doing so.
    Thanks for the warning. I happen to have AT&T.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

since 4/10/2009
    Can't speak to my phone reception at Davidson River, but it definitely goes to hell anywhere in the Bent Creek/Lake Powhatan area unless I'm up on top of the ridges. That area is a nice, sheltered bowl with poor line-of-sight to cell towers, it seems.

I don't think Mills River is going to be any good from that standpoint, either.

I suspect that a lot of places that are really good camping areas are going to be rough from the reception standpoint. The suggestion to stop by The Hub to get work done is probably the best bet.

mtbr member
    No where in the forest has solid and predictable reception... your best bet is to camp and then head into town to work. Or, find a private campground that has Wifi...

Or just not work and enjoy a few days of living "unplugged".
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I spent 7 days at Black Forest family camping. I think it was 200 total. Has laundry and nice bathrooms/showers. Wifi through out the park but it wasn't turned on when I went in mid march. Very close to DuPont and not terribly for from pisgah. I will go back again.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    You can find some little vrbo cabins around there for pretty cheap. I've done the camping thing but at some rate a couple hundred bucks for a real bed becomes pretty attractive. Maybe I'm just getting old, LOL.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321 View Post
    You can find some little vrbo cabins around there for pretty cheap. I've done the camping thing but at some rate a couple hundred bucks for a real bed becomes pretty attractive. Maybe I'm just getting old, LOL.
    That's why I bought a little camper that's small enough to pull behind my subie.

Has a real bed - small enough that I can put it in a lot of tent camping sites. Even some of the roadside sites.