Campground recommendations & riding routes for Pisgah / Dupont- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Campground recommendations & riding routes for Pisgah / Dupont

My friends and I are planning a trip down to ride at Pisgah and/or Dupont the weekend of November 13th, 14th and 15th.

I was looking for recommendations for a campground for a pull behind camper trailer (electric or water hook-ups nice but not necessary) that would be a good location for riding.

Also, recommendations for mtb routes in both Pisgah and Dupont would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    '15 Transition Smuggler

All fat, all the time.
    We normally stay in the Davidson river campground. Showers are a bonus at the end of the day, black mountain ends right across the street.
    They are weirdly strict at the gate though lol.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    We normally stay in the Davidson river campground. Showers are a bonus at the end of the day, black mountain ends right across the street.
    They are weirdly strict at the gate though lol.
    thank you for the recommendation and that's one of the campgrounds I see on the map.
    '15 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Where are you coming from and what kind of rides are you looking for?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    Where are you coming from and what kind of rides are you looking for?
    We are coming down from Spotsylvania, VA and looking for all mountain trail rides, I personally like big climbs and then nice flowy descents!!
    '15 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbiker040 View Post
    We are coming down from Spotsylvania, VA and looking for all mountain trail rides, I personally like big climbs and then nice flowy descents!!
    Pretty good rule of thumb, looking for deh flow, go to Dupont. Davidson River (if they have any spots left!) would be good access to Pisgah and a 15-20 minute drive to Dupont. Some of the other campgrounds (I'd rec N Mills River) will be good Pisgah access, but further to Dupont. Something to consider.

Not sure of anywhere closer to Dupont that offers camper sites. Do some reading on this sub, a ton of "where to camp" threads. Enjoy man, beautiful time of year to be riding in WNC.

There are a ton of best ride threads as well, but I'll leave my $0.02 here.

Current Favorite Pisgah Loop
    Park at Fish Hatchery
    Davidson River trail/475 to Daniel Ridge Parking
    Right onto the gravel and through the gate, ride the gravel up past Daniel Falls, keep going
    Right onto Daniel Ridge Trail (some hike a bike here)
    Rip it down Daniel Ridge, back to the parking lot
    Right onto 475
    1st left onto Searcy Creek Road
    At next junction (2-3 miles), left onto Long Branch Trail
    Left onto Butter Gap
    Left onto Cat Gap (soooooo fun!!!!!)
    Back to Hatchery

12 miles, 1600' climbing

Current Favorite Dupont Loop
    Park at Lake Imaging lot
    Start out on Lake Imaging Road....then....
    Jim Branch
    Issac Heath
    Buck Forest (gravel)
    Sky Valley Road
    Rocky Ridge
    Rifle
    Hickory Mtn Loop (CCW most fun IMO)
    Ridgeline
    Back to parking

11-12 miles, 1400' climbing

mtbr member
    Pretty good rule of thumb, looking for deh flow, go to Dupont. Davidson River (if they have any spots left!) would be good access to Pisgah and a 15-20 minute drive to Dupont. Some of the other campgrounds (I'd rec N Mills River) will be good Pisgah access, but further to Dupont. Something to consider.

Not sure of anywhere closer to Dupont that offers camper sites. Do some reading on this sub, a ton of "where to camp" threads. Enjoy man, beautiful time of year to be riding in WNC.

There are a ton of best ride threads as well, but I'll leave my $0.02 here.

Current Favorite Pisgah Loop
    Park at Fish Hatchery
    Davidson River trail/475 to Daniel Ridge Parking
    Right onto the gravel and through the gate, ride the gravel up past Daniel Falls, keep going
    Right onto Daniel Ridge Trail (some hike a bike here)
    Rip it down Daniel Ridge, back to the parking lot
    Right onto 475
    1st left onto Searcy Creek Road
    At next junction (2-3 miles), left onto Long Branch Trail
    Left onto Butter Gap
    Left onto Cat Gap (soooooo fun!!!!!)
    Back to Hatchery

12 miles, 1600' climbing

Current Favorite Dupont Loop
    Park at Lake Imaging lot
    Start out on Lake Imaging Road....then....
    Jim Branch
    Issac Heath
    Buck Forest (gravel)
    Sky Valley Road
    Rocky Ridge
    Rifle
    Hickory Mtn Loop (CCW most fun IMO)
    Ridgeline
    Back to parking

11-12 miles, 1400' climbing
    thank you very much!!! these look great!!
    '15 Transition Smuggler

Big Mac
    Black Forest campground is closest to DuPont and has hookups. It's a nice place, but it's a haul to pisgah from there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Black Forest campground is closest to DuPont and has hookups. It's a nice place, but it's a haul to pisgah from there.
    Thank you for the suggestion! I do want to go to Dupont but will probably camp at Davidson River and then drive to Dupont.
    '15 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Thank you for the suggestion! I do want to go to Dupont but will probably camp at Davidson River and then drive to Dupont.
    Most Davidson River sites are first come, first serve. If there's one available, reserve it now. If not, you will have to get down here during the week or right when they start letting campers in on Friday to get a spot.
    It's the perfect base camp. I live in Asheville less than an hour away from the campground and drive there to camp just because it is so relaxed and close to both trails and the fun spots in Brevard. You can ride your bike to a bike shop/bar and a brewery, both without seriously interacting with traffic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    Most Davidson River sites are first come, first serve. If there's one available, reserve it now. If not, you will have to get down here during the week or right when they start letting campers in on Friday to get a spot.
    It's the perfect base camp. I live in Asheville less than an hour away from the campground and drive there to camp just because it is so relaxed and close to both trails and the fun spots in Brevard. You can ride your bike to a bike shop/bar and a brewery, both without seriously interacting with traffic.
    yeah we are going to reserve a spot asap! thanks for the suggestion and I was already so excited about riding to the hub from the campground for beers after we rode!!
    '15 Transition Smuggler

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    If you want a big climb with flow going down Bracken Mountain is pretty much that and loopable from Davidson River. 276->475 to Hatchery->475C->Bracken->Brevard Bike Path->Beer->276 back to camp

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321 View Post
    If you want a big climb with flow going down Bracken Mountain is pretty much that and loopable from Davidson River. 276->475 to Hatchery->475C->Bracken->Brevard Bike Path->Beer->276 back to camp
    that sounds great, thank you very much for the suggestion!!
    '15 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321 View Post
    This is a very enjoyable loop!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Only been down there once, but have plans to return. Stayed at N. Mills River campground. Decent digs and you can put some rides together right out of the campsite. From what I recall, not a bad drive to Dupont from there.
    Am I all zipped up?

Escaping the Dreary Confines

mtbr member
    X3 for Davidson River. Seasonal trails are now open and you can get some killer DH in your rides at that location. Cat Gap, Butter, Cove Creek, Daniel Ridge, Farlow are all accessible from here. Check www.mtbproject.com out for trail profiles. Although many Pisgah trails still have not been added.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    despite the great advice provided and sent to my friends, they didn't try to make reservations until today...FAIL...and Davidson River is booked up...

Anyone know of any other campground that might be open and have availability?
    '15 Transition Smuggler

Big Mac
    despite the great advice provided and sent to my friends, they didn't try to make reservations until today...FAIL...and Davidson River is booked up...

Anyone know of any other campground that might be open and have availability?
    Well, you could try the ones suggested in this thread.

mtbr member
    Well, you could try the ones suggested in this thread.
    Well, I did try the ones I saw suggested in this thread and since they are either booked (Davidson River) or closed N. River Mills & Black Forrest I thought I would ask for any other possibilities. Thanks!
    '15 Transition Smuggler

Big Mac
    Well, I did try the ones I saw suggested in this thread and since they are either booked (Davidson River) or closed N. River Mills & Black Forrest I thought I would ask for any other possibilities. Thanks!
    North mills is closed? Dang. You could always do the free roadside camping. You can try lake Powhatan at bent creek, but they're likely closed then as well. Bummers dude.

mtbr member
    North mills is closed? Dang. You could always do the free roadside camping. You can try lake Powhatan at bent creek, but they're likely closed then as well. Bummers dude.
    it is definitely a bummer!! my buddy just waited too long to pull the trigger on the camping.

Thanks for all the recommendations, either we will get there next week or use this great info for a better planned trip in the spring!

I did think about going to the Bike Farm and reserving one of those glam big tents on the decks and hanging there.
    '15 Transition Smuggler

Big Mac
    it is definitely a bummer!! my buddy just waited too long to pull the trigger on the camping.

Thanks for all the recommendations, either we will get there next week or use this great info for a better planned trip in the spring!

I did think about going to the Bike Farm and reserving one of those glam big tents on the decks and hanging there.
    You should definitely just go for it! The weather looks great and this is a great time to experience pisgah. DO IT!!

mtbr member
    You should definitely just go for it! The weather looks great and this is a great time to experience pisgah. DO IT!!
    I agree, I also checked the weather for next weekend and it's going to be perfect!!
    '15 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Saw a bunch of road side campers yesterday in the NMR area. Tough part with NF roadside camping is you really don't know what you got till you get there.

mtbr member
    after further consideration, with them guys waiting too long to set up this trip we are just going to table it until spring and do it right! Thanks for the suggestions as they will come in handy then!!
    '15 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I would pick a date for spring soon. Camper sites get booked early. I have booked 4 months in advance only to find no hookup sites. Just saying

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    So apparently my friend was able to get a spot at Lake Powhatan:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/La...93d89450b90cbb

Anyone have any experience with riding around that area?
    '15 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Bent creek it's a blast, green lick is fun.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Um, you might try here: Oskar Blues REEB Ranch - mountain bike lodging & riding

This is the Oskar Blues camping area & is in riding proximity to DuPont.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by man.cave View Post
    Bent creek it's a blast, green lick is fun.

so this is a good spot for riding? I see them on google maps (Bent Creek for sure)
    '15 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    so this is a good spot for riding? I see them on google maps (Bent Creek for sure)
    Yes, a fantastic place for riding. If you want a mini adventure, take the gravel (Bent Creek Gap Rd) up and over the Blue Ridge Parkway to the NMR Recreation Area. From there you can access the NMR trails like Trace Ridge, Spencer Branch, and Fletcher Creek.

But staying in Bent Creek, my go to trails would include Greens Lick, Ingles Field Gap (down as well), Explorer Loop, and the entire Lower Sidehill.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Yeah, not real difficult, but very convenient from the campground, which is nice. I will stay there 3 nights with my family and get 80 to 90 miles in and that's swapping ride time with my wife due to our kids. Going down green lick is the most fun trail out there in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Yes, a fantastic place for riding. If you want a mini adventure, take the gravel (Bent Creek Gap Rd) up and over the Blue Ridge Parkway to the NMR Recreation Area. From there you can access the NMR trails like Trace Ridge, Spencer Branch, and Fletcher Creek.

But staying in Bent Creek, my go to trails would include Greens Lick, Ingles Field Gap (down as well), Explorer Loop, and the entire Lower Sidehill.
    Quote Originally Posted by man.cave View Post
    Yeah, not real difficult, but very convenient from the campground, which is nice. I will stay there 3 nights with my family and get 80 to 90 miles in and that's swapping ride time with my wife due to our kids. Going down green lick is the most fun trail out there in my opinion.

ok cool, thank you both for the recommendations!!
    '15 Transition Smuggler

Big Mac
    Lake Powhatan is in the heart of bent creek. It's a fine place to ride. While far from epic, BC does give you a taste of what the area offers. And as mentioned, you can ride trail and gravel into north mills. And if you're adventurous, you can ride to pisgah proper without much ado. Stop by Carolina fatz and get a map. BC is easy to navigate and you should just plan to ride it all. Have fun. Gonna be nice.

mtbr member
    Lake Powhatan is in the heart of bent creek. It's a fine place to ride. While far from epic, BC does give you a taste of what the area offers. And as mentioned, you can ride trail and gravel into north mills. And if you're adventurous, you can ride to pisgah proper without much ado. Stop by Carolina fatz and get a map. BC is easy to navigate and you should just plan to ride it all. Have fun. Gonna be nice.
    awesome, thank you!!
    '15 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Headed to Pisgah March 25-27. On my radar is Claw hammer to ride Black mountain down. But I have also read about going left at the top of Claw hammer and taking Black to Buckwheat knob to Bennet Gap a seasonal trail with some awesome Gnar that will be open. Also thinking about Green's Lick/ Ingles field gap loop. What do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Mac
    Black Mountain from either direction is awesome. Bennet is awesome. Greens lick is in Bent Creek and is not awesome. At least not as compared to Pisgah. It is my opinion that if you've 3 days to ride in pisgah, then stay in pisgah. There's no reason for you to go to Bent Creek.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. Do you know another 15 mile or so loop we could do around Pisgah?

Big Mac
    Laurel/pilot is a gem of a loop. Combining Daniel ridge with Butter gap to long branch is another.

mtbr member
    Awesome. Thank you. Much appreciated

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhand80 View Post
    Headed to Pisgah March 25-27. On my radar is Claw hammer to ride Black mountain down. But I have also read about going left at the top of Claw hammer and taking Black to Buckwheat knob to Bennet Gap a seasonal trail with some awesome Gnar that will be open. Also thinking about Green's Lick/ Ingles field gap loop. What do you think?

Do all of them. But you can go left and end with descent on Bennett, then climb back up Presley Gap and finish on the end of Black to Sycamore.

mtbr member
    Laurel/pilot is a gem of a loop. Combining Daniel ridge with Butter gap to long branch is another.
    Where do you park for the Laurel/ Pilot Loop. Which direction do I ride. Just need a better explanation of the loop. Thanks

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhand80 View Post
    Where do you park for the Laurel/ Pilot Loop. Which direction do I ride. Just need a better explanation of the loop. Thanks

I'm not sure on the status of yellow gap rd (1206), but it's likely closed, so you'd want to park at the 276 end of 1206. Ride up 1206 toward yellow gap proper and pick up laurel mtn. You'll want to ride that loop ccw.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure on the status of yellow gap rd (1206), but it's likely closed, so you'd want to park at the 276 end of 1206. Ride up 1206 toward yellow gap proper and pick up laurel mtn. You'll want to ride that loop ccw.
    This is great thank you