Camp/ride at Lake Powhatan- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2017

Camp/ride at Lake Powhatan

Planning an RV trip to WNC. Heard that this spot would be a good place for my girlfriend and I, and trail dog. Camp at Lake Powhatan, and would be able to ride right from there. And that there are easy/green trails that would be girlfriend friendly, but also some challenging ride options too. Can any local confirm/ give more advice? Thanks for any help https://www.recreation.gov/camping/lake-powhatan/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=7020 6

since 4/10/2009
    Yeah, those trails are closest to my house. I ride there fairly regularly.

And in fact, I rode there yesterday and afterwards stopped at the campground to have a beer with a friend from Indiana who is finishing up a monthlong southeastern camp/mtb retirement celebration trip. He has a pretty big 5th wheel and was camping there. Part of the campground is closed for the season right now, though, so sites are a bit tough to get. My friend had to cut his visit by a day because the campsite wasn't available for the full time he wanted.

It's worth pointing out that the trails there is that the network isn't the most cohesive, and it certainly wasn't planned out before construction with the beginner trails closest to the entrance and the tougher ones farthest away. Some of it follows that logic, but some of it doesn't. So you occasionally find some of the easier trails farther away from where you might expect by the entrance/campground.

Also, while a lot of folks do ride with dogs out there (saw one yesterday wearing a hunter orange vest), word is that riding with unleashed dogs isn't kosher anymore. Haven't heard about enforcement of it, but it apparently comes from the county.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Yeah, those trails are closest to my house. I ride there fairly regularly.

And in fact, I rode there yesterday and afterwards stopped at the campground to have a beer with a friend from Indiana who is finishing up a monthlong southeastern camp/mtb retirement celebration trip. He has a pretty big 5th wheel and was camping there. Part of the campground is closed for the season right now, though, so sites are a bit tough to get. My friend had to cut his visit by a day because the campsite wasn't available for the full time he wanted.

It's worth pointing out that the trails there is that the network isn't the most cohesive, and it certainly wasn't planned out before construction with the beginner trails closest to the entrance and the tougher ones farthest away. Some of it follows that logic, but some of it doesn't. So you occasionally find some of the easier trails farther away from where you might expect by the entrance/campground.

Also, while a lot of folks do ride with dogs out there (saw one yesterday wearing a hunter orange vest), word is that riding with unleashed dogs isn't kosher anymore. Haven't heard about enforcement of it, but it apparently comes from the county.
    Thanks for the quick reply H !,
    Ill have to just study the trail system, use my GPS if needed, etc. When riding with just my dog and I, I love exploring, but to keep us ( my GF ) on the easy trails/gravel roads , Ill have to study up.
    Looks like the "Lakeside" loop is open....would know or have a choice on site number? ( ya , long shot question )
    no unleased trail dogs?!!!! boooooooooo!!
    My dates are around Dec 4th.....hopefully the place will be empty.
    Thanks again for all the info , Harold

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by spleeft View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply H !,
    Ill have to just study the trail system, use my GPS if needed, etc. When riding with just my dog and I, I love exploring, but to keep us ( my GF ) on the easy trails/gravel roads , Ill have to study up.
    Looks like the "Lakeside" loop is open....would know or have a choice on site number? ( ya , long shot question )
    no unleased trail dogs?!!!! boooooooooo!!
    My dates are around Dec 4th.....hopefully the place will be empty.
    Thanks again for all the info , Harold
    I don't have campsite recommendations. I haven't camped there. My friend was in 37, iirc. Seemed nice.

Lots of gated (and ungated) gravel roads. They can get steep AF in some places, but you can get a long way off on them. At least one will take you towards the Mills River area on the other side of the parkway.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

rsa
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    If your dog is well behaved and clad in orange, then you should be ok. In my experience, the Powhatan caretakers seem to be pretty invested in making sure that dogs are on leash in the campground area.

Explorer and other trails closer to the lake should be pretty tame (moderate in parts, but nothing demoralizing). If you want really easy, then ride the gravel road that parallels Bent Creek all the way into the arboretum.

The more strenuous trails are ingles, greenslick, and parts of sidehill.

mtbr member
    The NC Arboretum is great for mellow rides. Its s cool place and my wife and I ride it often when just out for a mellow spin. Its free to access from Bent Creek but don't get locked in.

Official Cooler Inspector
    Old timer local - Bent Creek is out the back door. The leash rule is getting stricter, but on the higher trails (Hickory/Greens Lick) you might have some freedom. Stay in the section by the lake. The other loop is on a hill. Have fun!
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died